Pasta Troubles

Cafe

Seung-Hyun stared into his black cooking pot.  Once again he had made overcooked pasta.  The noodles were limp, the shape was easily lost, and the tomato sauce he added in was not sticking well. It was a sight he was used to.  The only thing he tried to cook was pasta but it was also the only dish he could never cook right.  Unfortunately for him overcooked pasta was not salvageable.  He sighed in defeat in glance up at the clock. It was already 7:15pm and Hana would be closing the shop pretty soon.  There was not enough time for him to try to make anything again – He had to leave to meet her. 

“What made me think I could actually cook the pasta right this time?” he grumbled as he put on his jacket. 

Locking up the door to his apartment he wondered if he should just take Hana to eat out at a restaurant.

“Jiyong, are you sure about this?” Hana asked while observing the filled picnic basket on the table.  “I can just cook the pasta here rather than at Seung-Hyun’s place.  I could probably even have it done before he gets here”.

“Hana” Jiyong sighed.  He caught her confused expression and sighed again.  The girl’s practicality and time management skills were impressive but they were also a hindrance sometimes.  “Yes you could make the meal here which would save time. In fact you could probably cook it faster here seeing as you have better cooking utensils. But since you’re going to Seung-Hyun’s place you might as well teach the poor man how to make pasta.  It’s a kill two birds with one stone situation– you guys get dinner and Seung-Hyun will stop failing at cooking pasta.”

The girl gave him a doubtful look. “Are you sure he overcooked it this time? What if he isn’t even cooking pasta?”

Jiyong closed his eyes and groaned “For the many years I’ve known him, all he ever cooked was pasta and each time it was overcooked.  He tries but he can’t get it right.  If he’s been overcooking that for that long, I doubt he’ll change anytime soon”.

Hana disappeared through the kitchen doors and brought back a small bottle of red wine.  “Ohh is that Merlot? Seung-Hyun loves that kind” Jiyong exclaimed.   

“What a coincidence, Merlot is my favorite type of red wine. It goes well with pasta” Hana said as she placed the bottle into the bag.  She looked up at the clock and smiled “Seung-Hyun should be here anytime soon”.

Jiyong smiled brightly and propped his hood up “In that case, I’m heading off now.” Hana opened the door for him but before he went through he gave Hana a warm hug.

“It was great meeting you, you’re more than welcome to visit again” Hana said.

“I’ll talk you up on that offer! See you again soon! Tell me how tonight goes next time” he said and gave her a wink. 

As he walked out of the alley he shouted out to Hana “Remember what I told you! Don’t tell Seung-Hyun I came by today.  After tonight you can mention it”.

Before she could inquire why Jiyong wanted to keep his visit a secret, her new friend had disappeared.

“Seung-Hyun and I are just having dinner. I doubt there will be much to tell you” Hana laughed to herself.

Whistling down brightly lit street was a very happy Jiyong. He understood that one thing that helps relationships grow is when people do creative things together and build memories together. This includes things that one person might normally do and not the other. Take, for example, cooking. Not everyone can cook (Seung-Hyun is perfect example of that).

Luckily, though, cooking is something that can be learned. More importantly, it can be shared. Everyone is passionate about eating. Take some of that passion, as a couple, and put it into preparing a meal that both can savor together.  Jiyong smiled like a fool.  Seung-Hyun’s and Hana dinner outing could go so many directions but all Jiyong knew was that tonight was going to go very well for the two. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hana finished up closing up the register, shut off the lights and locked the door to the café.  The only light in the alley was the bright light above the door, it was enough light for her to check her reflection in the café windows.  She let down her hair from the messy bun she had put up.  Then after dusting off the white button up long sleeve she had on, she pulled on a light blue cardigan long sleeve cardigan.  She turned around to make sure there wasn’t any cinnamon dust from the pastries she made earlier sticking onto her cream colored skirt.  She gave a satisfied nod at her appearance, it wasn’t her best look but she was presentable. 

Exiting the alley way she was greeted by the sight of a man across the street leaning against a silver Cadillac.  Seung-Hyun waved to her and Hana couldn’t help but be relieved that he was casually dressed too. Her eyes trailed over a pair of black converse, over dark blue jeans, black and white checkered long sleeve over a white shirt and finally settled on bright brown eyes. 

Hana caught Seung-Hyun staring at the picnic basket in her hand.  “Well …umm, I was thinking you and I could make some pasta tonight” Hana asked shyly.

“Did you just say pasta?” Seung-Hyun asked in disbelief.  Hana gave a small nod and was surprised by Seung-Hyun’s burst of laughter. 

He opened the car door for her “Funny you should mention pasta, you see I….” to Hana’s amazement Jiyong was right – Seung-Hyun confessed he had overcooked the pasta while waiting for Hana. 

 “Sorry, I promised to cook even though I’m a horrid a cook” Seung-Hyun looked over at her apologetically as he drove.

“It was a sweet thought, it’s the effort that counts” Hana reassured him. “Here to make you feel better, we’ll cook it together so you’ll get the hang of it. I’ll let you cook the pasta but I’ll guide you step by step”.

Time went by quickly as they talked in the car.  Hana was so absorbed into their conversation. When she finally looked outside the car window she realized the car wasn’t driving past houses anymore but extravagant villas.  Hana’s mouth dropped open “Seung-Hyun…we’re going to your house right?”

“Yep, my house is right down this street.  In case you’re wondering this is the UN Village in Hannam-dong.  I rented out a house here and became captivated with the surrounding environment and the facilities so I decided to go ahead with it” he said smoothly. 

Speechless Hana could only stare wide eyed at the luxurious villa Seung-Hyun pulled into.  “Dang, your job in the music industry must pay really well!” Hana exclaimed as she jumped out of the car.  She skipped over to his side and hugged the picnic basket to her chest.  “This is just….amazing!”

Hana nudged Seung-Hyun’s gently “Who are you really?” she joked.

It was a playful and simple question. But at that moment Seung-Hyun was reminded that Hana didn’t know specifically what his job was – she still didn’t know he was a member of one of the most famous music groups in South Korea.  If they were going to keep getting closer to one another, keeping his idol identity a secret would be impossible soon. He shook the thought from his head.  Somewhere down the road she would find out but for now he wanted to leave things as they were. 

“Who am I? I’m the guy who is going to learn how to cook pasta today the right way” Seung-Hyun laughed and the two disappeared behind the front door. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And thus another chapter comes to an end.  I’m so sorry I know I promised the dinner scene to be included in this chapter. But for the sake of better quality I am postponing the highly anticipated dinner scene for the next chapter. The wait shall be worthwhile; I guarantee you’ll be hungry and giddy after the next chapter ;)

P.S. I’ve mentioned this before but I want to write another story on another Big Bang Member after this one comes to an end.  But I want you guys to decide who I should write on next.  Please place your vote in the comment section below!! The votes will be tallied as soon as I finish this story.  Happy Voting !