Learning More: Positive or Negative

Metal Body, Human Soul

 

            A loud whirring could be heard throughout the large, empty house as I vacuumed the living room. The only other sounds were of me clinking around.

            Clink. Clink. Clink. Whirrrr. Clink. Clink. Clink.

            The other day, when Luhan went to town with Creator, he came back, eyes lit green, his metal mouth forming a smile as best it could. Creator had brought back a black and blue, simple dress for me, replacing my dirty gray and white dress.

            After Creator handed me my dress, Luhan’s eyes turned to me and he happily walked over, placing a small package on top of my dress, saying that he remembered to get me something.

            I gave a stiff thank you before Luhan walked away, eyes still a bright, shining green.

            Clink. Clink. Whirrr. Clink. Clink. Shing. Whirrr.

            Since then, he hasn’t talked to me often. Luhan only gives me a slight glance before following behind Creator as he does his daily work.

            Clink. Clink. Whirrr. Creak. Slam. Flick.

            Luhan seems like a little boy, curious about everything. His eyes seem to be constantly a pale blue. If not blue, then they are green. I have not seen the indigo color again… 

            Dragging the vacuum behind me, I pulled it into a closet, shutting it in before sharply walking towards the kitchen to prepare Creator’s next meal.

            Clink. Clink. Clink.

            “Are you preparing my meal?”

            Creator walked into the kitchen, watching as I pulled a few things out of the refrigerator.

            “Yes, Creator.”

            “Excellent. Have it brought to my study room. I will be in there teaching a few things to Luhan.”

            “Of course, Creator.”

            Before he left, he turned to me and said, “Luhan seems to have a very quick mind. He is able to pick up things very quickly. Soon, he shall be able to assist me in my experiments. Please prepare a work smock or cloak of some sort so that when he works with me, he does not get dirty.”

            “Yes, Creator.”

            Helping with experiments? Was Luhan really learning the science of things so quickly? Creator wanted Luhan to work on these experiments with him?

            I was a bit conflicted… more so confused. Was Creator considering Luhan as a partner? Or another tool like me? Will Creator continue with his research in robots and toss Luhan aside eventually? Or will he move on to a different sort of study?

            My head was swimming with these thoughts as I prepared a simple sandwich for Creator, the knife in my hands accidentally sliding against my fingers, creating a completely unpleasant sound.

            Shing. Chop. Chop. Shing.

            Piecing the sandwich together quickly, I grabbed a glass, filling it with water and carried the two items to a pair of large doors, small designs elegantly carved about with the words ‘Private Study’ scrawled across the center.

            Knock. Creak. Knock.

            “Come in.”

            Clink. Creak. Click. Clink. Clink. Clink. Turn. Creak. Click. Clink. Clink. Clink. Clop.

            “Thank you.”

            I looked to the side where Luhan sat, flipping through a large book, his eyes a gray blue color.

            But as he flipped through the book as if skimming, I realized that he was actually reading every single word, his eyes moving quickly along the words of the book.

            In a matter of minutes, he set aside the book and went to grab another large book on his right when he spotted me, his eyes turning into a pale green.

            “Hi.” He waved happily.

            “Hello.”

            Curving his metal mouth into a small smile, he turned back to grab a book, his eyes flicking back to a gray blue.

            So that is what Creator meant. Luhan was able to read at an incredible speed, only achievable by machines. He contained the information like a computer, but probably had a much larger memory capacity.

            The pages of the book seemed to be constantly flipped, almost as if Luhan was fanning himself with the moving pages. That was just how fast he was reading the material.

            “Is there anything you need?”

            My head creaked and turned towards Creator. “All of my tasks are completed for the day.”

            “I see… Luhan, is there anything else you might need that she may fetch for you?”

            Luhan’s eyes flickered up for a second, still reading the books intently, already switching to the next huge book. “No, thank you.”

            Creator stood up and walked over to me, circling around. “I have noticed that your joints have been creaking and groaning increasingly. After my meal, I shall help you oil a few joints to show you. Afterwards, please continue yourself.”

            “Yes, Creator.”

            That was the first time in ages that I have been oiled. The last time I remembered was just a bit before he began working on Luhan.

            Clink. Clink. Clink. Clink. Clop. Creak. Click. Clink. Clink. Groan. Click.

            Reaching my room, I slowly opened the door and walked in, climbing up onto my bed and sitting down. This is what I usually did… whenever I did not have anything to do. I would have to be on stand by just in case Creator needed me for something.

            But without another second passing, my door opened and Luhan walked in.

            “Is there anything you need?”

            “What is your name?” His eyes were blue again as he turned and shut the door.

            “Is that all you wish to know?”

            Luhan nodded.

