Overwhelming

In Denial

 

“Do you want to come for a sleepover tonight?” Jiyeon looked over to Hani as they walked out of school.

“I can't, sorry,” Hani frowned. “I'm going somewhere with Zico.”

“Where?” Jiyeon jumped up and down, suddenly excited.

“He's taking me to a club,” Hani whispered. “I'm gonna sing.”

“I'm so jealous!”

“You can come next week, if you want.”

“Please!”

Hani hugged Jiyeon goodbye when she spotted Zico's car idling just down the road.

 

“Hi!” Hani greeted Zico as she jumped in the car.

“You're in a good mood,” observed Zico. Hani nodded.

“I'm just excited for tonight,” she told him.

“Ah,” Zico smiled, opening his mouth as he did. “I see.” He pulled away from the pavement and something caught Hani's eye- camera flashes. Of course, it was Soori and her gang of es.

“Could you- uh- drive a little quicker?” Hani nudged Zico. He nodded and put his foot down, and Hani was thrown back by the impact. They arrived back at home quickly.

“Why did you want to go faster? I thought you were a wimp,” Zico asked, poking Hani's arm.

“Those girls, they were taking pictures. I thought it would be easier if they couldn't.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah.”

 

“Well, um... We're gonna leave at about ten, is that okay?” Zico unlocked the door and opened it for Hani. She scurried through into the living room and dropped her bag on the ground.

“Ten? Isn't that kind of late?”

“Most clubs don't open until eleven.”

“I see. I'm gonna go get my homework done, then.”

An awkward atmosphere settled in the room and neither Zico nor Hani moved. Zico was almost tempted to stride over to Hani and kiss her, as she stood, looking slightly bewildered, her hair falling down past her shoulder blades and her eyes wide. He stood his ground, though, and smiled as she walked past him to climb the stairs. After she'd gone he clutched his face in anguish and refrained from wailing out loud.

 

Hani couldn't focus on her work and her eyes kept flitting over to the clock. When it reached six o'clock she pushed the chair back and stood up, blowing some stray hair out of her face. She opened the wardrobe door and pulled out the entire contents, dropping them on her bed. Scanning the clothes, now strewn over most of the room, she picked the ones she thought most... Suitable for a club. Shorts, skirts, strappy tops... soon there were only a quarter of the clothes left to sift through.

 

Skipping downstairs, Hani glanced at her outfit in the mirror- bouncy waves in her hair, small eyeliner flicks, a floral bralette and little denim shorts. She pushed her hair back from her face.

“Zico?”

“Yeah?”

Zico looked up from the sofa, where he was waiting for Hani- it was almost ten. His eyes widened and once again he felt an overwhelming desire to kiss Hani, but of course, he couldn't.

“You- uh- are you- I mean- do you want to go?”

Hani nodded and grabbed her jacket from the hook behind the door.

 

“This is it?” Hani asked, slightly confused, as she and Zico stood in front of the door that she'd visited once before, when they'd gone food shopping.

“This is the back entrance,” Zico replied, opening the door and waving Hani through. Hani walked slowly down the metal steps and into a room full of people- several who she recognised, and immediately regretted accompanying Zico that night. First she saw Junhong, who hadn't acknowledged her arrival. Then, as her eyes wandered, she saw the one person she never wanted to see ever again- Yongguk. Hani felt her eyes brim with tears and shook her head violently, tugging on Zico's hand to let her go home.

“You want to go?” Zico asked, concerned. “But you promised you'd sing with me.”

Hani was faced with a problem- break her promise and go home and be happier, or stay and face Yongguk? She had to stay; she knew she did.
“Sorry. Yeah. I'll stay.”

Zico's face lit up and he stamped a foot on the ground.

“Guys? Guys! Shut up for a moment!”

 

Silence fell in the room and everyone turned to Zico, and Hani who was still clutching his hand. Hani looked down, embarrassed.

“This is Hani- make her welcome, yeah? If anyone hurts her, they die, got it?”

Yongguk looked up at the name Hani. He remembered it from somewhere... Crap. Last year. The pretty girl who was too wimpy. He shuffled to stand behind his friend, Himchan.

“Are you on stage tonight, Zico?” Daehyun walked over to Zico and Hani.

“Yeah. Hani's singing with me. She's amazing.”

Hani blushed and Junhong made his way over to the small group.

“Hani! You haven't texted me yet,” Junhong complained, putting on a sad face.

“I- uh- haven't had-”

“You can answer me tonight.”

 

“There are a lot of people,” Hani worried, poking her head through the door into the main room. A lot of already sweaty, dancing people. Girls not wearing much and guys ogling them. “Zico, I feel ill.”

“Don't worry about it,” Zico reassured her. “You're great, it'll be amazing.”

“I think I'm going to throw up.”

“Too late- we're going on stage now. Save it for later.”

Zico did Hani the favour of placing his hand on her lower back and pushing her through the door and onto the small stage.

 

kind of short but i'm writing the next part as we speak (type???) hope you like it!!