|| Eight ||

When Two Different Fates Entwine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Two weeks had nearly passed since Kris had found out about my identity and well, believe it or not, things actually hadn’t been that hard. Except for his occasional random chores around the campus, which is always totally pointless by the way, Kris had let me be. Sure he throws me unfriendly gazes, but he mostly ignores me pointedly during classes. And that worked out fine with me. I didn't want to give the girls here another reason to shoot me unnecessary glares. For the past two weeks, I've learned that Kris, and Lu Han, were definitely off-limits if you wanted to make it out of here alive. I'm not kidding. Not that I wanted to be acquainted with either of them; low profile, remember?   "Eunae!"   I had been sitting on a bench, near the entrance to the forest, my jacket zipper pulled up to my neck, my hoodie fully covering my head, mulling all of those thoughts in my head, when Lu Han appeared all of a sudden and scared the daylights out of me.   He laughed at seeing my face and then went to sit beside me and gave me his usual bright grin. "Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."   I raised an eyebrow at him because of the way he was laughing, it looked to me as if he had meant it.   "On second thought." His grin widened. "I think maybe I did, a little."   "A little?" I repeated, my tone mocking.   He nodded innocently.   I shook my head, and then shifted in my seat so my body was angled to him. "So what are you doing here?" It came out rather sharply.   "Ouch." He smacked his chest as if in pain. "I was only going to ask you to have dinner with Jieun and me before we leave for the weekend, but here you are, already shooing me away as if I'm not your friend." He turned around and went to sulk.   A smile immediately formed on my face. It was difficult to keep away from Lu Han when he was acting like this, treating me like how he treated his friends, remembering me when I shouldn't be remembered and caring as if he really did. Ever since that locked-out-of-my-room episode (Kris gave me back my room after I managed to sing a full stanza in our singing class), Lu Han had treated me as if we'd been friends for a really long time, inviting me to whatever he and Jieun did.   "You don't like me? Us?" he had asked when I had wondered out loud why he was so nice to me.   I had immediately waved off my hands then. "It's not like that. I'm just wondering. Especially since there are a lot of people who want to be your and Jieun's friends."   He had merely shrugged. "They have tons of friends, while you don't. They don't really need me and my sister's company, while you," he paused, and smiled at me warmly, making my insides flutter. "I think you do."   Whatever doubts I had with Lu Han, especially because of his playful and flirty attitude, were gone after hearing those words. His intentions were simple, pure and clear.   My heart warmed at the memory. "Hey, deer leader," I muttered now. "Stop acting and let's go. Jieun's probably waiting."   He immediately turned with a bright face. "Heh. You know I'm just kidding."   "I do. It's actually kind of hard to tell when you're serious," I said, wrinkling my nose.   "Hey! I'm always serious."   "I thought you're always kidding," I said, faking a suspicious stare.   He grinned, totally catching what I was doing. "Maybe that's one of my charms, you know. Being mysterious."   "Nuh-uh," I disagreed. "That's not mysterious. Tricky -- sure. Mysterious? Unlikely."   Lu Han didn't respond. Instead, he just continued beaming at me as if something was amusing on my face.   "Nothing," he answered when I raised an eyebrow at him in question. He leaned on the bench and looked at the purplish orangey sky, his smile turning softer, his eyes flashing a sad glint. "You just really look like her."   I've heard that before. "Look like who?"   When he turned to me, all the traces of reminiscence on his face was gone. "Didn't you say Jieun's waiting?" He stood up and offered his hand.   "Do you always offer your hand to your friends?" I said, deciding to since he didn't answer my question.   He laughed. "If it were others, they'd have grabbed my hand already."   I scrunched my nose at his statement.   He laughed even more. "I know, I know. You're not like other girls."
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter