Daehyun

Quaerimus veritatem [Hiatus]

When I woke up the next morning, the pain in my head had subsided. I was grateful for that, it would to have to stay in bed the entire day. I lazily heaved myself off my bed and shuffled to the kitchen. Zelo was preparing rice, but it was more than I usually had for breakfast.

“I’ll be gone the entire day, and you don’t seem to be able to cook. Not very well, at least.” He surprised me as I didn’t say anything or make a sound of any sort. “Don’t be offended,” he added before I could open my mouth.

“How did you know I was offended?”

“I could see it in your eyes.” Creepy.

“You didn’t even look at me.” Even creepier.

“Fine.” Zelo sighed. “I sensed it. I can’t tell people’s emotions or anything, it’s not like I have a superpower like that. But I guess I can sort of sense what people around me are thinking if I spend some time with them. Happy?”

I didn’t expect him to tell me about himself without me pestering him about it, so I nodded with a smile. “You’ll be gone all day? Why?”

“I’ve got some stuff to sort out.” He never let his gaze wander from the food he was making. “And no, I won’t tell you about it. It’s something personal.”

“Alright,” I replied. Zelo already told me more about himself than he wanted, so I didn’t want to pressure him. I was sure that something like that would get me kicked out of this house and off to find my way to Korea by myself.

“See you this evening. Bye!” He waved before exiting the kitchen.

“Bye!” I called out, but he probably didn’t hear me anymore. I heard the front door open and close again. Now I was all alone. It wasn’t something I had to get used to. Zelo was gone often, but never the entire day. He came back before lunch and then stayed the rest of the day.


Half a book later I was dying of boredom. There was absolutely nothing to do. I had no way of contacting anyone (my phone sort of disappeared after I fell through the Moon Door) and there was no TV or Internet either.

"Should I go to Zelo's room?" I wondered aloud, but decided against it. I didn't want to ruin a friendship (or whatever the hell this was) with a careless action. Instead I decided to go outside and explore the area a bit. I never went further than the small garden Zelo had, but the meadow his house was on was huge, not to mention the large forest that stretched out on either side of it.

The sun's rays were warm, the sky was bright blue, the birds were singing - it was like a scenery from a book. I took a deep breath and absorbed the smells of different plants. I was surprised that there was no pollution or a road anywhere, but I wanted to enjoy it today.

Time flew, and before I knew it, the sun had gone down. Well this was kind of a crappy situation. I took a moment to realize what the hell just happened. It was dark. I was in a forest in a place that I entered through a ing door in a ing tree. Well great. I wanted to find shelter of some sort, but suddenly the pain from last night came back and I out once again.


When I woke up, I was in an unknown bed in an unknown room. Talk about Déjá vù. I could move without a problem; there was not the slightest hint of pain in my body. So now I, Bang Yongguk, popular college student, got lost in the forest like a little kid and was once again in a random place. If Himchan or Youngjae saw me now… I shook my head.

I was surprised at the room I entered after walking down the stairs. It was a tavern. Not a modern bar or club, but an actual tavern like from books or movies. A guy who seemed younger than me was wiping across a table, but looked up when he noticed me.

"What happened to you?" was the first thing he asked me.

I blinked. "I don't really know. I got lost in the forest, but I guess that's were you found me."

"Yeah. Does this happen often? The whole fainting thing, I mean."

I shrugged. "It started last night."

"Hm. Where do you live? You're not from here, are you? Otherwise you wouldn't have gone into that forest." He tilted his head.

"No, I… call me crazy, but I was home in Korea and went through this Moon Door in the so-called Tree or Life (seriously though, who invented these names?) and now I'm living with this dude who took me in and yeah," I answered not-so-calmly.

"You're the guy that lives with Zelo?" he blurted out and I nodded awkwardly. "Well in that case, it's a pleasure to meet you." He extended his arm and I shook his hand. "I'm Daehyun."

"Bang Yongguk," I replied. "How do you know Zelo?"

Daehyun's expression changed. He reminded me of Zelo in the way he seemed to try and avoid the question. "Well..." he began, when suddenly the door barged open. Both of us whirled around to see a large, ruff man standing in the doorway with a smug grin.

"Jung Daehyun, am I right?" His voice was deep and sent shivers up my spine. Daehyun nodded shortly. "Who is this? A... friend of yours?"

Daehyun was about to respond, but the man was quicker. In the blink of an eye he raced across the room, breaking a couple of things on his way, and stood in front of me. Now, I wasn't exactly short, but this guy was huge. Like skyscraper huge. His eyes were yellow (freaky) and his breath was ragged, like he had something blocking his windpipe. I saw his fist coming my way and wanted to close my eyes and brace myself for the punch, when suddenly time slowed down.

Just like that.

Two figures appeared behind the man, one of them knocked him to the ground. To my surprise, they moved normally whilst the man's movements were like he was falling in honey. I recognized them immediately. One was the oh-so-friendly Jongup (note that my mental voice was dripping with sarcasm), and the other one was... Zelo? He had one of his hands raised and stared at me intensely. Once his hand was down, time was back to normal.

"How... what..." I stammered.

"I wish I wouldn't have to tell you," Zelo whispered and came closer. "Jongup hyung, Daehyun hyung and I are rebels with supernatural powers."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I HAVE BEEN NEGLECTING THIS STORY AND I AM SO DAMN SORRY! But yay, Daehyun appeared... and Yongguk found out the truth about why Zelo was being so weird. There'll be more explanation next chapter.

Now please tell me. Am I progressing this too quickly? I really want to introduce the other characters (Himchan and Youngjae who won't be appearing for a while and CL and Minzy who'll come soon) and generally get into the whole rebel-group thingymaboby. So yeah.

Comments will be gladly accepted.

I love you, my dear Pancakes (yes, that's your official name) ^^