Leaving

In Denial

 

It felt like Hani and Zico were leaving for a year, not a week, as they stood in the train station.

“I'll call you whenever I can, okay?” Hani promised Junhong, squeezing his hands.

“I'll miss you,” Junhong said, looking pitiful. Zico rolled his eyes.

“We need to go,” Zico told Hani, picking up her holdall and his own bag.

“Bye, Junhong.” Hani kissed Junhong lightly and waved as she skittered after Zico, jumping on the train after him.

 

Zico had chosen the seat next to the aisle so Hani could look out of the window. She slipped past him and flopped into her seat, searching the crowd outside the train for Junhong. When she spotted him, she waved enthusiastically, turning as the train began to move. Junhong pretended to wipe a tear from his eye, extracting a laugh from Hani, and gave one last wave as the train left the station.

“Have you been to Busan before?” Hani turned to Zico. He'd pulled out his laptop and placed it on the table in front of them.

“I've never left Seoul,” he admitted. “What about you?”

“I haven't been to Busan but I've been to Japan,” Hani grinned. “It was really fun.”

“Are you excited to see your parents again?” Zico asked as he pulled up some editing software on his laptop.

“Yeah. It's kind of weird, not seeing them for this long. I missed them,” Hani said, blushing a little.

 

“Are your parents meeting us at the station?” There had just been an announcement that the train would be arriving soon.

“They said they'd wait outside in the car, and come and get us when we go outside,” Hani explained. She glanced out of the window and her attention was caught by the flurry of snowflakes rushing past.

“Zico! It's snowing! Look!” Hani jumped up and down on her seat, getting excited. Zico smirked.

“You sound like a little kid,” he laughed. Hani turned and gave him a wide smile as the train pulled into the station. The platform wasn't as busy as in Seoul, but there was a different atmosphere. Expectant. Hani grabbed her bag and skipped off the train, waiting for Zico.

 

“You walk too fast,” Zico complained as Hani navigated around the train station as if she'd been a million times.

“Sorry,” Hani apologised breathlessly. “I'm just excited.”

They finally emerged and stood outside in the snow for a while. Hani pulled her coat around her tightly as she searched the road for a familiar face.

“Hani! Jiho! Over here!”

Hani turned to the sound of her mother's voice. Sure enough, there she was, rushing forward in her heels.

“Cho Hani! What on earth are you wearing in this weather?!” Mrs Cho scrutinised Hani's long legs, covered by tights and shorts.

“It was warmer at home,” Hani told her. “Can we go?”

“Jiho!” Mrs Cho rushed to Zico, forcing him into an embrace.

“It's Zico,” he corrected.

“Jiho is your given name,” Mrs Cho said sternly. “How has Hani been? Come, come, we'll talk in the car.”

 

Hani let out a breath of relief when they finally arrived at the new Cho residence. It was very similar to their home in Seoul, only a little cleaner. Mrs Cho had been interrogating Zico about everything from how often they did the laundry to Hani's maths grades and back to eating vegetables. So far, luckily, Zico hadn't mentioned anything about Junhong. Hani internally thanked him.

 

“Hani, could you come here a moment?” Mrs Cho sang from the kitchen. Hani tore her eyes away from the TV screen and glanced down at the polished wood floor. She took a big run up and slid along the floor, stopping right in front of her mother.

“I'm led to believe I can now leave you at night,” Mrs Cho said. “Your father and I have to attend a dinner party tonight. You'll be okay if I leave some food out for you and Jiho, yeah?”

“We'll be fine,” Hani nodded, just now noticing her mother's formal attire. “Have a good time.”

Mrs Cho bent down a little and ruffled Hani's hair before kissing her cheek. “I missed you a lot, honey. Why don't you move over here?”

Hani thought of Junhong and Jiyeon as well as Zico and Block B.

“Maybe when I've finished my exams,” Hani smiled.

 

Zico was restless and Hani could tell. He would fidget while they were watching television, pace while he was eating, and put his hands in and out of his pockets whenever they were talking.

“Zico, you look like you've had a truckload of energy drinks. Do you want to go out somewhere?” Hani suggested.

“That's a good idea,” Zico jumped up and made his way to the door. “Where are we going?”

Hani shrugged as she pulled her coat on. “No idea.”

 

“Are you cold?” Zico asked, concerned, as Hani shivered and buttoned her coat up.

“A little,” Hani admitted. Zico took her hand and pulled her to a bench at the edge of the pavement and made her sit down before putting his own jacket around her shoulders. Looking up at Zico, Hani saw a side of him she hadn't before- she saw Jiho. She saw the Jiho that hadn't been a high school drop out. She saw the Jiho who'd been to university and had a steady job. She saw the Jiho that could've been. Hani shook her head and smiled.

“Thanks,” she said, hoping he didn't notice the hesitation. Of course, he did, but he decided to ignore it. Trying to be casual, Zico slid a little closer to Hani, so their thighs were touching. He could almost see the sparks fly from the contact and knew Hani was feeling it too. The only person who stood in the way of every day being like this was Junhong, the one who'd so abruptly snatched Hani from Zico. He stood up abruptly, surprising Hani.

 

“I'm just going to go get a coffee,” he told her. “Stay here.”

“Coffee? No way,” Hani grabbed his arm and pulled him back. “You really think you need more energy?”

Zico looked disappointed and sat down again. “I guess.” He paused for a second, then jumped up again. “Can I get something to eat?”

“As long as it's healthy,” Hani sighed.

“Stay here, then,” Zico smiled before running off to a nearby café. 

I haven't updated for ages, i'm so sorry;; i'll try to update again today or tomorrow!! ilu all~