Flashback

In Denial

 

Hani glanced down at her hands as she sat on the bench, waiting for Zico. The snow had stopped falling a while ago but Hani could feel small droplets of rain falling on the top of her head. She looked up at the sound of someone being slapped and the surprised scream that followed. Jumping up subconsciously, she started to move towards the couple who were in the middle of an argument. Stepping out onto the busy road, she stopped, her mind jumping back a while.

 

Taking a deep breath, I glanced across at my father as he drove me home from school that night. Usually I caught the bus, but he said he'd come and pick me up as he wasn't at work.

Dad?” I asked cautiously.

Yes?”

I... I have a boyfriend.”

Stunned silence fell in the small car as my father hit the brakes.

Is this a joke?” He asked as we pulled over to the side of the road. I shook my head slightly. I didn't see it coming. I blinked at exactly the wrong moment.

 

My father brought his hand across my face in a swift motion, leaving a stinging pain. My hand immediately moved towards my cheek, giving him the chance to grab it, and leave a ring of small bruises on my wrist. I looked up at him, and saw only hatred in his eyes. Not realising I was crying, I tried to push the door open, but he locked the car doors before I could escape. I was truly trapped.

 

That night, the house was full of whispers and shadows. I stayed in my room for most of the evening but as I passed by the living room to get to the kitchen, I heard something that would scar me forever.

Why her face? Now she has to stay here until it heals. You should have hit her body.”

My own mother, telling my father how he should abuse me. I my heels and ran upstairs, not leaving my room for anything.

 

Zico looked up and the first thing he noticed was the lack of Hani on the bench. He glanced around, trying not to panic, and saw her, stood still, about to be hit by a speeding car.

 

He dropped his food on the ground and sprinted towards Hani as fast as his legs would allow. The rain blurred his vision as he leapt into the road and was almost blinded by the headlights. He pulled Hani from the busy road and wrapped his arms around her tightly, taking a moment to catch his breath.

 

“Hani, what were you thinking?” Zico whispered into Hani's slightly damp hair. He could feel her shivering. “Are you cold, Nini?”

He felt Hani shake her head against his chest and felt the damp patch spreading on his shirt. Hani was sobbing quietly against Zico's welcoming chest. Not quite sure what to do, Zico held her tightly, the back of her head with his thumb.

 

“Nini, we should probably get home,” Zico said. Hani nodded and pulled away from him, wiping her eyes and giving a weak smile.

“Sorry,” she apologised, her voice cracking. “I just... remembered something.”

“Don't be sorry,” Zico told her. He put one arm around her waist and began to lead her back to the house. Unexpectedly, Hani took his other hand with her own and smiled up at him through the rain. “If you ever want to talk, I'm here, okay?”

Hani nodded and they turned back onto the road they'd left just hours ago.

 

“You're sure there isn't another room?” Zico asked, gesturing to the double bed they were supposed to be sharing.

“There was,” Hani looked up from towel-drying her hair, “but Mum wanted it as a private study.”

She noticed how stressed Zico looked. “Don't worry, Zico, I won't take advantage of you.” She winked and left the room to hang the towel up. Zico shook his head, wondering how her mood had changed so quickly. Hani wandered back in, having changed into her pyjamas in the bathroom. Zico tried not to stare at how she was wearing a single flimsy vest and a pair of shorts.

 

“Do you feel awkward?” Hani whispered as they lay in the dark. Her parents returned a while ago and thought they were asleep.

“Kind of,” Zico replied. “You?”

“Nope,” Hani said. “You're my closest friend. Why would I feel awkward?”

Before Zico could answer, she shuffled across the bed and lay to face him.

“Night,” Hani smiled, before closing her eyes, leaving a bewildered Zico staring.

 

/sings flashback by after school to anyone who reads this/

hi second update today like i promised

i'll try and update soon ok i'm sorry i take so long i'm lame

ilu all<3