First, There was One

Diary of an Invisible Girl

Song of the chapter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy-nRjMCp-k

MiSoo's POV (Third year middle school)

I sat under the large oak tree that hid behind my school. It was my special spot that no one paid attention to. It was my sanctuary, my midday escape from the rambunctious compounds of my school. I pulled out the lunch that my mother had made me. It was filled with vegetable pancakes, steamed dumplings, and fresh kimchi. My favorite foods... My comfort foods. Once in a while, she'll surprise me with something nice like this. I inhaled the fresh and light scents of the meal. Before indulging, though, I plugged in my headphones and immersed myself in a blanket of heart-filled passion that laced together with beautiful lyrics and a perfect melody. I sighed in happiness for this perfect afternoon. I was about to indulge in my dumpling when an unfamiliar presence interrupted my blissful lunch. I expected it to continue on it's way, but a pair of feet stopped right in front of where mine relaxed. I put my dumpling downw before looking up at a boy. He was the same age as me, in fact, I think that he is in my class. I really don't pay mind to such things.

 

 

20101022_wooyoung_01.jpg

I took out my headphones and paused the music, then stood up. " Yes?" He was looking at his feet. "U-um... My name is Jang Wooyoung. We are in the same class. Actually... We've been in the same class for three years now.." He looked nervous and has yet to look me in the eye. Not even once. "I was wondering..." He looked up and stared straight into my eyes. "I've liked you for a while... Will you be my girlfriend?" I was shocked... Completely appalled. I didn't know what to do nor did I know what to say. I didn't even know him. I assumed that it would be a good experience and I nodded. He smiled and, out of impulse, I'm guessing, he hugged me. My eyes widened and I just felt my face heat up. I froze.

When he let go, he asked to sit with me for lunch... So much for peaceful bliss. We ended up both eating my lunch, which I really didn't mind since I don't eat it all. He told me about him and his love of baseball. I didn't say much, I really only listened and reacted silently. He seemed nice enough and I didn't really mind having one other person that could say I was close to other than my family. He offered to walk me home and I complied. This was going to be a very interesting relationship.

Fast Forward

Two weeks into the relationship and I was used to his presence being beside me during lunch and after school. I enjoyed being with him. I'm not sure if I like him, but he is very nice. He keeps me trying to get me to talk but I only respond in small phrases. My parents welcomed him wholeheartedlly and he's even had dinner at my home a few times. Saying that, we've never been on a date. I never inquired about it, since it didn't matter to me at all, but isn't that something that you're supposed to do when you're dating someone?

"Mianhe MiSoo-ah, I won't be able to take you home today! The baseball club has a huge tournament this weekend and we've been practicing really hard. I'm really really sorry." "Would you like me to wait?" I asked quietly. "No, no, I don't want you to have to wait! It's supposed to rain this evening." I nodded and took another bite of rice.

I know he told me not to wait but I brought an umbrella today because I knew it would rain, which it was. Very heavily. I was waiting at the front entrance, right inside the door, when I heard Wooyoung's voice accompanied by others. "So, do you have my money?" Wooyoung asked. They were on the other side of the lockers, so I couldn't see them. "For what?" someone asked. "The bet! You bet that if I could date that loner girl, MiSoo for two weeks, you would fork over twenty bucks." I bit my lip, hard. "Oh... Right, I'll bring it tomorrow." They rounded the corner and I just stood at the entrance, looking out at the rain. I heard they're footsteps stop and I turned and Wooyoung's face was pale. "Well, I hope you got your money's worth." My voice was quiet and shaky. A tear fell from my eye and I just opened my umbrella and left, leaving the boys in their frozen state.

 

Wooyoung never verbally tried to apologize, but I found notes in my locker and in class, I caught him giving me sorrowful looks. It all just brought back the pain of being used. I thought he would be nice, but it was just a learning experience. Eventually, he stopped trying to apologize and then we graduated and went to different high schools.

He was the first.