Chapter 8

Cloud Nine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Suddenly, the sound of shattering glass echoed throughout the room, and you cringed at the painful noise. Sighs of relief and a couple of cheers erupted – they had broken through the window. Jay hugged you tightly, then leaned his forehead against yours.

 

"See? We'll be out of here in no time," he smiled slightly, even though he knew there was still much work to be done. For the time being, you were still trapped.

 

He kissed you lightly. "Sit here and stay warm. I need to go help them dig out the snow."

 

You nodded at him, and he left you alone with the blanket still around you.

 

They busily got to work at clearing the glass from the window, then started digging a tunnel to the outer world. The extra snow had to be piled into the corner. After a couple of minutes they had made considerable progress with shaping the tunnel entrance. Various household objects had to be used to excavate the snow, as using their hands was getting to cold to bear.

 

"Alright, we gotta watch the stability of the sides; we don't want it caving in while we're inside," Jay stated as he reached over the window ledge into the tunnel to continue it upwards towards the surface.

 

"," he suddenly cried out, pulling back out of the tunnel entrance, gripping his forearm tightly.

 

He pulled away his hand, only to reveal a deep gash in his flesh, scarlet blood already trailing down his skin. Your eyes widened at the sight, and you rushed over to him. He had cut his forearm on a piece of broken glass that was still attached to the window frame; nobody had noticed it there.

 

Adrenaline pumping through your system from panic, you exhaled shakily. "You guys take over, I'll treat his arm."

 

Jay was holding some snow to his forearm, trying to numb the pain with its coldness. You tugged

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter