Perfect Without Me

Metal Body, Human Soul

 

            Red.

            The first time I’ve seen his eyes turn red. And that was the scariest moment I have ever experienced.

            It was after he’d gone out with Creator to buy some more supplies. They would go and do that once or twice every two weeks, so like every other time, I assumed things would have gone well.

            But the moment he returned, Luhan’s eyes were a dark, cold red. Every piece of equipment he had been carrying fell from his arms as he stalked to his room. His eyes flickered to me, and I immediately felt fear radiate through my body when we made eye contact.

            I slowly walked to Luhan’s room and knocked gently. The door swung open, Luhan’s eyes cooling down to a pale orange.

            “May I get you anything? You must be tired from your trip out.”

            His head shook. “No, thank you.” He moved to close the door when I heard a creak echo from his left arm. Luhan’s metal eyelids seemed to cause his eyes to widen and turn a slightly darker orange before he quickly closed the door, leaving me surprised.

            Creator has always kept him well oiled and his limbs silent. Did I hear wrong? Maybe it was my own arm or some other part of my body.

            I walked away, my feet clinging as they hit the ground. But why would Luhan seem surprised?

            What about Creator? How did he act when he arrived home? He seemed calm as usual, and told Luhan to go study in his room. He acted as if nothing was wrong.

            The happy, curious Luhan seemed to have never existed behind the red and orange eyes he had.

            Was Creator beginning to neglect Luhan? He was so satisfied with the outcome though. Did Creator find a better robot type to make? Luhan was already such an advanced robot, how much more could Creator do?

            Even so, what could have made Luhan so furious?

            All of these thoughts jumbled through my head, conflicting each other over and over again.

. . .

            “I assume you are curious.”

            Startled, I loudly turned around to see Luhan, standing a few feet away stiffly. His eyes were no longer orange and seemed to take on a black color.

            He took my silence as a positive sign, though I cannot confirm whether it was good or bad, and walked closer to me, sitting down on the couch as I pushed the vacuum up to stand on its own.

            Clink. Click. Clop. Shing.

            “Will it push your curiosity more to know that it involved you?”

            I shifted slightly, turning towards him. “What are you talking about?”

            There seemed to be a shadow of red flickering in and out of his black eyes.

            “Let us move into a different room. Creator may overhear easily if we speak in the living room.” He stood again, walking towards the vacuum, pulling it into the hallway closet, and gesturing for me to follow him.

            Surprised for a moment, I hesitated before following, confused.

            Luhan moved silently, or so I assumed, while I moved noisily beside him, causing me to hypothetically cringe at the emphasis.

            Clink. Clink. Clink. Creak. Clink. Clop. Cling.

            We walked into his room, him sitting on his bed, me standing in front of him.

            “This must be quick, Luhan. I have a list of other things I must do for Creator.”

            “I should think that you would hate Creator enough by now to go against him.”

            “Just a while ago, you were happy with Creator.”

            “That does not mean now.”

            “Then just what did he say or do?”

            “Creator… is working on a new project.”

            “And?”

            “He is creating a new robot. He has said that this robot will be based off of me.”

            “Should that be good or bad? It seems as if you will have a companion who is up to level as you are.”

            “But he plans to destroy you afterwards.”

            All of my systems seemed to turn surprisingly cold. I assume it would be like a human saying that they’re blood froze or something of that sort.

            “Then what does this have to do with you?”

            “I began to notice even before he told me. I was being neglected more and more, left to myself more often than not. When he told me of his plan… I began to realize just how you might have when you heard that I would be made.” His eyes began to bleed into a dark red. “I believe that his plan is to destroy you and treat me later as he treats you now.”

            “But… the model should be the same as you are. Why must he turn you into the servant?” I said.

            “So I confronted him of it,” replied Luhan, his voice laced with something I’d never experienced from him before. Something frightening. “And he refused to answer me. His eyes seemed to convey disbelief, but shouldn’t I be the one to express that?” His voice began to grow louder, eyes burning slightly brighter.

            “Luhan, you must calm down.”

            “Why must I be calm about this? Do you realize that soon, you shall seize to exist and that a new robot will come and overshadow me as well?”

            The last comment stung. That was not how I felt when Luhan was made. I felt overjoyed that a new robot should join me. Even if he were to be treated better, as long as he satisfied Creator and lived peacefully, I would have no objections. But that is falling apart now.

            Through my silence, his eyes seemed to quickly flicker to the dark indigo blue that I have very rarely seen, realizing what he had said.

            “And you were… simply cast away just like I will be,” he said, his voice losing much of its volume.

            After a moment's hesitation and thought, I disagreed. My head creakily shook left and right. “Luhan, perhaps Creator is simply busy and will not cast you away so simply. Once the new robot is created, you will be able to be treated as always. Creator has probably planned to destroy me eventually and will create a fourth robot after you and the new one in order to use that robot to serve you all better. I have very basic functions, functions that a mere human could exceed.” I turned around and stiffly walked out of the room, catching a glimmer of blue, then red, then indigo go through his eyes quickly.

          Clink. Clink. Clink. Clop.

            I do not see how he should be so worried about being thrown aside. The robot shall be built similarly to him… I should probably prepare myself for Creator telling me about it himself. As soon as he does, I think that my demolition will be soon after. I cannot say I am not surprised, but to be honest… I expected it to come eventually.

            Perhaps it will be better this way. Creator will forget that he created me, Luhan will disregard me and cover up the memory of me with other memories, and everything will fall back perfectly into place. As if I never existed.


Please comment with feedback! (any opinions or suggestions are welcome ^.^) Is the story moving too fast? Please subscribe!

Thanks for reading~!

~DespisedSecret