Chapter 5

When Dreams Come True (Sequel to Cinderella)

 

                “Good morning, Yumi. Time to wake up. I know it’s a bit early in the morning, but the guys are going to be coming over in a little while and I thought I would get you up in time to grab some breakfast and possibly a shower.” Jayne said as she walked into the guest bedroom. Yumi’s back was to Jayne and despite Jayne talking in a normal tone, Yumi seemed dead to the world. “Yumi…Yumi…wake up.” Jayne started to gently shake her body but nothing happened. An evil grin overcame Jayne’s face and yanking back the bed covers, she started to tickle Yumi’s sleeping form. Despite a light smack and shifting her body, the sleeping log did not wake up. Putting her hands on her hips, Jayne wondered what she could do to wake Yumi. A light bulb went off over Jayne’s head and she dashed into her bedroom to retrieve her phone. Slipping quietly back in the guest bedroom (as if Yumi was going to wake up…), Jayne inched over to the top of the bed. Placing her phone a safe enough distance away from Yumi’s ear, Jayne pressed the button and let the Mexican air horn sound repeat in its shrill tone. Immediately Yumi jumped up and screamed, falling out of the bed in the process.

                “What the…???” Yumi huffed as Jayne burst out into laughter.

                “Why, good morning, sunshine. Nice to see you so chipper. I see you and Dongho share something in common. I hope you don’t have early classes scheduled at Pai Chai University or else you’ll be in for some big fat F’s.” Jayne smirked as Yumi shot her a deathly glare. “As I said to your comatose form, the guys will be coming over shortly so I decided to wake you up in time for you to grab a bite to eat and get ready…unless this is how you like presenting yourself in the morning…” Jayne continued as Yumi shook her head profusely. Getting up, she winced and rubbed a sore spot on the back of her head. “I don’t think you’re the type to drink coffee, but I have a pot brewing in case you do.”

                “You don’t want to see me on coffee, trust me. It’s for your own good.” Yumi stuck her tongue out.

                “Um…okay. Well I should have some orange juice in the fridge that you’re more than welcome to.” Jayne offered as Yumi nodded.

                “Coffee makes me bounce off the walls. Orange juice will work perfectly, thank you.” Yumi explained.

                “I see. I should make a note not to have you and Eli in the same room when he binges on Red Bull. You think you get crazy? I’m sure you’d make Eli look normal in comparison.” Jayne trailed off.

                “That bad, huh?”

                “You don’t even want to know…” Jayne snickered as she left to grab a cup of coffee to jump-start her morning. Yumi decided to hop in the shower before settling down to eat the breakfast Jayne was preparing.

***

                An hour and half later the intercom went off in Jayne’s apartment. The first to arrive were Dongho, Hoon, Kiseop, and his girlfriend, Sarah.

                “NOONA!!!” Dongho exclaimed as Jayne opened the door. Opening it wide enough for the others to step in, he let the others enter. Jayne bowed slightly to each member and just as she was getting done, Dongho bombarded her with a hearty hug. Jayne couldn’t help but laugh at his enthusiasm.

                “It’s so good to see you again, Dongho! I missed you. You’ve been well?” Jayne asked as he nodded. He had a mischievous twinkle in his eye and Jayne didn’t even have to blink twice before mentioning where he could locate his cookies that she made for him back in the States. He cheered and went to make a dash to the kitchen when Jayne whipped around and grabbed the back of his shirt. “Goodness, Dongho…is that the way you act around guests?” Jayne scolded him.

                “A guest? Who else is here?” Dongho asked peering around.

                “Well, maybe if you chill for a second I’ll be happy to introduce you…” Jayne sighed in exasperation. Turning around, Jayne faced the others. “Yumi, the guys are here.” Jayne called out. Yumi emerged from the guest bedroom and entered the living room. “Yumi, these are the other members of the group: Hoon, Kiseop, and Dongho.” The guys waved in return and bowed slightly. “Guys, Yumi was one of my former students when I first started teaching in the States. She was just awarded a scholarship to Pai Chai University and will be starting next week.” Jayne smiled as Yumi waved shyly.

                “Welcome to Korea, Yumi. I’m Kiseop. This is my girlfriend, Sarah. I hope you enjoy your stay and all that Korea has to offer.” Kiseop beamed.

                “Hi, Yumi. I’m a student at Pai Chai, too. Maybe I can show you around campus later on? Do you know where your dorm is located?” Sarah asked in her Australian accent.

                “I have the paperwork in my suitcase. We just arrived yesterday afternoon. Did you want to see it?” Yumi said, motioning for Sarah to follow her. Both girls made their way to the guest bedroom, leaving the guys and Jayne behind.

                “Yumi seems like a sweet girl.” Kiseop said as he walked over to greet Jayne.

                “She is. It’s a good thing that Sarah goes to Pai Chai as well. I was worried that Yumi would feel a bit overwhelmed about being a foreign exchange student. Hopefully they’ll become good friends.” Jayne replied after she broke apart from Kiseop’s hug.

                “I wouldn’t see why they wouldn’t get along. They already seem like they’re off to a good start.” Kiseop grinned as Jayne nodded. She walked over to Hoon and wrapped him in a friendly hug.

                “Um…noona…” Dongho spoke up, making Jayne break apart from her embrace.

                “Yes, Dongho…” Jayne responded as he flashed the cutest aegyo smile.

                “Cookies…” Dongho mumbled barely loud enough for anyone to hear.

                “Aigoo…child, what am I going to do with you?” Jayne rolled her eyes as she beckoned with her hand for him to follow her. He obliged like a lost puppy. Moments later he was given his prize and his eyes lit up like a child waking up on Christmas morning to a room full of presents.

                “May I?” Dongho whispered, pleading with his eyes. Jayne merely nodded and as he ripped apart the plastic bag they were sealed in, his eyes closed as he took his first bite. “MMMMMM! Oh, noona…these are mas-issneun (delicious)! You are too good to me. What would I ever do without you?”

                “Starve?” Jayne teased as Dongho shrugged.

                “You’re probably right. I’m glad I have you to watch over me.” Dongho grinned sheepishly. Jayne ruffled his hair lightly and planted a kiss on his forehead.

                “You better not forget that either!” Jayne said as she raised her eyebrow. “Hoon, Kiseop, I made a fresh batch of coffee a few minutes ago. Do you boys want some?” Jayne asked as they walked into the kitchen.

                “Sure, I’ll take a cup.” Hoon replied as Jayne searched in her cupboard for a mug.

                “Me, too.” Kiseop responded as Jayne pulled out two mugs.

                “When will the others be here?” Jayne inquired as Kiseop glanced at his phone.

                “I’d say within the next ten to fifteen minutes, if not sooner.” Kiseop said as Sarah and Yumi walked into the dining room area.

                “Wait a minute…what is that? Is that what I think it is?” Yumi gasped in Dongho’s direction as her eyes started to glaze over.

                “Um…this?” Dongho asked, holding up the bag. Yumi nodded silently. “Noona made me some cookies when she was on vacation.” Dongho eyed Yumi suspiciously.

                “Ms. Fleming…how come you made cookies for Dongho and not me?” Yumi whined.

                “You like cookies?” Jayne said, caught off guard.

                “Is the sky blue?” Yumi asked as everyone laughed.

                “I like her already.” Dongho held the bag open and offered it to Yumi. She stood there frozen at his gesture. “They won’t bite you, I promise.” Dongho winked, making Yumi giggle. She relaxed and took one, thanking him before taking a bite. Her expression matched his reaction just moments before.

                “Are you sure you’re not long lost brother and sister separated at birth? I swear the mannerisms you share are scary!” Jayne said, looking from Dongho to Yumi.

                “Never know…anything’s possible.” Dongho said as they all made their way into the living room to converse with each other. Ten minutes later Soohyun, AJ, and Kevin arrived, followed by Eli and Jenna.

                “JAYNE!!!” Jenna squealed as she hugged her tightly.

                “Jenna! I missed you so much, sweetie!” Jayne replied after letting go. “So, Eli says you’ve got some news to tell me. Was I missing out on something while I was on vacation?”

