Chapter 3

When Dreams Come True (Sequel to Cinderella)

 

                 It was ten hours into the tedious fifteen hour flight. The trip from Alabama to Dallas was a piece of cake; the direct flight from Dallas to Seoul was a different story. As much as Jayne wanted to sleep, her brain was buzzing with excitement. The seats were quite comfortable on the Korean Airlines plane, but to no avail; Jayne could not stop fidgeting. Unbeknownst to Jayne, Yumi was a light sleeper.

                “Too excited to sleep?” Yumi said as she barely opened one eye. Jayne almost had a mini heart attack hearing Yumi speak, as she was off in her little dream world.

                “I’m so sorry, Yumi. I didn’t realize I had woken you up. I guess I have a lot on my mind.” Jayne replied, turning her face towards Yumi.

                “Do you need to talk about it? I’m sure we have a few more hours before we get to Korea.” Yumi smiled, extending the invitation.

                “Really? You’d want to hear me banter on and on about my exciting life?” Jayne giggled, a hint of sarcasm in her voice.

                “Well, if anything, you might be able to put me back to sleep.” Yumi grinned as Jayne feigned being hurt and lightly punched her in the arm.

                “I do have a confession to make. I’m in a relationship with a wonderful man. He’s picking us up at the airport along with two of his coworkers. He works with six all together, and they’re so close they call each other ‘hyungs’ which is the term for brother. We’ve been dating for a year now. I don’t get to see him as often as I’d like. His job keeps him very busy. So, if we’re ‘ face’ so to speak when we meet in the airport, just ignore us.” Jayne sighed happily. Yumi didn’t know how to react with Jayne’s last sentence, sitting with a blank look on her face. An awkward silence overcame the space between them. Noticing this, Jayne cleared and tried to transition to another topic.

                “So,…are you excited about going to Pai Chai University?” Jayne mumbled as she twirled a strand of her hair.

                "Nu uuuuuh don't change topics! You just said you have a boyfriend!" Yumi said as she glared at Jayne.
                "Er…well…uhmmm..." Jayne stuttered.
                "Spill it! I wanna know everything!" Yumi wasn’t going to back down until Jayne explained herself.
                “Then you're in for a long flight." Jayne snickered.
                “We have a good five hours left of our flight.” Yumi gathered this information from looking at the projection of the flight information from the mini screen attached to the back of the seat in front of her. “You might as well go ahead and tell me." Jayne eyed Yumi suspiciously and then shrugged her shoulders. She closed her eyes to gather her thoughts with a big grin on her face. Yumi inconspicuously slipped in the right side of her headphones into her ear, checking to make sure that Jayne didn’t see. Very discreetly she waved a hand in front of Jayne’s face and noticing no reaction, settled in to her seat pretending to listen as she started to zone out.  
                                                                                                ***
                The remaining five hours had finally passed, announcing the arrival of Jayne and Yumi’s flight to Seoul Incheon International Airport. Soohyun, Eli, and Kevin were in the main lobby of the airport close to the luggage carousel. The computer screen displayed the itinerary of flights leaving and arriving, making Soohyun pace back and forth in anticipation. Luckily, no fans or paparazzi had shown up and with all three of the guys wearing face masks and baseball caps, it would be hard to distinguish them apart from any normal citizen.

                “Aigoo…I can’t take this waiting anymore! I just want to see Jayne already.” Soohyun said as Eli and Kevin looked at him with sympathy.

                “She should be walking up to us any minute now, Soo. I wonder what her friend looks like?” Eli asked, trying to distract Soohyun from going crazy.

                “Well, Jayne told me a bit about her last night. She’s only 160 cm. Brown medium length hair with chocolate eyes. She was Jayne’s former student when Jayne first started teaching in the US.” Soohyun replied as he kept looking in the direction where the passengers would be walking from the terminal. An announcement was made over the intercom letting the passengers from Jayne’s flight know which baggage carousel would have their luggage. Soohyun turned his body in the opposite direction to see where it was located. Once he returned to the position he was just in, he noticed a group of passengers walking towards him and instantly scanned the crowd to see if he could see Jayne. After a minute or two, he was able to pick her out of the crowd. He wanted so badly to run up and hug her, but with Yumi walking alongside, he decided to wait patiently. It was torture. Every second seemed to drag on as if time froze. He could hear his heart thumping so loudly that he felt as if it had jumped into his ears.

                “Oh my gosh, oh my gosh…I can see him!” Jayne whispered excitedly just loud enough for Yumi to hear. She started to quicken her pace, making Yumi have to take double the steps due to her shorter legs. Jayne had a backpack along with her purse for carry-on luggage. When she was inches away from him, she shrugged them off and let them drop to the floor as she ran into his arms. Soohyun instantly wrapped his arms around her and picked Jayne up, spinning her around. Gently he placed her feet on the carpet and leaned down, capturing her lips. Her hands wrapped around his neck as his went around her waist. The kiss was passionate and heartfelt. Jayne and Soohyun were oblivious to the world that was going on around them. Yumi had finally caught up to where Eli and Kevin were standing. As she rolled her small suitcase behind her, it bumped into the back of her leg as she went to stand it upright, causing her to drop the portfolio with her sketches. A few of her drawings slipped out of the cover, spreading onto the floor.

                “Here, I’ll help with that.” Kevin said as he started to gather a few of Yumi’s drawings. He gathered them into a neat pile and glanced at the picture on top: the most adorable picture of Pikachu he had ever seen. “Did you draw this? Wow…this is excellent! I’m Kevin. You must be noona’s former student. How are you? I hope you had a good flight here. I’m sure that was quite a long trip…”

                “Seriously, Kevin…breathe. Let this poor girl get a word in edge-wise at least. Mianhae. I’m Eli. Pleasure to meet you.” Eli bowed slightly. Yumi copied Eli’s move and accepted her portfolio back from Kevin.

                “Thank you.” Yumi said, her cheeks turning a crimson red. “Yes, I am…what was the word you referred to Ms. Fleming as?”

                “Oh…’noona?’ That’s what brothers call an older sister. We’re not literally related of course. It’s more of a term of endearment to someone that you’re really close with.” Kevin grinned as Yumi nodded.

                “Ah…right. Well, I am noona’s former student. My name is Yumi Yukita. Nice to meet you both.” Yumi shyly replied.

                “I see you guys have met. So, you know that this is Yumi.” Jayne said as her and Soohyun walked over to the three of them holding hands. “Yumi, this is my boyfriend, Soohyun.” Soohyun bowed slightly and reached out his hand to shake Yumi’s.

                “It’s so nice to finally meet you. Jayne mentioned you winning a scholarship to attend Pai Chai University. I hope you enjoy your time here. HWAITING for your studies.” Soohyun made a fist and cheered at his last sentence. Yumi stared blankly in confusion. “Oh…hahaha..’hwaiting’ is a term we use to wish each other strength and luck…like a cheer. It’s another way of saying ‘you can do it!’ “ Yumi grinned and mimicked Soohyun’s pumped fist. The two of them went back and forth with her pronunciation of saying the term. Jayne gave Eli and Kevin a hug and the five of them walked towards the baggage carousel. After receiving their suitcases, the group made their way to the parking lot and Soohyun drove them all back to Jayne’s apartment.

                “Wait, Jayne…before you go in…” Soohyun stopped Jayne once she had unlocked her apartment door. He gently placed his hands over her eyes and opened the door allowing the others to go in first. Eli brought Jayne’s luggage in while Soohyun guided Jayne inside. Upon seeing that her eyes were still closed, he held her hand and brought her into the living room. “Okay, you can open them now.” Jayne slowly opened her eyes and brought her hands up to as she gasped in astonishment.

                “You did all of this for me?” Jayne whispered as she spun around slowly in a circle. Her eyes noticed the welcome home banner all of them made as well as the streamers. Jayne’s face instantly lit up as she saw Polaroid pictures in the hallway and on the doors. Soohyun followed behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist and placing his chin on her shoulder.

                “So, noona…you like all of the decorations?” Eli asked as Jayne turned around.

                “I love it. This means so much to me! Thank you from the bottom of my heart.” Jayne grinned. She was about to go into her bedroom, but Soohyun stopped her.

                “Nuh uh…you’ll have to wait a little bit before you go in there.” Soohyun whispered up against her ear. Kevin and Eli could sense that Soohyun wanted some alone time with Jayne.

                “Noona, would it be okay if we took Yumi downtown with us?” Kevin asked, causing Jayne to whip her head in their direction.

                “Are you sure? Yumi, did you want to go with them?” Jayne hesitantly asked. She wanted alone time with Soohyun, but didn’t want to abandon Yumi either.

                “I don’t mind. That sounds like a lot of fun.” Yumi said excitedly. After gathering what they needed, Eli, Kevin, and Yumi made their way downstairs to Eli’s car.

                “So, where were we?” Soohyun smirked as he picked up Jayne bridal style and started carrying her towards the bedroom. Jayne squealed at his sudden movement, making Soohyun giggle. “Close your eyes, jagiya.” Once she did, he gingerly twisted the door knob to the bedroom door and walked the few steps to the bed, laying her body softly down on top of rose petals. Jayne slowly looked on her bed and gathered a few petals in her hand.

                “I missed you so much, yeobo. It feels so good being in your arms again!” Jayne sighed contently.

                “The feeling is mutual! You can’t imagine how happy I am to have you back.” Soohyun replied as he her cheek. Their lips met and Soohyun deepened the kiss as Jayne allowed him access to . His body hovered over top of hers as she wrapped her arms around his neck, her fingers reaching into his hair to play with it. He loved the way she touched him. His mouth travelled to her neck, planting searing kisses along her flesh. Jayne moaned softly, causing his heart to pound even harder.

                “S-Soohyun…” Jayne cried out. Soohyun broke away from her neck and gazed into her eyes as his hand tucked her hair behind her ear. They gazed at each other intently, lost in each other’s souls. “Sarangheyo.” Jayne said after a few minutes. Once he heard those words come from , his lips crushed hungrily against hers.

                “Sarangheyo.” Soohyun repeated over and over again between kisses. He had to slow his body down, fearing that his heart might explode from the happiness he was experiencing. “How did I ever get blessed with you, jagiya. I can’t believe it’s been a year already. The best year of my life. You make me so happy.” Soohyun gently rubbed his nose against hers before planting a gentle kiss on her forehead.

                “I’m the one that’s blessed.” Jayne giggled as they kissed once more. Soohyun draped his arm over her body and hugged her closely to his body as she breathed in his cologne. His right hand her hair and after a few minutes he noticed her breathing pattern indicate that she had fallen into a blissful sleep. Gingerly, his lips kissed the crown of her head. Closing his eyes, it wasn’t long before he fell asleep next to her.