11.

I believe in you.

Your's Pov:

Our literature teacher, Mr Jung, treated us to dinner after the full dress rehearsal.

Everyone was impressed with our performance. They said L.Joe and I had acted with emotions and it was a very touching play. 

“Call Chorong and get her to join us,” L.Joe cut in after we had placed our orders. I thought that was not a good idea, so I did not call her. But L.Joe persisted. “Go on, call her.”

“No means no,” I said. I felt like we were a couple having a spat in front of our friends. Am I going to say, “You’re going to get it from me when we get home”? L.Joe shook his head slightly and gave up.

The students got their parents or partner to send them home. Mr Jung offered to send L.Joe and me home, but we politely refused. And so, we took a long bus ride back home.

“Call Chorong,” L.Joe commanded when we were in the bus. There were less than ten people in the bus.

“Bwoh? For what?”

He glanced out of the window then pressed the bell. With that, he grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the bus. I pushed his hand off and looked around me. “Knock it off! What the heck are you doing?” We were at a deserted bus stop.

“Why didn’t you go for the previous appointment with Dr Shin? Listen to me, Min Young. Listen to me well. Go for the appointments with Dr Shin. You’re sick.” He pointed to my forehead. “You need help.” L.Joe said.

I shoved his hand off and snorted, “What do you know about me? Wae? Why do you act as if you were me! I cursed one of them! If I had been harsher…” I stopped. I should not talk that much. “Just…” I paused again.
“I’m going to prove it to you if you still don’t believe me.”

“Prove what?” I asked.

“Take out your handphone.” L.Joe said.

I threw my bag to the ground and gnashed my teeth.

“I’m not your dog. I don’t do what you want me to do!” I scolded.

“I’m going to prove that your best friend Chorong is just an imaginary friend.” L.Joe said.

I stopped breathing for exactly one second. That was it. That is too much. I slapped his right cheek hard, feeling the pain on my hand. He stared at me as if it did not hurt, but his cheek began to flush.

“Chorong doesn’t exist,” he said.

I gave him another tight slap. Despite the cars whizzing near us, the loud sound of the impact echoed into the night. Our eyes locked and images of Chorong jogged in my mind.

“You created her. She is the perfect portrayal of a person you desire to be. That’s very normal, Min Young. Nothing to be ashamed of. Many children have imaginary friends. They get over it. You’ve just been talking to your imaginary friend for the—” I cutted L.Joe words.

“No!” I yelled. My hand was too painful for another slap. “No, aniyo! This can’t be! After all these…after all these ing…ing…!” I turned. She is my only friend! A bus came and I raised my hand, but it continued to drive past me. It was an off-service bus.

“Min Young...—”

“Get away from me.” I yelled.

“Take out your handphone. Show me Chorong is real.” L.Joe said.

I did as he said.

“Now, read out Chorong’s handphone number to me.”

I scrolled through my contacts in my handphone. C...Chanyeol,Chen...L... L.Joe.... I scrolled again. Still the same. Park Chorong was her full name. I strolled to P... Peniel.. Park Kyung... Still no Chorong's name.

“9…” I stopped. I did not know what to say. “9…” Her number must be there! Someone must have deleted her number from my handphone. Yes, her number was my last dialled call. I just had to get to my call history.

Last Dialled Contact: ^_^ L.Joe ^_^.

“No…” I looked up at L.Joe. He was frowning, but I knew he must have been enjoying every moment.That bastard …

“When you talk to the phone, you’re just talking to yourself.” L.Joe said.

“But you saw her! You ing saw her that day!” I yelled.

“I saw no one. I pretended I saw her. Because I did not know what to do. I was so confused. Did you know what you did that day?” He broke into a smile and then nodded at nothing. “Chorong, this is L.Joe.” He paused. “This was what you did. You were talking to the air.” 

“She was there!” I screamed. “Dr Shin saw her as well—”

“He pretended as well. He thought if we were to tell you that day, you would be agitated. He said that the best solution for an imaginary friend is to let it go away naturally. Make you happy, make you feel socially involved and the imaginary friend will disappear. That’s the reason why he has increased the dosage of your antidepressants.” L.Joe explained.

“My grandmother can see her as well. Explain that to me then!”

“Your grandmother is three-quarter blind. She can’t tell the difference between Chorong and the door. Who else has seen Chorong before? No one.” L.Joe screamed too.

“You’re lying,” I said. “You’re lying!” I saw a taxi from afar. I grabbed my bag and raised my hand. “ off, L.Joe. You’re ruining my life.”

“Jebalyo Min Young...—”

I could hear L.Joe fading voice, but he did not give chase. Before I got into the taxi, I took off the watch he had given me for my birthday and threw it far away. 

That bastard. That ing bastard.