                “Well, it’s not that important…just need to catch you up on some things that happened while you were away.” Jenna answered back. Jayne introduced Jenna to Yumi and Sarah. “So you’re Kiseop’s girlfriend! I’ve heard so much about you. It’s so nice to finally meet you.” Jenna smiled at Sarah. “Oh, Jayne, I almost forgot…I have a nail appointment that I have to get ready to be leaving for in half an hour. Will you come with me? That way we can catch up on things and see about getting you pampered as well. Don’t worry, it’ll be my treat.”

                “Really? I don’t know…I don’t want to leave Yumi…” Jayne trailed off.

                “Oh no, it’s okay, Ms. Fleming. Sarah wants to take me on campus and give me a mini tour so I know where everything is before I go next week. You should go. Don’t stay behind on my behalf.” Yumi suggested as Jayne looked back at Jenna. Jenna was giving her a cute aegyo pout that Jayne couldn’t resist.

                “Aigoo…you all know I can’t resist when you give me faces like that. Okay, it’s a deal. You guys won’t mind me going, will you?” Jayne directed her question at the U-Kiss members. They didn’t mind one bit. Half an hour later, Eli left with Jenna and Jayne.

                “I’ll be back as soon as I drop them off.” Eli called out before he closed the door.

                “Good thing that worked out! I was so worried there for a minute.” Soohyun said as everyone looked at him in confusion. “Jenna was supposed to distract Jayne from staying here. I purposely had us all meet here because I want to get some ideas for tomorrow night. I want to whisk Jayne away and make it a night she won’t forget. I was hoping you all could help me with that.”

                “What do you want to know? How can I help?” Yumi asked as everyone who was left in Jayne’s apartment gathered around the coffee table.

                “What do you think Jayne will like to do that will be romantic and special? I was thinking of taking her out to dinner at a nice, fancy restaurant. Any ideas?” Soohyun nervously tapped his fingers on his legs. Ideas were thrown around and Soohyun started jotting notes on a pad of paper.

                “Wow, you’re really serious about this.” Hoon stated as Soohyun started to blush.

                “I know that Jayne likes her privacy. I wouldn’t go someplace that would be too crowded. She can still be shy around large groups of people.” Yumi spoke up. With that being mentioned, some places were crossed off the list.

                “Well, I want to cater to her needs as much as possible. This isn’t about me…it’s about making it a night she will never forget. Well, at least not for a while. Yumi, Sarah, what other things can you think of that Jayne might like?” Soohyun directed his question to them.

                “I can’t speak that much on her behalf since I just met her today. If you want a female perspective I can offer some suggestions, but your answers to that rely more on Yumi.” Sarah pointed out.

                “I know Jayne is a Cancer. Anything dealing with the water makes her feel at peace and comfortable. Can that be incorporated?” Yumi asked as the guys looked at her in confusion.

                “Oh, Yumi, I don’t think the guys know what you’re talking about since Korea goes by blood type and not horoscope signs.” Sarah replied. Yumi raised her eyebrow as Sarah described a person’s personality being explained by a person’s blood type.

                “Wait…I got it! I know the perfect place.” Kiseop gasped. Everyone looked at him. “The ‘ON’ restaurant that sits on the edge of the water at the Han River.”

                “Soohyun, that’s where you took Yura for the ‘We Are Dating’ show.” Dongho recollected.

                “Do you think Jayne will like that?” Soohyun asked, unsure of the suggestion.

                “Why wouldn’t she?” AJ responded as the rest of them agreed.

                “Well, because I took Yura there. I don’t think Jayne has watched the show unless she saw it online…” Soohyun fidgeted, obviously starting to get nervous.

                “So what. It was for a tv show. You are taking Jayne there to sweep her off her feet. It sounds like the perfect place.” Kevin spoke up.

                “Okay, we’ll stick with the ‘ON’ restaurant for now. Guess I should call there and see about setting up arrangements.” Soohyun searched for the number online with his cell phone and after locating it, excused himself to place the call.