20.

I believe in you.

Your's Pov:

And as he was wheeled off, I experienced the longest wait in my life. 

 

I tried to kill time by counting my breaths, but it was the dumbest thing to do. I gave up after my hundredth breath.
 
I was waiting at the backstage, looking at plays staged by other class. One of our buddy classes did very well, causing the entire audience give a standing ovation at the end of the their performance. I wondered if our would cause such a stir.
The wait was finally over. The host announced my class's name, and the curtain was drawn.
 
AVA crew rushed onto the stage out of nowhere to position the microphones and other prop to our desired positions. I was expecting the break to last for more than two minutes, butbefore I knew it, two AVA members pulled the curtain opened and a round of applause rang across the hall.
 
Minhyuk said something on stage, and when I heard a loud "thump", I took in a long breath
and stepped onto the stage. and few people in the audience "ooh-ed" and "aah-ed". I continued strolling forward until I was just in front of Minhyuk. His eyes were closed. Slowly, I kneeled and held his head.
 
"I want Min Young to be Juliet."
 
Everyone sat outside the operating theatre, just like the scenes from those melodramatic Korean drama serials that always showed on TV at nine o'clock.
 
L.Joe's omma sat closest to the door. Our classmates were all close to a vending machine, and me, I was sitting the furthest from the door.
 
I had told them to leave me alone, for I knew now words could no longer calm my soul.
 
Memories of L.Joe lingered in my mind.
I imagined what would happen five hours from now: would I be dancing with happiness, or would I be crying in depression?
Half an hour passed, but it felt like half a century.
 
The lobby was so quiet and scary that nurses dared not walk pass us unless there was a
real need to. I unleashed my pack of cigaratted - to the surprise of my classmates - and begun to unwrap it. I did not smoke there, of course.
 
Another fifteen minutes passed. I clasped my hands together. For the past seventeen years, I had not believed in the man above us. Now, I closed my eyes and prayed.
 
God, if you're up there, do me a favour. Just this favour, jebalyo.

 

The song played loudly in the playground. Someone in the stage was singing along, but her voice , compared to Trademark's melodic voice. I stared at Minhyuk's closed eyes.
 
"Wake up." I whispered, my voice amplified by my microphone clipped on my collar.
 
"Wake up, wake up, please, jebalyo. I beg you, just wake up. You made so many promises. So many. Don't die on me, Romeo. Don't leave me alone here! Jebalyo!"
 
Minyuk had no response. He was, after all, a professional. I clicked my fingers, and the song played again. Beside me was a glass of chestnut juice that I had drank for more than fifty times during the rehearsals.
 
"Please. Stay with me, saranghaeyo. That's what you've been trying to tell me, isn't it?
Saranghae........"
 
After an hours passed, I read the messages L.Joe sent me again.
 
Mianhae if I say anything wrong… You will still come for the appointment, won’t you? Let me fetch you on that day, araso? Only you can help yourself. come on, reply a yes…Vent your thoughts to others please… it’s the only way out. Ease your illusions! let me help…You’ve gonna come for it! Only you… yourself can help yourself… Understanding yourself is most important…
 
He said that there was a message coded in it. what message? I read it, again and again. It did not ring a bell until I wrote it down in a piece of paper.
 
Gosh. I dropped the phone and the pen. I dropped my head, and I nearly dropped on the floor. Now I knew what he trying to say after all. It all made so much sense. So much sense!
 
I jumped up and dashed towards the door of the operating room. A few of my classmates caught me by my arms and shoulder. I continued to struggle toward the door, but their combined strength was too great for me. So I relaxed and went to my knees. L.Joe's omma was still holding on to a calm expression.
 
I looked at my watch, the watch that L.Joe had given me. An hour more before the operation ends. I stared around the lobby, and stunned faces were looking at me. I kept my feeling in check and went back to my seat, clapping my hands together again.
L.Joe, you'll better wake up. I've decoded your message. Silly!
 

 

"Come on, wake up. Everyone wants a happy ending. Wake up, wake up...." My face was now with tears. I could hear a few soft in the audience, followed by a few "wows". My performances must have been impressive.
I grabbed the cup of chestnut juice. "Poison...." I said, staring at it as if it would change colour. "Poison. What for I live if you're not around? I live because of you. Now that you're gone..." I recalled that I should add in some broken English to inject humour into the play. So I said,
 
"No use. I'll die then!"
 
No one laughed. Instead, I heard people crying.
I gulped down the chestnut water in one smooth feat. Soon after that, I was lying beside Minhyuk. A few seconds later, Minhyuk stirred, and slowly I felt him holding my head. I did not concentrate on what he said, for my part was already over. When he screamed, he lied onto my back and the song was played again.
 
"But only love can stay
Try again or walk away
But I believe
For you and me
The sun will shine one day
So I play my part
And pray you'll have a change of heart
But I can't make you see it through
That's something only love can do..."
Is there something only love can do? When everything fails, shall I turn to love?
~ ~