Appetizers

Cafe

Before heading to the café in the morning, Hana took a detour to the strip of food stands a few blocks down the street from the café. She walked past the colorful bento boxes, past the sweet aroma of chocolate and past the series of other temptations towards the burger stand.  The craving for fatty and hearty food was overwhelming.  The burger she ordered to go was loaded with cream cheese, bacon, avocado, and slices of swiss cheese.  Quickly she walked back to the café and leaning against the window wearing a black suit over a pink rose dress suit was Seung-Hyun.  Heading towards him, she wished her stomach would unknot.  For days, Seung-Hyun had been slipping into her mind and crowding out everything else.  For a woman who thrived off order and self-control, it was nerve wrecking that her emotions weren’t acting the way she planned but she wouldn’t show it. 

Hana raised the bag “Help me eat this burger. It’s massive” she laughed and unlocked the café door.  They split the burger in half and began to eat.

“ Why a burger though? Honestly I didn’t take you as a one of those street food kind of people.” Seung-Hyun said with a smirk. 

“I also like tacos and pizza and fried chicken –particularly when someone else is cooking them.  That sort of thing is quick, tasty and convenient.” She grinned, amused by his reaction.  “Do you have a moral objection to junk food?”.

“No, but I’d think you would since you’re very meticulous about your food presentation.”

“Ah, I’ve shattered your image of a gastronomic snob.” She laughed, a very appealingly, purely feminine sound.  “As a chef, I can tell you that rich sauces and heavy creams aren’t easy on digestion either.  Besides that, I cook professionally. For long periods of time I’m surrounded by the finest of haute cuisine. Delicacies, foods that have to be prepared with absolute perfection.  When I’m not working, I like to relax.” She bit into the burger again.  “I’d prefer a cheeseburger, medium rare, to Filet aux Champignons at the moment” she claimed.

She sighed and looked out the window “At the moment, my body and emotions just won’t listen to me”.

After finishing up his half of the sandwich and Seung-Hyun said “Sometimes rather than fighting those feelings, it’s better to embrace them.  When you cook don’t you let your emotions help you in the process of creating?”

Hana leaned her head against the palm of her hand, “Planning meals and cooking does have a therapeutic effect on me. I’ll try cooking then to help me.”

 He paused for a bit and slowly said “As a kid when I was frustrated and sad I would write lyrics”.

“Lyrics?” Hana asked with a piqued interest.

“When other kids were playing in the playground, I spent most of my time at home by myself.  Since I was young, writing lyrics was one of my only joys.   I would take all my emotions and have it flow onto the pages” Seung-Hyun said and noticed her disbelieving look.

“You sing?!” Hana exclaimed.

He let out a laugh and ran his fingers through his hair.  “Well I’m more into rapping. Is it weird saying that while I’m wearing a pink shirt and a suit?”

At the comment Hana couldn’t suppress a giggle. “It did catch me off guard.  But I can picture you rapping – your voice is rugged and deep.  Also, when we first met, you had a very strong presence and I could already tell you had quite the charisma too”.

Seung-Hyun smirked and said “You can picture me performing?”. He let out a small smile “I sing just for fun.  One of these days I’ll send you a ticket to my show”.

“Make sure to give me front row seats!” she joked and focused on finishing the rest of her burger. As she ate, she missed Seung-Hyun’s smile drop into a serious expression.

“One of these days, I’ll show you…” he whispered as quiet as a breeze. 

 She looked up “What was that?”

“Nothing” he replied and eyed Hana.  “Remember last week we talked about how I was losing my sense of identity the more I worked. Now that my heads clear, I’m able to see that what I do for a living isn’t really a job for me. I don’t see myself as working anymore.  I have you to thank for that change in mind” he said with appreciatively.

“I understand the feeling; we get to do what we love. It really is a privilege.  You don’t’ need to thank me though.  I didn’t change your mentality, I simply helped you remember why you love your job” she said sincerely.

“Really though, let me repay you” he insisted despite Hana’s shaking head.

“No, you’re my customer. I’m only happy to help”.

He put his hand to his heart “I thought we moved beyond the customer-owner relationship – aren’t we friends now?”.

She rolled her eyes playfully “Okay fine, you got me there. As your friend, I’m allowing you to treat me”.

A mischievous grin danced onto his face “Hmmmm, how about I cook you dinner?”. 

“Can you cook?” she joked.

“You will just have to wait and see! I’ll meet you here after you close the café and then we’ll head over to my place" he said with a wide smile.

Unbeknownst to them, a hooded figure had been peaking into the window watching them.  As Seung-Hyun stood up to leave, the figure hurried away out from the alley trying to muffle a fit of laughter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have reached this far into my story....THANK YOU for sticking around!! I think its pretty obvious that I have a serious love for food.  Now onto business - I plan on writing individual stories about all the big bang members. But rather than me deciding who to write about next, I would like for the readers to vote on the next member I should write about.  Place your votes in the comment section below!!! Happy Voting!!!