Mad Truth

Down the Rabbit Hole

He arrived at a garden of a small house, where a charming hatter and a cute young man with ears of hare sticking out of his head were having a loud and cheerful tea party.

And to Kyuhyun's amazement, the rabbit man was also attending the party.

 

"Finally!" Kyuhyun exclaimed.

 

Everybody at the party (though there's only three) turned to him at the same time.

 

"Sorry for interrupting." Kyuhyun said politely.

"Well, well, well." the hatter rocketed out of his chair, stomped over the table and came straight up to Kyuhyun to observe him closely.

 

The hatter was wearing an enormous hat of a good brand (by the way, the hat had an inscription of 'Zhou Mi', so Kyuhyun assumed that it was the hatter's name), and was adorned with clothes also of famous brands.

The sharp scent of Zhou Mi's brand perfume caused nausea, almost to the extent that it was disturbing.

Moreover, this hatter wasn't really doing justice to all the brands he was adorning himself with. The hat was worn out on the brim and had rough edges. The suit colours faded into old grey, and it was in serious need of ironing. A couple of buttons of the shirt was missing (one was stuck in his ear like a hearing aid or something), the tie was coiled into a messy knot (which looked like a failed attempt at a bow tie) and the socks were inside out, with unmatching shoes making squeaky noises whenever he took a step.

Well, now that Kyuhyun saw the brand names closer, he could see why; the shoes were Gocci, the jacket was Armoni, the pants were Borberry, and the hat was Proda. Plus, all clothes and accessories of his were stamped with an unmistakable label 'Made in Wonderland'.

 

"May I see your invitation?" the hatter asked with slight hostility in his voice.

"I don't have an invitation per se." Kyuhyun replied. "But I did get invited."

"Who invited you?" Zhou Mi narrowed his eyes, not dropping his guard down.

"The blond guy." Kyuhyun gestured towards the pretty rabbit man smiling secretively.

"Sungmin, did you invite him?" Zhou Mi whipped his head to the blond guy named Sungmin.

 

Sungmin rested his chin on the back of his hand and curled his lips up at Kyuhyun.

 

"Are you sure I'm the one you're looking for?" asked Sungmin, making Kyuhyun's heart race like mad (did I mention how y and beautiful Sungmin is?).

 

Kyuhyun met Sungmin's bunny eyes and beamed back.

 

"Yes." he answered.

"Well, then." Sungmin tilted his head to one side adorably. "Maybe I did invite him."

"Great!" Zhou Mi chucked away his suspicion all of a sudden and pulled Kyuhyun into an embrace as if he was an old friend, while the cute guy with a baby face and hare ears clapped in happiness. "One more guest, how awesome is that! Sit down, sit! Let's party!"

"Oh, you know what." Sungmin said apologetically as he stood up from his seat. "I just finished my tea."

"No, you can't leave now!" the cute guy pleaded with puppy dog eyes. "The fun's just about to start!"

"I'm so sorry, Henry." Sungmin the baby face. "But I simply must get going."

 

He returned his gaze to Kyuhyun.

 

"But I wouldn't actually mind someone coming with me." he tempted Kyuhyun with a sensual bait. "Let's see if you can."

 

Kyuhyun was about to take up the challenge, when Zhou Mi and Henry swiftly blocked him by snatching his arms and forcing him to sit down on one of the chairs.

 

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no." Zhou Mi held Kyuhyun back. "You must have a cup of tea!"

"Yes, yes!" Henry hopped up and down in excitement (remember, he's a hare). "A cup of tea! You must have a cup of tea!"

 

Before Kyuhyun could say anything, Sungmin giggled, and walked up to Kyuhyun who was well-immobilized by the overacting duo of Zhou Mi and Henry, despite his skirmish to be released. Damn, these guys were strong.

 

"Aw, my poor prince." said Sungmin.

 

He then bent forward to whisper to Kyuhyun right before the latter's face.