            “I am afraid that I cannot give you my name. I do not have one.”

            There was the flicker of indigo again before turning back to pale blue.

            “Why not?”

            Creator took it away from me.

            “Creator did not have time to think of one for me.”

            He paused, tilting his head to the side in curiosity. He was like a little dog.

            “Should you go back to Creator? I am sure that he wishes to give you more to read.”

            “I left. He did not call for me to return. I assume that he shall allow me a short break. I have been reading for the entire day.”

            “It is only after noon. Continuing with your studies would be a good thing to do.”

            “But I am not merely curious with the information in those books. I am curious about everything in this household, how everything works. I can learn that from you, can’t I?” His innocent blue eyes peered at me, trying to get me to agree.

            “Why do you wish to learn about the household from me? Creator can tell you all you wish.”

            “I would like to see from your perspective.”

            Hesitating a bit, I got off the bed, my feet creating a loud bang when hitting the floor.

            Clink. Clink. Clink.

            “What would you like to know about first?”

            “Perhaps a bit about you. Creator does not talk of you when I ask.”

            “There is nothing to ask of me.”

            “There is a lot I am curious about. This will further my studies in our kind, as robots. It would be like Creator studying humans.”

            I stood right in front of him, a lot smaller compared to him. If you looked at us together, you would never think that we lived in the same house.

            Luhan was dressed in very casual, but clean, and well-made clothing. I wore a dress that was smudged here and there with dust and dirt, with no time to clean. Though it lasted well at first, the dress eventually began to easily tear, causing me to have to patch it up several times.

            “Proceed with your questions then,” I replied monotonously.

            “Are you programmed to give specific answers to certain questions?”

            “No.”

            “How do you create your answers then? Did Creator give you the ability to think on your own?”

            “He may have by accident, but yes, he did. I am capable of thinking on my own.”

            “Why do you have such a monotonous voice and your eyes are constantly an orange color?”

            “As I have answered before, I am not as advanced as you. I am unable to convey emotions whatsoever.”

            “But you do have emotions and form your own opinions?” Luhan’s eyes were a green-blue color, a beautiful shade.

            “Yes.”

            His eyes lit green. “Creator should update you. I should think that you would become much more pleasant with a more advanced way of expression.”

            “I do not believe that Creator will do so. And I am content as I am.”

            “Why?”

            “I am able to help Creator this way.”

            “But would it not be better to become more advanced?”

            “Creator is far too busy to improve me. The whole process would take far too much time.”

            Luhan’s eyes flashed back to blue, but seemed to be mixed with some gray, like when he was studying. “Does Creator… know that you are as capable of creating your own opinions and emotions as I do?”

            And that was the jackpot question. I was wondering how long it would take before he asked.

            “I am unable to prove this fact to him.”

            “But as you just said, it is a fact. Creator is a realistic and logical person. The simple fact that you are able to think as I do means that Creator has already created a quite advanced robot on his first try.”

            “I do not believe that he will believe me.”

            “Why shouldn’t he?”

            “He has always thought of me as a very simple robot. I have been… as you asked before… something very close to a prototype.”

            Now, prototype may not seem like such a bad thing in a human’s perspective. But to a robot, I feel as if it is the lowest position one could be in.

            “But you are not.”

            “How so?”

            “You may have been used as the foundation on which I am built on, but originally, did Creator not think of you as a master creation of his? At some point in time, did he not think of you like that?”

            “Yes.”

            “Therefore, you are not a prototype. And you can still be improved upon.”

            “But I have already said, Luhan, that Creator has no time for me.”

            Clink. Clink. Clink.           

            “Stay in here if you wish, but I must prepare the oil for Creator to use on me.”

            I did not look back, knowing that Luhan was intently gazing after me. Why was he so compelled to find out more about me? In a matter of minutes, he has learned nearly everything about me.

            Clink. Clink. Clink. Clop. Click. Groan. Clink. Clink. Groan. Click. Clop. Slam.

            I grabbed a large can of oil, pouring some into a smaller container and mixing.

            I would not have Luhan upset Creator. Asking about me would only cause Creator to turn away from Luhan, irritated by the coming of questions he did not wish to answer. Yet... if Luhan somehow got through to Creator... would Creator consider even just slightly improving me? It seemed hopeless... but I'd allowed Luhan to insert those thoughts into my head.

            The longer I got to know him, the more I thought that, despite being innocent and naïve at first, he would begin to cause slight conflicts in this house soon.


I'm updating so fast >.< As always, I would love for you to comment your opinion on my writing and any tips! Is it getting boring already? Or am I keeping it interesting? Feedback is greatly appreciated! 

Thanks for reading!

~DespisedSecret