Siblings

Fix You

“So what was that all about?” Baekhyun stuffed his chemistry textbook into his bag, along with his notebooks and other school supplies.

 

Chen stood next to him, waiting for the redhead to finish packing his things. Unlike Baekhyun, he usually only carried a notebook and some pens and pencils. He did this not because he knew his peers would most likely have their textbooks with them if he needed them, but mostly because he never really looked at the textbook anyway. He understood all the material, and that was good enough for him. “What was what all about?”

 

Baekhyun paused, seeing if Kyungsoo and Joonmyun had left, and they did. It seemed like he was always the last one out of the classroom. “Do you hate Joonmyun or something?” He threw his heavy bag over his shoulder with a grunt, nearly knocking a test tube rack over.

 

Chen grabbed the test tube rack before it could topple. “Not exactly,” he replied, and began to head towards the door. “I wouldn’t use the word hate, more like we’re similar in a sense. You know how magnets with the same pole will repel each other? It’s a little bit like that.”

 

The shorter male followed his friend through the door and the pair headed up the stairs to their lockers. Baekhyun realized he didn’t actually know that much about Chen, about his family, his hobbies, or even his likes and dislikes. “Is there a reason?”

 

They arrived at their locker, and Chen twirled his lock expertly. “We both have a lot of hatred for the world around us.”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes widened. “Excuse me?”

 

Chen grinned. “Even though we don’t get along, we have a mutual respect for each other. I think it’s safe to say we both seen things that would cause a normal person to be traumatized.” He opened his locker and took out a bag of sour gummy worms, offering one to Baekhyun.

 

The redhead took a blue and orange worm with a puzzled look on his face. “So you’re saying you’re not normal.”

 

“I never said I was.”

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and held up a fist. “If you keep talking in riddle I’m going to punch you.”

 

Chen laughed, and went into a mock defensive posture. “Ah okay, okay. If you really must know, ask Minseok. I’ve known him since we were kids, and he could probably explain it a lot better than I can.”

 

Baekhyun frowned. “But that’s---”

 

He stopped mid sentence when a shadow loomed over him. The shadow belonged to Chanyeol, standing way too close to Baekhyun and staring downwards. “Are you coming over the study today?” His low voice rumbled in his chest, causing the shorter boy’s heart to skip a beat.

 

Baekhyun looked at Chen, who nodded slightly and gave him a look that said, text me later. Baekhyun nodded in return and turned to Chanyeol. “Um, yeah. Maybe we could get some food first?”

 

The taller boy nodded, but didn’t say anything. He started heading down the hallway without waiting for Baekhyun. He turned towards his friend, giving him a look of concern and confusion. Chen laughed. “What are you looking at? Go chase after your boyfriend.”

 

“He’s not my boyfriend!” Baekhyun cried indignantly and chased after Chanyeol.

 

Chen watched his best friend run after the tall bully, his fake smile returning to a cold stare. Minseok materialized beside Chen, giving a firm pat. “Hey, what’s gotten your in a knot?”

 

“Nothing, just a little concerned for Baekhyun.” Chen shrugged and began walking down the hall.

 

“You? Concerned?” Minseok said with exaggerated surprise. “Wow, the world must be ending or something for you to be concerned about someone else’s well-being.” He snickered as Chen punched him in the arm, and apologized while laughing.

 

The pair headed down the stairs and towards the front doors. “Wanna come over today?” Minseok asked as they began to walk home.

 

Chen thought for a moment before shrugging. “Sure, I don’t have work today. Besides, I think I owe Minhyun candy.” Minhyun was Minseok’s little brother, a 12 year-old child who was already attending SM High as a fourth year. His dream was to become an architect, and an engineering school in America had already recognized his talents through a designing competition.

 

They arrived at Minseok’s house, which was a huge mansion in the heart of Gangnam. In fact, many of the students of SM High, including Luhan, Lay, and Joonmyun lived in that area. It was standard for the wealthy to live in that area and hold social events around there.

 

“Mom, I’m home!” Minseok yelled as he entered the house. “Chen’s here too.”

 

Quick footsteps roared down the stairs as a small child threw himself at his brother. “Hyung, you’re home!” He grinned up at his older brother. He was unusually short for his age.

 

Minseok ruffled the child’s hair and smiled. “Hello, Minhyun.” There was a hint of tiredness and resentment as he looked down at his little brother. Chen watched sadly before Minhyun detached himself from his brother and attached himself to Chen.

 

The dark-brown haired boy reached into his backpack and pulled out a pack of melon hi-chews. “I owe you this from that time you brought me that mini model of the Empire State Building.” Minhyun laughed and thanked Chen, who ruffled his hair affectionately.

 

Suddenly the door banged open and a tall, thin Korean girl with eccentric hair and makeup strut through the door. “Minji is home!” The girl announced loudly as she dropped her designer purse on the floor and kicked off her expensive heels. Minji, Minseok’s older sister, was a successful fashion designer in Seoul. She studied in Italy for two years and worked with some of the world’s most famous fashion designers. Minji was often complimented for her bizarre style and creativity.

 

Minseok winced at his sister’s loud attitude. “Why are you home?” He gave her a disgusted look.

 

Minji looked over her sunglasses and raised an eyebrow. “Well if it isn’t my darling little brother.” Her voice dripped with sarcasm, and she drew out the word darling. “I’m here to visit mom, not you.” She turned to Chen and smiled sweetly, kissing his cheeks in greeting. “Why if it isn’t Chen! You still look like a model. How would you like to be in my next photoshoot?”

