The Settling of Panic

Metal Body, Human Soul

 

            Clink. Clink. Clink. Clop. Creak. Clink.

            It has been several weeks since Creator’s last visit to town, and almost every hour of everyday, he remains in the experiment room, working.

            I have seen the progress of the robot, and it is progressing much faster than I had expected. Most of the exterior and interior were finished, according to what Luhan said.

            As always, I have assisted Creator as best as I could. And I’ve seen just how different the new robot is compared to me (though nearly completely similar to Luhan). The body shape is much more suited for a human female. Corners rounded, unlike my square, box-like shapes.

            I was envious of this new robot. I really… wanted to be more human-like… more wanted... more satisfactory to Creator. Luhan is and this robot will be as well. But I was also happy that Luhan and the new robot will not be treated the way I am. I will always be happy for that. For them.

            But I can’t seem to help but hesitate nowadays whenever Creator asks for my assistance. Is it because subconsciously I really do not want this robot to be completed? Most probable. Actually, consciously I am aware of this. But I will not admit that to anyone but myself.

            I refuse to displease anyone for the rest of my short life. If that means my opinions will not be heard, that will not be difficult since I have been doing so for such a long time.

            Clink. Clink. Clink.

            “What may I help you with, Creator?”

            “Oh, you’re here. Please help me bring that new container of oil to Luhan. He is to oil himself. Afterwards, please oil the new robot. That is all.”

            Silence.

            “Yes, Creator.”

            Clink. Clink. Clink.

            I think he has begun to notice the slight change in my behavior, for Creator often gives me a strange look when he thinks I am unaware. It seems to be a look of wonder or slight confusion.

            Clink. Clink. Clink. Cling. Clop. Shing. Clink. Clink. Clink. Knock. Knock.

            The door opened and Luhan gave his attempted smile. “Oil?”

            Creak. Nod.

            I walked in and set down the oil and a small container on his desk, thus turning to leave.

            “Why don’t you stay? I’ll be done in a second, and I’m sure Creator asked you to go oil the new robot afterwards.”

            He seems completely in sync with Creator.

            I turned and nodded, standing awkwardly by the door as he prepared the oil.

            “You can sit down on my bed.” His green eyes looked up at me before turning back to the oil.

            I stiffly walked over and hesitantly sat on his bed.

            “You know, you seem to hesitate a lot. Think less about what you do. You think to much about your actions.”

            That wasn’t quite my reason some of the time. But his advice seemed wise.

            A few minutes of silence passed. To him, it seemed perfectly comfortable. To me, it seemed awkward and stiff. If I moved just a bit, something from me would make a creak or groan.

            Luhan then stood up and walked over to me, handing the containers over. “Thanks for bringing it. I was actually waiting for some distraction from studying.” He gestured to the several books piled up on his desk.

            “How often do you study?”

            “Perhaps once a week. I usually finish so much that Creator has to go out and purchase more books to teach me more. However, he has been rather busy lately so he told me to read a few books I’d already read before.”

            I nodded and gave a stiff wave, before Luhan grabbed my wrist for a moment.

            “I remembered something that Creator just told me recently. Would you like to know the latest update on the robot?”

            Of course, I was curious and therefore nodded.

            “Creator has said that he has created a way for the robot to not only express emotions through eye color but through facial expression as well. Of course, the metal must be a bit more flexible. However, Creator has found a solution to that. He has also promised that he will work the update into me as well.”

            His eyes seemed to glitter happily before he let go of my wrist. “Go on and assist Creator. I would not want you to get in trouble because of me.”

            “Yes, Luhan.”

            Turning, I walked out the room and towards the experiment room.

            Creator was sitting by the robot, working on the ankle part, which seemed rather loose. He looked up and gestured for me to go on the other side to oil.

            This silence between us was normal. Not so awkward. Mostly because the squeaking of the robot’s ankle out-did her own creaking in volume.

            Creak. Creak. Creak. Squeak. Creak. Cling. Creak.

            “Tomorrow, I must send Luhan on his own to help me purchase a few items. Please ensure that he is dressed appropriately and to give him my satchel. After you are done here, please tell Luhan to come here to speak to me.”

            “Of course, Creator.”

. . .

            “Creator has told me that the few items I am to get for him will be the final pieces to the robot. The construction moved much faster than expected because of his experience in constructing me. After he has finished with 95% of the robot, he well proceed to work on the face of my body. Afterwards, he will finish the new robot.” Luhan’s eyes seemed to sparkle green, though there seemed to be a slight force of dark blue that kept trying to overcome the green. “Creator has not spoken another word about you though.”

            Creak. Nod.

            I handed him the satchel, making sure that no weapons were inside. When going into town, if they found a weapon on you, they would have thrown you into jail. With less hesitation when dealing with a robot.

            “You must be careful not to be caught doing something that can seem as if you are trying to harm anyone around you. I am sure that whenever Creator brought you to town, he has made sure you behave accordingly. Do just as you have.”

            “How do you know this?”

            “A long time ago, Creator was about to bring me into town. But that was before a friend of his came with a book explaining different levels of robots. He only managed to brief me slightly about town before he set to work on… you.”

            Luhan nodded understandingly before lifting the satchel over his shoulder. “I should be back within two hours then.” He nodded to me and gave me his attempted smile before walking out the door.

            So Creator has worked so fast on the robot… The fear is finally beginning to set in. When will Creator take me to the experiment room only to pull the plug on my life?

            The fact that Creator is almost 95% finished… A sudden panic rushed over me. Would he really destroy me? Probably. How would he do this? I’ve never witnessed him do anything of this sort. Would Luhan assist him? I hope not. We have some sort of friendship… I hope he will try not to help him disassemble me. 


I wonder if people are really reading this all... :/ Please comment your opinion and suggestions! I hope you like it~ (and if not, like I just said, please comment!) It's coming to an end soon~ so I'm wondering if this is moving too fast ><

Thanks for reading and please subscribe!

~DespisedSecret