Just a Friend

In Denial

 

Wednesday. Hani sighed as she clambered out of bed and pulled on her uniform. She could hear Zico snoring and got ready quietly. Cereal was the only thing she could eat without making too much noise, then she glanced at the clock before setting out.

 

The chilly November air wrapped around Hani as she briskly walked to school. She pulled her blazer around herself a little tighter as she checked her bag to make sure she had everything. Remembering how her books are repeatedly being knocked to the floor her face hardened.

“You okay? You look like you're about to kill someone.”

Hani jumped and whipped around; luckily it was only Jiyeon.

“You scared me!” Hani threw her hand onto her chest.

“Why the angry face?” Jiyeon persisted.

“Just thinking about Junhong walking into me all the time,” Hani sighed.

“Do you want me to go beat him up?”

Hani laughed as she looked at Jiyeon's small frame. “I think I'll be okay.”

 

“Sir, can I go and get my book?” Hani raised her hand as the lesson began.

“Why didn't you get it before the lesson?”

“I was late, sorry.”

“Okay, but be quick.”

Hani grinned to herself as she strode out of the classroom. She'd avoided going to her locker that morning, even though she had plenty of time, so she'd avoid Junhong too.

 

“Jesus Christ!” Hani cried as she was knocked to the floor. She glared up to see who her attacker was and if there was anyone there she was pretty sure she would've burned holes through his head. Turning around, she saw Junhong walking away. She cursed under her breath and gathered her books back up. As she put them in her bag she spotted something- a note?- and picked it out.

 

Hi Hani, I know I've been annoying you, but it's the only way to get your attention. Meet me at lunch on the field?

Junhong

 

On the other side of the note was a phone number- undoubtedly Junhong's. Cheered up slightly, Hani made her way back to the inevitable boredom that was science class.

 

“He wants to meet you at lunch? What do you think he's gonna say?” Jiyeon blinked up at Hani.

“I have no idea,” she frowned. What could he possibly want to say that he couldn't say in front of a crowd?

 

“I like you, Hani.”

Hani looked up in shock. She'd made her way through the busy corridors onto the field and was expecting anything but that from Junhong.

“You what?”

“I like you. I know we've never really talked, but I can tell you're nice from just passing you... And let's face it, you're pretty damn beautiful.”

“I... I don't know what to say...” Hani stuttered as Junhong towered over her.

“That's okay. I put my number on the back of the note, so when you decide that you want to date me, you can call me or text me,” Junhong grinned. Hani snorted at his assumption of her wanting to date him.

“Will do,” Hani nodded, covering her blushing cheeks with her hands. She watched as Junhong returned to a friend- his name was Jongup, Hani thought- and he turned around and waved. Hani raised a hand before heading back inside.

 

“What did he say?” Jiyeon was waiting for Hani at the door, jumping up and down eagerly.

“He... He confessed to me,” Hani told her. Jiyeon squealed, attracting the attention of everyone passing by- who happened to be the es from yesterday.

“What happened, Hani? The guy you're living with realised you're ?”

“Shut up, Soori,” Hani spat. “He's just a friend.”

“That's all he's gonna be with you,” Soori giggled, triggering the rest of the corridor laughing. Hani shook her head and pulled Jiyeon down the corridor and out of the door.

“Where are we going?!” Jiyeon shrieked.

“Don't worry,” Hani let go of her. “We're just waiting out here until class starts again.”

“What will we say?”

“Girl issues. They won't press it.”

 

Hani smiled as she walked out of the doors at the end of the day, into the cold but sunny city. She spotted Zico's car idling by the pavement and skipped over.

“Good day, huh?” he asked as she jumped in with a grin on her face.

“You could say that.”

“What happened?”

“Junhong knocked me over again, but he... confessed, to me,” Hani told him. She saw the smile slip off his lips.

“That's...” Zico paused as he tried to find something to say. “Great. What did you say?”

“I didn't say anything, I was too shocked.”

Zico's smile returned at that.

 

Hani spent Wednesday night watching tv. She brought her duvet downstairs and installed herself on the sofa while Zico worked on a new song. The night passed quickly and soon enough Hani fell asleep, in front of the tv. Zico sighed as he passed her, then scooped her up, duvet and all, and carried her upstairs.

“Have I been feeding you too much?” he panted. “You're way heavier than you were on Monday.” Of course, there was no reply. He gazed at Hani's face as he set her down on the bed.

“See you tomorrow, Nini.”

 

~triple update~

i won't be updating for at least a week because of oliver rehearsals and performances and i felt bad so here take my work takE IT

i love you all ok bye