 

Chen pushed the older woman away gently. “No thank you, noona. As a detective, its better if my face in unknown to the public.” He glanced sideways at Minseok, who was staring blankly at his phone. Geez…

 

“What’s all the commotion?” Everybody looked up as a tall, handsome male walked into the foyer. He looked to be in about his 30s, and there was an air of gentle regality about him. It was none other than Minseok’s older brother, Minho. Minho is the head cardiologist of a hospital in Los Angeles, and studied at Harvard. He is also married and already has one child aged 2 years old.

 

“Minho?” All the “Min” siblings chimed at the same time in surprise. It wasn’t every day the oldest brother came home, since he was always busy with his work.

 

“Hey kids,” he replied with a wave. A tiny lady wearing an apron appeared from behind Minho and ran straight past Minseok and greeted her daughter. Then she noticed Chen standing near the door and gave him a big hug.

 

“Chen! My how you’ve grown it’s been too long!” Minseok’s mother exclaimed as she gave Chen a once over. “Why don’t you stay for dinner? I’m making ddukbokki, one of your favourites.”

 

Chen bowed politely to Minseok’s mother and smiled. “I’m sorry, but I don’t think I can stay. I’ve got work to do.”

 

The lady laughed and slapped Chen’s back. “Nonsense, there is always time to eat. Besides, you must feed your brain with good food. All that detective work must be so hard on you.”

 

Chen was about to deny her statement when she suddenly turned, ran past Minseok again to speak with the oldest sibling. Chen stared at his best friend with concerned eyes and he saw Minseok staring at his mother with a mixture of sadness and anger.

 

Terrible… Chen muttered to himself. It wasn’t always like this. Minseok had been on the way to being a soccer star when one day he injured himself. The doctors told him he wouldn’t be able to play soccer anymore and he was devastated. Chen barely got him back on his feet, but the damage was permanent. After the incident, as his siblings climbed to success, he fell behind.

 

“I’m going to my room,” Minseok muttered, pausing for a moment. He hoped someone, anyone would realize he existed. His mother didn’t even turn her head; she was too busy scolding his sister for dressing badly and Minhyun was being entertained by Minho. Minseok growled, and stomped up the stairs.

 

Chen followed him to his room. “Hey.” He sat beside his friend was lying on the bed, facing the wall. Chen knew Minseok didn’t want to hear words of encouragement, or hear him say that everything is going to be okay.

 

This happened quite frequently. Minseok was often ignored because he wasn’t as good as his siblings. His grades were average, he had a bit of a ty personality, and his only real friend was Chen. But Chen knew that under his hard exterior, there was someone who just needed a little acknowledgement.

 

“Do you want to get some ice cream after dinner?” Chen patted Minseok’s shoulder.

 

There was a moment’s pause, before Minseok finally answered. “Yeah.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Dinner time came around, and they all piled into their respective seats around the table. Chen came over to Minseok’s house often enough that there was already a designated “spot” for him when he stayed for dinner. There were huge plates of traditional Korean dishes covering the table, and everyone’s stomachs growled in anticipation.

 

“So, Chen, what have you been up to lately?” Minho asked.

 

“There haven’t been many cases for me to work on,” Chen replied. “Criminals must be terrified of me.”

 

Minho laughed. “They should be. They call on you to solve some quite difficult cases.” He turned to Minseok with an arrogant look. “And you, my little brother? What have you been doing?”

 

Minseok looked visibly uncomfortable being in the spotlight, because he knew he didn’t have anything to show off, like his siblings. “You know, just school.”

 

“How are your grades?” Minho pried.

 

“Okay, I guess.”

 

The oldest brother nodded curtly. “Better try hard. You should follow Chen’s example. He’s able to work as an investigator and keep up his grades.”

 

Minji nodded in agreement. “I don’t think you’ll ever be as good as Chen, but maybe by being around him, a little bit of that will rub off on you.”

 

The family returned to polite conversation, catching up with each other’s lives. No one bothered to defend Minseok, not even himself. No one seemed to notice him looking down and angrily stabbing at his food either, except Chen. Chen gently kicked him under the table and gave him a look of “Come on man. At least pretend you’re interested.” Minseok sighed and sat up, reaching for a piece of grilled meat.

 

Suddenly Minseok’s mother snapped her fingers in his direction. “You’ve eaten so much meat already, it’s no wonder you’ve gotten so fat.”

 

Minseok stared at his mother and sighed inwardly before putting the meat down. He began to reach for some vegetables when his mother snapped her fingers again. “Minseok, give some food to our guest! He’s a growing boy.”

 

Suddenly, the light brown-haired boy slammed his bowl and chopsticks down, causing the table to rattle. He surveyed the table with a hateful glare. Everyone was looking at him now, but instead of surprise, their stares with filled with annoyance. Minho began to speak but Minseok cut him off. “Please excuse me from the table,” he said in a steely cold voice.

 

Minseok strode out the front door and slammed it behind him. Chen stood up quickly and apologized. “Excuse me as well, please.” Then, he hurriedly followed his friend into the night. 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

A/N: Hello my lovely subscribers! IIts been more than a year since I've been writing fanfics wow. I just want to apologize for my absence, as life has decided to punch me in the face haha Senior year was tough, and I had like no idea what I was doing half the time trying to apply for universities and stuff T_T Anyways, I'm back, and I really want to finish this fic, so I'll probably be updating hopefully weekly, but there's still quite a lot I have planned for this story :) 

I really hope you liked this chapter, and leave me a comment :D I'm pretty sure my writing style has changed too. Criticism is very welcome, and please tell me which pairing you want to see more of. Thanks everyone for being so understanding <3

I hope to have another chapter up soon, so please subscribe as well!!