 

"But you know my name now." he began mischievously. "That's a good starting point. I'm sure you'll find me."

 

Sungmin patted Kyuhyun's cheek before turning away with an enticing grin.

 

"Good luck, gamer."

 

He disappeared once again.

Kyuhyun groaned in frustration and leaned back sighing.

Oh, and just so you readers know, that touch by Sungmin was totally ic.

 

"Guys, I think it's okay for you to let my arms go now." Kyuhyun spoke to the duo, who released him right away. "Thank you."

"Welcome to our tea party, visitor!" Zhou Mi stretched out his arms.

"Yeah, thanks." Kyuhyun shut his eyes and let out a short, despondent laugh.

"So!" Zhou Mi poured a cup of tea. "Who are you, and where do you come from?"

"Don't ask me, I'm getting confused myself." answered Kyuhyun truthfully.

"But you must know!" Zhou Mi squealed, handing over the cup to Kyuhyun. "We all need to ponder about who we are and where we come from!"

 

Kyuhyun received the cup in appreciation and drank a sip of the tea without a care in the world, only to immediately spurt it out all over the table and all over Henry who was just sitting there with an innocent smile and got victimized without a warning.

 

"Careful, it's steaming hot." Zhou Mi beamed.

"Christ, you should have told me before!" Kyuhyun complained, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.

"Ah~ But you must think!" Zhou Mi prodded Kyuhyun's forehead. "Use your head! It's not there only for you to put hats on!"

"Great advice, I'm so touched." Kyuhyun said sarcastically.

"You're very much welcome." Zhou Mi perked himself up. "Thinking is always a good advice. We are living in the Age of Reason, after all! Everything has a reason, and we pride ourselves with thinking about those reasons. Don't we, Henry?"

"Yes, of course!" Henry responded with enthusiasm. "Reason is everything, and everything is Reason!"

"Exactly my point!" Zhou Mi agreed. "We package ourselves up with a silk robe of intelligence!"

 

Shaking his head in disbelief, Kyuhyun chose to disregard them.

But before Kyuhyun could bring the tea cup to his lips again, Zhou Mi stole the cup from Kyuhyun's hand and inched closer.

 

"So what is your REASON for coming here?" he questioned.

"I came here to find the white rabbit." Kyuhyun gave in.

"Why?" Zhou Mi inquired again.

"Because I was curious about him."

"Why?"

"Because I've never seen one like him before."

"Why?"

"Because I'm a normal human, and he's not."

"Why?"

"Because-" Kyuhyun exploded. "Would you quit? What the hell are you playing at?"

"It's not a very good idea to be mad in a conversation, dear." Zhou Mi clicked his tongue. "That's how you lose in an argument."

"An argument?" Kyuhyun furrowed his brow. "This conversation is nowhere near an ARGUMENT."

"What are you talking about? Every conversation is an argument!" Zhou Mi argued hotly and furiously out of the blue. "And losing one's temper in a conversation reflects how uncivilized and inferior he is!"

"So civilized and superior people don't get angry at all?" Kyuhyun jeered. "That's nonsense."

"Nonsense, that's right!" Zhou Mi grabbed Kyuhyun's head without a warning and turned it around. "Look around you. Do you see the Nature? It's never neat, it's a complete nonsense! And we're living in it! Nonsense exists, because sense exists, you see? We're living in the Age of Reason, and reason is all about being sensible, which is all about making sense, and we're living in the Nature, which is nonsense. Therefore, nonsense makes sense!"

"Oh, I love nonsense~" Henry cooed with dreamy goo-goo eyes, reaching for a piece of rice cake on the table almost unconsciously.

"I gotta say, you guys are a bit weird." Kyuhyun commented.

"Henry! Get your hands off that mochi, they're for my dead hamsters!" Zhou Mi growled.

"Okay, a lot weird." Kyuhyun rephrased.

"Well, what's more beautiful than weirdness?" Zhou Mi burst out laughing.

