Junhong

In Denial

 

Sunday passed in a blur of awkward silences and tricky maths problems. Zico seemed embarrassed about what had happened the night before and Hani was still shocked and confused. In the evening, however, Zico's friends were coming round again, which gave Hani something to look forward to. She was watching an awful reality show on tv when they arrived.

 

“Hani!” they chorused and ran to hug her, ignoring Zico.

“Hey,” she grinned, standing up. Glancing over at Zico, she could see he was hurt and maybe jealous that she got all the attention. “Why don't you go talk to Zico while I go upstairs and do some more homework?”

“Okay, Hani!” they bounded away to Zico like obedient little dogs. Hani gave Zico a quick smile as she ascended the stairs, knowing full well she had no homework to do.

 

There was a warm buzz of chatter between all the men for a while, which turned to silence as someone climbed the stairs. Hani was happily reading her book when Zico knocked on her door.

“Hani? Can I come in?”

“Sure.”

Zico pushed the door open and stood in the corner of Hani's room. She looked up from her book, still sat cross-legged on her bed in her pyjamas.

“I was just wondering if you wanted to come out with us for a bit... but you're ready for bed. So never mind.” Zico turned to leave.

“Sorry, Zico,” Hani apologised. “I have a test tomorrow and I should stay in. I could come out with you on Friday, though,” she suggested.

His face lit up. “You would?”

“Yeah, why not?”

Zico jumped up and down happily then gave Hani a fleeting hug before turning to leave.

“Oh, um... we're all going out now. So if I don't see you when I get home, I'll see you tomorrow morning- do you want a ride to school?”

“Please,” Hani nodded. “Have a good time. Don't get in trouble.”

Zico saluted and closed the door after him as he left. Hani shook her head, smiling, and glanced at the clock. Nine p.m. She could go downstairs and watch some tv when they'd all left.

 

It was two a.m. and Hani was on her seventh cup of coffee. She was sat on the sofa, huddled in her duvet, eyes fixed on the door, occasionally flicking to the tv. She jumped at every sudden sound. Every so often her mind would wander. Why was she still awake, waiting for a man four years older than her? Why did she care so much? She didn't... like him, did she?

“The men have been seen leaving the club and running north. Police are following them as we speak.”

Hani whipped to the tv screen and watched a shaky aerial view from a helicopter follow the seven men as they ran. She watched as one was trailing behind, getting closer and closer to the policemen.

“Please don't be Zico... Please don't be Zico...” Hani began to whisper. Her eyes were glued to the screen, watching the straggler as he dipped into a side street and the police carried on chasing the six others.

“Please be Zico... Please be Zico...” she changed her mind after watching him get away safely. She turned back to the door and waited patiently.

 

“Zico!” Hani jumped up as the door opened and rushed to hug the blonde man.

“Why aren't you asleep?” Zico asked, pulling off his jacket.

“I came down to watch the tv, and you were on the news, and I've been waiting for you for hours, and I'm just so glad you're okay, and I-”

“On the news? Crap,” Zico interrupted. He shifted uncomfortably.

“But are you okay? You're not hurt or anything, are you?” Hani worried.

“I'm fine,” Zico replied, pulling a suspicious wad of money from his pocket. “Thanks for waiting up for me, though. It means a lot.”

Hani smiled. “I- I should sleep. I'll see you in the morning.”

 

“Hani? You need to wake up now,” Zico gently shook Hani's shoulders as she lay, asleep, in bed.

“Ugh... what time is it?” Hani grumbled.

“It's seven thirty, there's an hour until I need to take you to school. It starts at nine, right?”

“Yeah,” Hani nodded. She got out of bed and began to get changed having already forgotten that Zico was still in the room. He dashed out of the door before Hani could take off her shirt.

 

“What were you... what were you doing last night?” Hani finally asked as Zico drove her to school. She tugged at her skirt.

“Me and my friends got a little carried away, but don't worry about it. Everything's fine now.”

Hani looked over and watched Zico nodding along to the radio, looking away when he noticed. They reached Hani's school and once again Zico stopped her as she got out of the car.

“I'll wait for you here, at three thirty, okay?”

Hani nodded vigorously. “I'll try to get out of class as soon as the bell goes. Thank you, by the way.”

“Least I could do,” Zico shrugged and smiled as he drove away.

 

“Who was that cutie?”

Hani turned round as she heard a familiar voice behind her.

“Hey, Jiyeon. That's Zico.”

“Why were you in the car with him?” Jiyeon asked, running up to Hani and hugging her lightly.

“I live with him now... remember, I told you on Friday?”

Jiyeon's mouth rounded into a 'o'. Hani laughed at her forgetful best friend.

 

Hani and Jiyeon contrasted in every way, which may have been the reason they became so close. Hani had long hair, that she allowed to swing freely, whereas Jiyeon's was short and permanently in pigtails. Hani wore pretty coloured contacts and Jiyeon wore thick-rimmed glasses. Hani was pretty, but Jiyeon was cute. Hani excelled academically and Jiyeon was the most artistic person you could ever meet. Somehow, the two girls were best friends.

 

“We have the maths test first, don't we?” Jiyeon asked as she bounced along the corridor. Hani shuffled sluggishly, still tired from last night.

“Yeah, damn,” Hani cursed. She reached into her bag to find her locker key and instead found the smooth surface of a bottle. Taking it out, a note was attached to the lid, and it fluttered before she caught it.

 

To Hani~ sorry I kept you up last night. I know you have an important test today, so I bought this for you. Good luck!

From Zico x

 

Hani smiled down at the note and opened the bottle of energy drink thankfully.

“Kept you up last night? Did you... you know...” Jiyeon grinned creepily.

“No! Nothing like that! He came in late at night and woke me up, that's all.” Hani felt bad for lying, but saying she'd seen him being chased by police on the tv would make things worse.

“Oh,” Jiyeon said, sounding unconvinced. “Should we go to class?”

“You go, I need to get a book from my locker.”

Jiyeon nodded. “See you in a while.”

 

Hani knew she only had five minutes at the most to get to her lesson, so she scurried along the corridor to her locker. She retrieved a book from the very back and started towards the classroom, not looking where she was going. She looked up as she collided with a tall figure, and fell down to the floor.

“I'm so sorry!” the boy exclaimed; he held out his hand for her to take. Hani adjusted her skirt before doing so, and blushed when she looked up- it was Choi Junhong, standing before her!

“It was my fault,” Hani squeaked. Junhong chuckled lightly.

“Are you hurt?” he asked, suddenly worried.

“No, I'm alright. Sorry,” she said. “I, uh... I have to go. See you later.”

Junhong watched as she skittered away down the corridor, and laughed to himself.

 

Hi~ Sorry I haven't updated for so long^^;