Nothing Is As It Seems

Metal Body, Human Soul

            Creak. Creak. Creak. Click. Creak. Creak. Click.

            I watched as Creator applied the finishing touches to the robot, and if I were human, I can promise you that I would be trembling from fear. Yet again, if I were human, I wouldn’t be disassembled.

            The robot looked just as shiny and perfect as Luhan. Every bit of the robot was as human-like as possible, except for of course the color and visible bolts here and there. Creator has mentioned how she will move as fluidly as Luhan and work just as Luhan does.

            Just yesterday, Creator had taken Luhan into one of the spare work rooms to work on the more human functions of Luhan’s face that he had discovered while working on the new robot. Luhan had shut down and was up on a metal table again, allowing Creator to upgrade Luhan’s ability to convey emotions.

            Creator said that Luhan would be ready right before the new one is. It feels strange to be here without Luhan’s presence. Perhaps it is because most of the time, he was here helping Creator, better than I’ve ever helped.

            Up until this point, Creator still hasn’t told me of his plan for me. I assume he will say he is going to upgrade me and end up just taking me apart. I wonder if that’s better for me… to believe that I’m being upgraded.

            “Now.” Creator stood up and wiped his hands on a cloth. “Please just dust her over while I go to complete Luhan. I expect her to be spotless when I return.”

            Creak. Nod. Clink. Clink. Clink.

            I grabbed a clean towel from the counter and walked back to the robot. I suddenly had an urge to destroy her. To rip her face off and throw water over the entire body. But I knew that I was neither strong enough physically nor strong enough in will.

            I wiped over the face of the robot and just noticed (stupidly) how the small panel in the back of the head was open. I peered in and noticed that some systems were missing. Perhaps Creator isn’t as far along as I thought.

            “What are you doing?”

            I stood up straight quickly and turned. “Cleaning the back of the head.”

            Creator stiffly nodded and walked towards me. “Go flip Luhan’s switch to on. I have finished with his upgrade.”

            Creak. Nod.

            “Yes, Creator.” I sped out of the room and towards the other workroom. Creator nearly caught me sneaking a glance at the robot’s internal systems. He’d scold me for being too curious and send me into my room for a long time to clean my room over, despite it always being clean.

            I opened the door to see Luhan lying down. His face looked relatively the same, but with fewer bolts and slightly less stiff points. He seemed more relaxed and human-like, despite the minor change.

            Pushing up his bod, I opened a panel and found the switch, flipping it quickly and closing the panel.

            There was a soft whirring sound before Luhan’s eyes opened and revealed a blue color. I picked up his shirt from off the counter and handed it to him. His eyes switched to green and for the first time, he tested out his less mechanical face and smiled.

            “This is an interesting way to manipulate my face… It is a lot easier than before,” said Luhan, slipping the shirt on and standing up. “How long have I been out?”

            “Barely just a day,” I replied. “I must go back to the other room to see if Creator needs assistance.”

            “I’ll go with you.” Luhan smiled again and followed behind me. He didn't see phased by his change.

            When Luhan arrived Creator looked up and smiled. “How is it working, Luhan?”

            “It works fine, Creator.” Luhan smiled and Creator chuckled.

            “Good. I am nearly complete with the internal systems, and of course, I’ve just finished the facial functions.” Creator hesitated before standing up and walking over to me.

            If I could cry, I would have. I was terrified now. Absolutely terrified. It’s time.

            Creator gestured to me to sit down in the chair.

            “I must tell you something that I have been hiding from you.”

            I wanted to close my eyes and ignore his words, but I knew he wouldn’t have any of that.

            I looked at his face and his constant frown at me turned into a light smile. I was confused. What was going on?

            “You are well aware that you are my first robot.”

            Creak. Nod.

            “And I have treated you… indecently for a long time.” He frowned. “And I must be honest with you. I did that… as a front… a mere façade… dear Hana.”

            Hana. He hasn’t called me that in so long. But I was still confused. More so than I’ve ever been.

            “Creator, what is going on?”

            “I have already talked about this to Luhan, and he has done a good job of protecting my secret for me.” Creator smiled and pat Luhan on the shoulder. Luhan’s eyes were a bright green, very clear and pure. “I have never despised you as a robot… I have never hated you as my first creation… And I never thought of you as a failure of mine. Do you know why I treated you as a servant?”

            I shook my head.

            He chuckled. “At first, I did think of you badly, and that is how I treated you. But… I couldn’t harbor those feelings. You were my first creation! How could I not love you as a father does? So I began to study on creating an upgrade for you. An upgrade that would fix all of the problems that I knew you hid away from me.”

            “Then why am I still treated as a servant?” The question slipped from my mouth before I could process what I said.

            Creator smiled and shook his head. “I thought that if I switched you from a life of suffering to a life of pleasure, you would be happier.”

            “You are correct to think so, Creator.”

            He smiled and sighed. “But I regret treating you so… I began experimenting and eventually created Luhan. His body was so much more advanced that your current body. It would be the perfect upgrade.”

            Was Creator really saying what I was hearing? What is this? Is this… really happening?

            “And from there… I began my creation of the new body… for my first creation.” He smiled at me kindly, without any falseness behind his eyes.

            Luhan simply smiled throughout the conversation. His eyes seemed to sparkle before he walked over to the new robot body… My new body.

            “This is indeed your new body… and I must therefore… transfer several of your internal systems into it,” said Creator, helping me up from the chair. “Luhan, will you bring in the extra metal bed?” He then looked at me and asked, “Of course, I will only continue if you wish.”

            I nodded, dazed by what Creator had just told me. I was escaping this body. This old body that I’ve hated because I did not satisfy Creator.

            “This will transfer all of your memories and knowledge etc. so you will not lose anything but the squeaking and rustiness of your old body.”

            I lay down on the metal bed that Luhan brought in and he smiled at me.

            “I’ll be helping Creator. He has introduced to me the several steps to transferring your systems to this new body.”

            I nodded, the creak of my neck barely a distraction to me. Was I happy? Yes. Was I shocked? Yes. Was I excited? Yes. Were all of my questions answered? Barely, but… yes.

            “Are you nervous?” asked Luhan.

            I hesitantly nodded.

            Creator ped the back of my dress only slightly to access the back panel.

            “Don’t worry. This shall only take a day,” said Creator, bringing over several tools. “And, Hana, I apologize for putting you through the lies and the suffering.”

            I shook my head. “It is fine, Creator.”

            “You know… Hana is a lovely name,” said Luhan as he smiled, before he flipped the switch.

           But right before my mind sunk into darkness, fear struck me as I realized: had I just fallen for Creator's trap?


Almost done~ Her name is finally revealed~! (And Hana is a Korean name as well as Japanese... just as a bonus fact :D ) How was it? Comment your suggestions and opinions~ Did you guys expect this? hahaha I hope you like this and the upcoming chapter (which I don't know when I will upload, but soon!)! Look forward~! Please subscribe~!

Thanks for reading :3!

~DespisedSecret