 

He choked violently on his own laughter, slamming his fist against his chest.

 

"Oh, dear." he picked up Kyuhyun's tea and gargled with it. "Ah~ That's better."

"Have a cookie!" Henry offered Kyuhyun a heart-shaped cookie that had the words 'eat me' in pink icing.

 

When Kyuhyun was about to take the cookie, Zhou Mi hit it away.

 

"No, don't eat the cookie!" he screamed. "It's gonna make you bigger. And don't ask me where!"

"I can't believe I'm actually sitting here." Kyuhyun moaned.

"What?" Henry widened his eyes and started to look for something wildly, lifting up the table cloth to peek underneath. "Then where are you?"

"I'm here." Kyuhyun knitted his eyebrows.

 

Henry removed the lid of a teapot to see if Kyuhyun was in there and yelled into it.

 

"But you said you can't believe that!"

"Belief brings things into existence." Zhou Mi explained in a drunken tone, then tapped the table. "If you believe that this is a table, then it is a table. If you believe that I am here, then I am here! If you believe that I want tea, then I want tea! I want my tea! My tea! Where's my tea?"

"Here! Here! Here!" Henry offered Zhou Mi a cup of tea. "Milk? Sugar?"

"Sugar. Two spoons, please!"

 

Henry two spoons (yes, SPOONS) in front of Zhou Mi.

 

"Thank you, yes. How generous." Zhou Mi jammed the spoons in the tea cup and took a big bite at them like they were candy floss or something.

 

The sound of Zhou Mi's teeth relentlessly clanking against the solid metal caused Kyuhyun to wince. Surely it must have broken a tooth or two, for heaven's sake.

Zhou Mi glared indignantly at the spoons for a second, then took one of them and hit Henry on the head with it.

 

"Ow!" Henry wrapped his head with both hands.

"How many times do I have to tell you!" Zhou Mi roared. "No artificial sweetener! It hurts my teeth!"

"I'm sorry." Henry whimpered.

"Now, where were we?" Zhou Mi gobbled down the tea as if nothing happened.

"Riddles!" Henry flapped his arms. "We were solving riddles!"

"Riddles, yes, very good." Zhou Mi nodded, pushing down Kyuhyun who was trying to escape from this madness. "Let's see, hmm....I got an excellent one. Why is a raven like a writing desk?"

"Oh! Oh! I know! Pick me! Pick me!" Henry bounced up and down.

"I'd like to hear from our guest." Zhou Mi urged Kyuhyun who was in no mood for this silly riddle. "What do you say, visitor?"

"I wouldn't have a clue." Kyuhyun answered in a 'I'm ing bored, can I please go now' voice.

"My, my, you got it right!" Zhou Mi said excitedly.

"I did?" Kyuhyun wrinkled his brow.

"Of course! That's the answer to every question posed in this world. Our job is to seek the ones that WE think important! Well done, traveller!"

 

Zhou Mi pulled off his hat and grabbed something out of it.

It was a box of food (wherever THAT came from).

Or Kyuhyun's only guessing that it's food because it smelled pretty nice, unlike the raw fish from that Captain Dodo guy.

 

"Here's your prize." Zhou Mi gave it to Kyuhyun.

"What is this?" Kyuhyun asked.

"Beijing fried rice." Zhou Mi replied. "But don't eat it."

"Why not?"

"It's only for you to use as a method to seek your answer."

 

Before Kyuhyun could even digest those words properly, Zhou Mi and Henry started to pack up the stuffs at full speed all of a sudden.

 

"Party's over! Clear out, clear out!" Zhou Mi carried all the cups, pots and snacks in his arms and dashed off the scene, with Henry running after him.

 

At a blink of an eye, Kyuhyun was absolutely deserted.

 

'What the....' he thought.

He was alone in the darkness of the forest. Again.

The garden, the house, the tables and chairs....they were all gone to dust in a bare moment, as if it was just a dream.