"I promise"

Quaerimus veritatem [Hiatus]

SONG RECOMMENDATION FOR THIS CHAPTER: Pray by Sunny Hill (might be a bit too emotional, but that's what I was listening to while writing this chapter).

 

“Who would do something like this?” There were tears shining in Zelo’s eyes as he walked through the remains of his house.

“The guards probably grew suspicious,” CL replied with a dry voice.

Himchan raised an eyebrow. “Of what?”

“Of us being a rebel group,” Daehyun replied. “They came here and asked Zelo and Yongguk some questions, but got no answer, of course. This however… they know or have some kind of hunch. I don’t think any of our homes are currently safe.”

Minzy nodded approvingly. “I guess that means we need to live in the forest. Now that the events have taken this turn, I don’t think we can go back to South Korea. We can’t just let this happen.”

“I agree, Mingkki.” There was anger burning in CL’s eyes. “I’m sick of this. We’re finding a place to stay, and then we’ll form a plan of attack. They need to know that we’re not to be underestimated.” She turned to each of the members and gave them their orders. “Jongup and Daehyun, you two are going to spy on the guards as best as you can. Yongguk, you and Zelo go check if you can save anything from the house. Minzy, Himchan, Youngjae – come with me. We’ll look for the best place and gather firewood and those things. And no, you may not argue with my decisions. Now go.”

“Okay.” Jongup had a serious expression as he took Daehyun’s arm and the two teleported away. There was a look of jealousy on Himchan’s face, but he pulled himself together and followed the other three.

Yongguk turned to the maknae. “Jello-yah. Are you okay?”

“How can I be? This house and all its contents belonged to my parents. Now it’s all gone… all the memories… everything.” Zelo turned to his hyung and Yongguk’s heart broke a bit at the depressed expression. “I… we should follow CL noona’s orders. Maybe there is something we can find.”

“Zelo. I’m sorry.”

“This wasn’t your fault, hyung. Don’t blame yourself for it,” the maknae said softly. He started searching the soot-covered ruin, an occasional sob or whimper escaping his lips. It hurt Yongguk to see the happy boy so upset.

 

After a few minutes of searching, Yongguk found something. It had been under a pot, saving it from the fire. He was unsure if he should show Zelo, as the younger was already in a miserable state.

“Did you find anything, hyung?”

Yongguk took a breath before walking over to Zelo. “Here.” He gently placed the photograph into the maknae’s soft hand.

“What…” Zelo couldn’t finish his sentence. Tears dropped onto the photograph from his eyes. It was a simple picture with a woman, a man, and three children. All of them were smiling warmly. “No…”

“I’m so sorry, Jello.”

“No… you… you know what this is, right?”

“I know, Zelo-yah,” Yongguk whispered. “I probably should have kept it hidden.”

The maknae shook his head. “I’m grateful that you showed it to me. Even if this family portrait is the last thing left… at least I have something to hold on to.” He smiled sadly before motioning his hyung to stand next to him. “Umma, appa… can you see him?” Zelo directed the picture so that Yongguk faced it. “He’s the one who cares about me. He’s the one I’ve been telling you about when I pray to you at night. After you died and noona and hyung left me, I was really sad. But Yongguk hyung made me happy again. Please watch over him.”

Tears were now streaming from Yongguk’s eyes as well. “It is an honor to meet you.” He bowed towards the photo, something he never thought he’d do. But then again, Zelo tended to completely change and mess up everything the older male believed in.

“Hyung.”

“Yes, Jello?”

“I… thank you. For everything.” Yongguk felt his heart lighten at the softly spoken words and pulled Zelo in a tight hug. “Don’t leave me, hyung. Ever.”

“I promise that I’ll always stay with you.”

 

The night came quicker than Veritas wanted, but they managed to find themselves shelter in an empty cave. Jongup was first to keep watch by the fire. He was grateful for the stone roof above his head as the rain poured down loudly. For a few seconds, he wished that everything would be like it was before Yongguk fell through the Moon Door. Zelo wouldn’t be so distant towards everyone else; maybe the guards wouldn’t have noticed them.

“What are you thinking about?” Jongup rolled his eyes when he saw that it was Himchan who plopped down next to him.

“Stuff,” he replied gruffly.

“Oh.” It was surprising that Himchan didn’t continue digging for information. “I’ll probably regret asking this, but… do you hate me?”

“No.” The answer surprised both of them.

Himchan had a shimmer of hope shining in his eyes. “You… don’t?”

“You can be really annoying, but… no. I don’t hate you. You may not be my first pick for who I want to hang out with, but you’re not the last pick either.”

“Thanks, Jongup.”

“That’s all?” The younger raised an eyebrow. “No stupid nicknames?”

“I didn’t come here to annoy you. I came here to confess something.”

“And that is?”

Himchan’s face turned serious. “I’m scared, Jongup,” he whispered.

“We all are.” Without realizing it, Jongup took Himchan’s hand in his. “Everything will be fine, I promise. We just have to work together, and tomorrow I’ll teach you telepathy and some fighting techniques, okay?”

“You have no idea how thankful I am, Jonguppie-puppy.” This time Jongup didn’t complain about the childish nickname.

------------------------------------------------------------

I've been such a bad author... never updating... aish, I feel horrible.

SO HERE IS A SHORT BUT DEEP AND EMOTIONAL CHAPTER!!! I hope you Pancakes like it.

Oooh, I also decided to give you a short preview with some random lines from future chapters because I have no idea when I'm going to update again.

"But you promised, didn't you? Then why are you doing this?"

"I'm sorry."

"Don't do this, you idiot!"

"WAKE UP!!"

"A member of the feared rebel group known as Quaerimus Veritatem has been captured and imprisoned. The king will decide whether to take or spare this person's life."

Upcoming drama, everyone.

Saranghae, Pancakes <3 please deal with my bad updating skills.