Instinct

In Denial

 

“She's dancing!” Zico shrieked when he finally remembered where Hani had gone. The panic that had been coursing through him subsided and he sat down, smiling. He checked the time- how the hell had it got to eight in the evening? Running a hand through his short hair, Zico grabbed his keys and ran out to his car. Hani was meant to be back for six.

 

Speeding down the road, Zico began to shake slightly. What if something awful had happened to her? What if she was hurt? He could never forgive himself. As soon as he reached the dance studio he flung himself out of the car and jogged inside.

 

A fast song greeted Zico as he went into the unfamiliar building. He followed the music down a dark corridor and stood outside the door he was pretty sure it was coming from. Zico slowly opened the door and peered inside. Hani's bag lay open under the stereo that was churning out a song. Where was Hani, though? Zico moved in further and spotted Hani, shoulders hunched, leaning against a mirror, fast asleep. He almost laughed, he'd been so worried about nothing.

 

Stopping the music, Zico took the CD out and placed it in Hani's bag. He slung the bag onto his back and moved over to Hani.

“Nini?” he whispered, patting her head to wake her up. She didn't stir. Zico clicked his tongue before scooping Hani up in his arms and carrying her out to the car. He lay her down on the backseat and did up all the seatbelts so she was safe, before getting in himself. He drove home slowly so the engine wouldn't wake Hani up.

 

“Morning, sleepyhead!” Zico greeted Hani as she shuffled down the stairs on Sunday morning. He looked weirdly fatherly, sitting on a sofa with a coffee and a newspaper.

“Hi,” Hani yawned. “Do you know how I got here?”

Hani asked the question so innocently Zico couldn't resist laughing.

“You're a really deep sleeper, you know that? I picked you up from dance.”

“Oh. Thank you.”

“How's Junhong?”

“I texted him a little yesterday. I'm not sure how things are gonna... be. But I need someone like him. I've been so bored with life lately. I'm, uh, I'm sorry for being horrible to you on Friday. It was uncalled for.”

“Don't worry about it,” Zico waved a hand in Hani's direction. Hani smiled, and flopped onto the seat next to Zico. He immediately tensed up, which Hani luckily didn't notice.

“Do you want something to eat?” he jumped up, grabbing Hani's hand. Zico pulled Hani up as she nodded. Unfortunately Zico overbalanced slightly and began to fall back, and Hani realised she was going to fall right on top of him. She couldn't let that happen- she pulled him back over her way and ended up toppling onto the ground, her head hitting the floor, making her dizzy. Once her head stopped spinning she opened her eyes to see Zico holding himself above her with eyes as round as saucers.

 

The pair stayed in that position, frozen, for a moment or two. Hani's heart was beating fast and Zico was panicking. He pushed himself off her quickly and stood up, raising his hand to the nape of his neck.

“I'll- um- I'll get you some cereal from the store,” Zico smiled unnaturally and ran out to the car, not caring he was still in his pyjamas, which actually luckily consisted of some old tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt. Hani got up and ran upstairs, facing her mirror. Her face was bright red and her heart was still beating rapidly.

 

Hani was dressed and watching tv when Zico returned. Just as Zico sat down next to Hani her phone rang, and she glanced at the caller ID before standing up and answering.

“Hey, Junhong,” Hani said. “What's up?”

“Do you want to meet up today?” Junhong asked.

“Uh, sure,” Hani told him. “Where?”

“I could pick you up and we could go shopping?”

“Sounds good! Do you know where I live?”

“Yeah, I've been there with Zico before. I'll pick you up at-”

“How do you know Zico?”

“We're in the same... group. I'll pick you up at 11? Love you.”

Hani couldn't bring herself to tell Junhong she loved him, so she said, “Um, see you,” and ended the call.

“Is it okay if I go out with Junhong today?” Hani asked Zico who was watching the tv forlornly.

“Sure, as long as you eat something first,” he said, nodding towards the cereal but not taking his eyes off the tv.

“Thanks,” Hani smiled, even though he didn't see, and moved to the cereal.

 

“Hi,” Hani smiled breathlessly as she opened the door to Junhong- she'd been upstairs when he'd arrived.

“Hey,” he grinned. “Should we go?”

“Yeah,” Hani nodded. “See you, Zico!”

She heard a faint grunt from inside as she closed the door.

“You still okay with shopping?” Junhong asked, leading Hani to his car. She thought it was her car, anyway, until they climbed into the back and she noticed someone sitting in front of the wheel.

“Yeah,” she said. “Who's that?” she then whispered to him, trying not to be rude.

“That's Himchan,” Junhong told her. “Seeing as I don't have my license yet... He offered to drive us, instead of taking the bus.”

“Ohh,” Hani nodded, understanding.

 

“Thank you,” Hani said as she jumped out of the car. Himchan nodded to them as he drove away. Junhong naturally reached for Hani's hand and she flinched in surprise. She internally yelled at herself for being so awkward and smiled as she took Junhong's hand.

“Do you want to go get a coffee or something?” Junhong asked as they walked into the huge shopping centre.

“Sure,” Hani agreed. They came to a Starbucks and Junhong ushered Hani into a chair. Hani told him what she wanted and waited for him to return.

 

Drumming her fingers on the tabletop, Hani watched as five boys and men crowded around a smaller boy, intimidating him. She watched as the one who seemed to be the leader kicked the boy in the stomach, making him double up in pain. After the second time the leader kicked the boy, Hani stood up abruptly and marched over to the group. When it was too late, and she was too close to turn back, she noticed it was the group of guys she'd seen at the club- Junhong's friends.

“Hey!” she yelled. The group turned to look at her, leaving the boy unattended. She nodded her head to the side, subtly but obviously enough that the boy would see- that was his signal to escape. He crept around the group and skittered away.

“What do you want?” the leader asked- crap, it was Yongguk!

“Didn't I... Didn't I see you on Friday?” Hani faltered.

“Probably. Just leave before... Where the hell did he go?”

Hani would've laughed if the group weren't advancing on her menacingly. She her heels and started to run back to Starbucks, where she could see Junhong sat where she was meant to be.

 

“Where did you go?” Junhong asked worriedly.

“Your 'friends' were bullying some little kid... So I went over to help him.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah.”

“I got you a drink,” Junhong grinned suddenly, ing the paper cup over to Hani. On the side, Junhong had gotten the server to write 'cutie'. Hani blushed.

“Thanks.”

Junhong looked down and started fiddling with his hands while Hani watched him, intrigued.

“Can I... Can I ask you a question?” Hani asked suddenly.

“Go ahead,” Junhong nodded, looking up at Hani, his eyes burning into her own.

“What made you confess to me?”

Junhong coughed, taken by surprise. “Well... You know, I'd seen you around a lot and you're obviously the prettiest girl in the school, no, Seoul... And then I heard you talking to your friend a lot, and you seemed really nice... It was just kind of an instinct, I guess.”

 

For a moment, Hani couldn't talk. She didn't know what she'd expected, but it wasn't that. After a minute or so, she smiled up at Junhong, who'd been watching her. When he saw her reaction, Junhong put his drink down and leaned over the table, then kissed Hani lightly. Nothing too mushy-movie, but it was Hani's first kiss. And it was great.

Ok second part of double update is done; i hope you all like it!!!