Notes

In Denial

Zico woke up at around ten after leaving his phone (his alarm clock) in Hani's room. He sat up quickly and made to slap his forehead, and felt a sticky note. Pulling it off, he blinked a couple of times then read the note.

 

Hey Zico~

Thanks for the alarm, I took a shower and I'm about to head out. I'll walk home if I don't see you at school later.

Love, Nini xo

 

Smiling to himself, Zico jumped out of bed and clutched the note to his chest before sliding it into the back of a picture frame. The time his Nini gave him love on a sticky note. He walked downstairs and frowned at the emptiness. It was going to be a long day.

 

“Oh! I'm really sorry!”

Hani winced as she was knocked onto the ground by a certain tall figure. He extended her hand for her and she ignored it.

“Are you okay?” Junhong asked. She could feel him smirking from his voice. Was this all a joke, or a coincidence? Was he trying to get her attention, or just make her late for class? Either way, she didn't try to hide the annoyance in her voice as she said 'yes', and avoided eye contact as she gathered her books.

“Hey- I said I'm sorry!” Junhong caught her arm as she began to walk away.

“I know,” Hani pulled her arm away and strode off.

“Her loss,” she heard him mutter as he stayed where he was.

 

Zico groaned as another annoying reality show started. He'd been stretched over the sofa for the whole day. Glancing at the clock, he saw it was already past three thirty- he jumped up and ran out to the car. Rain blurred the windscreen and he sighed, then yelled internally at the traffic lights to hurry up. When they finally changed, he wasted no time in accelerating forwards and he finally arrived at Seoul Academy. He spotted Hani walking back towards his house and pulled up to her.

“Sorry I'm late,” he apologised, grinning.

“It's okay,” Hani replied in a monotone, and climbed in, avoiding Zico's eyes. Zico wondered if it was because he was late, and she was already soaked, but decided it must have been something else to make Hani like this.

“How was your day?” Zico began to drive home.

“Pretty rubbish,” Hani told him, still looking down.

“Why?”

“Some dude keeps walking into me so I fall over. Junhong. I swear if he does it once more I'm gonna kick him in the-”

“Junhong? Choi Junhong?”

“Yeah. Know him?”

“I've... been acquainted.”

“Hm. Well, there was that, then Jiyeon had told someone about me living with you, which I'm okay with because it's true, you know? But now all the school es think we're... kind of... doing... stuff...” Hani trailed off, deflated. Zico reached over and ruffled her hair.

“It'll die down, Nini. Don't worry. As for Junhong... I could talk to someone about it, if you want.”

“No! I mean, don't bother. He'll stop soon enough.”

 

“Hey, Hani, I was wondering... I mean, if you don't have any homework... Would you record a song with me?” Zico nervously played with his hands.

“I... I don't sing though,” Hani pointed out.

“I heard you in the shower the other day,” Zico said, and regretted it- how creepy did that sound?

“And you want me to record a song with you?” Hani threw her bag on the ground and grinned. “Sounds fun!”

 

“So I just... Sing into this? And then you edit it and make it sound pretty?” Hani pulled the headphones over her ears and looked at Zico. He nodded, and pushed a piece of paper in front of her. It was a song she recognised, and she smiled, forgetting about Junhong and all those es at school. Zico pressed a few buttons and suddenly music burst through the headphones. She sang like there was no one watching, like she wasn't just a sixteen year old girl with no idea what she wanted to do with her life, she sang like she was on the stage, singing for thousands of people.

 

Hani took the headphones off and turned to Zico, who was watching her with fascination.

“You're talented, you know? That was... Amazing.”

Hani blushed and placed the headphones on Zico's desk. “Thanks.”

Zico suddenly perked up. “You know I said I'd take you out on Friday?”

Hani nodded.

“Would you sing with me?”

“Yes!” Hani agreed quickly. “Of course.”

“Great!” Zico's face lit up. “It's not exactly a huge arena, but you still get the feeling.”

“Where is it, then?”

“It's at a club, in the city centre. The atmosphere is better than anything you've ever experienced.”

Hani's heart sunk. A club? As a model student, the words 'club' and 'Hani' don't mix. But, she promised she would perform with Zico, so she nodded. “Sounds good.”