Ice Coffee, Double Shot Espresso

Cafe

The sound of coffee brewing in the kitchen was the only life in the house.  Through the door arch and to the living room, the doors that opened out to the garden were open.  Hana was sitting on the steps, basking in the morning air as she bit slowly into the blueberry scones her parents had bought her before they left for the airport.  She broke out in laughter as she recalled the cheesy Hawaiian printed shirts her parents wore.  They were overly prepared for their vacation in the Bahamas. 

Hana was happy they were taking a break for themselves.  Her mother and father had very successful careers as doctors and they were able to retire very early.  But they were never the kind of people who liked to stay put – they ended up buying a rundown empty lot in an alley and transformed it into a quaint café.   The café was simply structured and consisted of a small staff; only two other employees besides her parents.  They poured their hearts in the café. Though their shop wasn’t featured in magazines, it was definitely a treasure for the people who stumbled upon it. 

The alarm on her watch indicated that it was 6am – it was time for her to head to the café and prepare.  Hana soaked in the last bit of morning sun and then headed into the house to grab the keys to the Café.  The other two employees who worked with her parents were also on vacation.  While others would find the situation troublesome, Hana was pleased she had the café to herself.  As she walked down the street she couldn’t help but feel excited about what the day had in store.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In front of a mass of screaming girls was one man running for his life.    He was far ahead of them but he could feel his legs about to give out.  He held on to his black duckbill cap and pushed up his sunglasses as he sped around the corner into an alleyway – he needed to hide.  As if his prayers were answered, there in front of him was a small shop in the wall of the alley.  He was taken in by the navy blue wall and the white front door that had the name “Sweet Anne” written above it. 

When he heard the sound of screams approach he upon the door and leaned against the wall away from the window. The mass of girls must have not seen him turn into the alley for they ran past it vigorously.  Relieved the panting man closed his eyes and tried to catch his breath.  The light tinkling of iced water caused him to open his eyes – there in front of him was a small woman offering him water with a stunning face who dressed in T-shirt and slim black jeans. Still short of breathe he was unable to talk so he kindly nodded toward her and accepted the water. 

Hana’s left eyebrow rose- a sign of surprise and interest. This man was her first customer of the day.  Then her lips curved slightly – a sign of pleasure. He definitely knew how to dress- he wore black straight jeans with a black jacket that had well patterned red stripes.  Plump he wasn’t, she observed.  Hard and lean, yes. Balding – no. His hair was short and bleached platinum silver. It was styled well and added to the attractiveness of a cool yet strong face.  A sweep of cheekbones, a firm line of chin.  She liked the look of the former that spoke of strength.  The assessment didn’t take her long – three, perhaps four seconds.  But curved more.

“Please come in,” she stepped back point her arms to the seating area. “It’s very nice of you to stop by. Please have a look around.  If you want anything on the menu just let me know”. She walked behind the counter and continued to finish up some pastries.

The man gratefully sunk into the chair and as he sat there he realized that the inside of the café was like a totally different world from the outside.  Instead of the crowed and noise of the city, he was greeted with soft piano music in this quaint place.  The light along with the yellow walls created a warm atmosphere.  There were only seven wooden tables and chairs for customers, or one could choose the sofas beside the wall.  On the tables, there were napkins in blue, orange and white. 

On the left side of the shop was a wooden shelf with blue paint, on it was cookies, candies and pastries such as Madeleines which are well packed in and stored in baskets.  Also, there were colorful flowers beside the pastries.  On the other side of the store “Sweet Anne” was painted on the wall in blue color.  In front of the wall that customers faced when they walked in the store was a refrigerator made of glasses, lines of beautiful pastries were stored in it.  There were cakes and mousses and pies and tarts, all of them are colorful and well-decorated with chocolate, nuts and fruit, or cream.  There were a cake which was covered with red jam and another had gold leaf on the top.  With the light, every pastry shined in the showcase. 

A sweet aroma creeping from behind the counter surrounded him and the man crossed over to where Hana was.  Standing in front of the pastry display shelf he watched the back facing him. 

Six pastry shells, just touched with gold and moisture, sat on a rack.  One by one Hana filled them to overflowing with what appeared to be some rich white cream.  When the customer glanced at her face he saw a concentration, the seriousness and intensity he might have associated with a brain surgeon.  It should have amused him. Yet somehow, with those delicate slim- hands arranged the cream in mounds, he was fascinated. 

She dipped a fork in a pan and dribbled what he guessed was warmed caramel over the cream. It ran lavishly down the sides and gelled. He doubted that it was humanly possible not to lust after just one taste.  Again, one by one, she scooped up the pastries and placed them in colorful wrappers.  When the last one was arranged, she looked up at her guest and jumped a bit.

“Oh dear, I’m sorry!” she blushed.  “I got so into finishing up the pastries I forgot about your order”. His smile stretched further and even though his eyes were covered by sunglasses she knew he was very amused. 

“Would you like coffee?” she smiled embarrassedly and the line of concentration between her brows disappeared. The intensity that had seemed to darken her irises lightened. 

The silver haired man nodded and glanced at the wrapped pastries.  She followed his gaze and lifted one to him - he happily accepted it “Help yourself, its on the house”.  Biting into the pastry was amazing – the cream was rich and thick and the slightly crumbly vanilla cookie had a hint of lemon.  He wasn’t a man with a particularly active sweet tooth but the flavor of the cream lingered on his tongue.  He eyed the lady in front of him.

Her black hair was pinned up, a concession to the heat and humidity he imagined – though she had the windows open, ignoring the available air-conditioning.  She might be a great chef but she obviously not a neat one.  She had powdered sugar on her apron and bits sprinkled on her face.  Without thinking he reached over and used his thumb to wipe of the sugar on her face. The woman was definitely surprised and the man after realizing what he had just done quickly drew back his hand.

He bent his head down and stuck his hands in his pocket "Sorry, there was something on your face....."

Hana saw him fidget and chuckled "It's alright - i would have never noticed if you had not pointed it out. Thank you, Mr….” she trailed off. 

The man hesitated for a bit “My name is…” 

Suddenly a loud vibrating noise could be heard from the man’s pocket. He picked up his phone “Hello… ah yeah things were a bit hectic outside but I can head out now, I’ll see you at the studio”.  Closing the phone he faced Hana and bowed politely. 

“I better get going, thank you for the sweets – it was amazing, I can’t remember trying anything like it before”. 

Hana grinned “Its my pleasure, stop by again somtime”.  As the man started to head for the door, she ran to give him a black mug.  “Here’s your coffee, it’s on the house too since you’re my first customer for the day”.  The stranger pushed against the door with his back and thanked her as he went out. 

When the white door closed shut, Hana put her hands to her face and felt her face flush – “What a way to start a day” she said to herself with a smile.

As the man got into the back seat of the white car that pulled up to him he told the driver “You finally trimmed your Mohawk”.

 

Peering into the review mirror, the driver ignored the comment and said “You seem happy…what happened?”

 

Pulling off his sunglasses, the silver haired man laughed and looked back at the shop, “She made me an ice coffee, espresso double shot, my favorite”.