Chapter 2

Left behind

 

The rain was heavy as Taeil walked out of the Sinchon subway exit near his job, sighing as he pulled out his umbrella from his backpack. Two highschoolers bumped into him, running and screaming about their hair getting ruined.

 

"Suit yourself when you're too stupid to bring an umbrella," he muttered to himself, rolling his eyes.

 

The staff greeted him as he walked into the big café he worked at between 10am to 3pm.

 

"Ah Taeil-ah, can you take my shift after 3pm today?" his arm got caught, "I finally got a date with the girl I've been writing to on instagram!!" His workmate, Jaehyo, announced excited.

 

Taeil snorted, "Don't you mean the girl you've been stalking on instagram?"

 

"Yah!" Jaehyo slapped his arm, "But pleeease, can't you? Your other part-time isn't starting until 6pm right?"

 

Taeil nodded, "Yeah sure, it should be ok. Have you asked the boss?"

 

"Thank you!!" he hugged Taeil joyfully while Taeil made a face of displeasement, not hugging back at all, "I will tell now! I owe you on this one!"

 

Taeil gave him a smile, Jaehyo was a fun person to work with, even though he was a bit too childish and energetic for Taeil's taste. They had been starting working around the same time at this café, which meant they had been training together to brew coffee, and handle the costumers the correct way. Jaehyo was sort of a casanova and was often scolded for flirting around with the female costumers - still got scolded for this.

 

"The girls like it!" is his favorite line of defence, "We get more costumers because of my face!"

 

Taeil rolled his eyes every time, so did their boss.

 

The day went by as it usually did, with too much caffé latte's being made and colorful bakings served to smiling girls. The shift between 12pm and 3pm were always full of 80% female costumers, in which the boss had decided that all the latte art had to be kittens, flowers and other 'pretty' things - Taeil didn't like pretty things.

 

The shift between 3pm and 6pm were more mixed though. A lot of couples came for a date after school and a lot of buisness people talked about work over a cup of coffee.There was also always those who did their homework or work, tapping on their laptops.

 

Taeil always wondered how the lives of those people were like, were they happy? Were they sad? What were they hiding? Were they, too, only feeling like robo-

 

"Excuse me?"

 

Taeil snapped out of his thoughts and looked up, "Sorry! How may I help you?"

 

The costumer chuckled, "Spacing out are we?"

 

"Sorry."

 

"It's ok," smiled the costumer, "Yah, Jiho what did you want?"

 

"I told you a caffé mocha with that brownie there!"

 

Taeil looked up the see where the other voice came from, and saw a guy with a big 'comme des down'-cap leaning against the wall beside a table by the window.
"Yeah, that's right," the person in front of him sighed, "Um, then what he said, and I'll get a iced americano with that fruitcake over there."

 

Taeil nodded and went to pick out the cakes they'd chosen. "Anything else?"

 

"Ah yes, wait... Jihoon-ah what did you want?" the person in front of him asked with a loud voice again.

 

"s sake, hyung!" Taeil noticed another guy with bright hair sitting down on one of the chairs at the same table.

 

"He said ginger tea, Kyung-ah. When will you start ing memorizing things?" the one leaning against the wall answered.

 

The person in front of him, Kyung, swore under his breath, "Well, you heard him."

 

Taeil nodded and Kyung handed him the money, "I will bring your drinks when they're done."

 

"Ah ok," the one in front of him smiled again and walked of, "Yah give me money now, it cost more than I thought it would!"

 

Taeil saw the guys laugh and teased the guy named Kyung about being a cheapskate.

 

Taeil missed having friends like that, hanging out many times a week and just having a laugh at pointless things. He sighed as he skimmed the milk for the caffé mocha, and looked over to the three guys who were laughing loudly.

 

When their drinks were ready he walked up slowly to their table by the window, careful not to spill anything, or mess up the 'precious' latte art.

 

"Here's your drinks," he said and bowed lightly before he started to pass out the drinks.

 

"Wow, nice pattern you did here," the one in the cap said, and smiled while he took his caffé mocha.

 

Taeil gave him an embarrassed smile and nodded slightly as a thanks. He didn't like talking to people he didn't know. It wasn't like he hated it, he just felt like it was pointless talking to people he didn't know and if they asked questions, he usually answered very short. It had taken him a long time to open up to Woohyun, and even longer to even start talking comfortably to his workmate Jaehyo.

 

He handed the tea for the guy with the bright hair who smiled to him, "Thank you!" he said with a dark voice and gave Taeil a little wink.

 

Taeil frowed at that, slightly taken aback.

 

The guy called Kyung took his iced americano from the plate and giggled, "Jihoon here thinks you're cute."

 

Taeil looked at him with big eyes, then back to the blonde guy.
What the ?

 

"What's you name?" the blonde asked.

 

Taeil didn't really know how to handle this situation, he was feeling confused and uncomfortable, so he decided to just leave.

 

"Enjoy your drinks," he said and went back to he counter.

 

Taeil felt the three guys watch him during their whole stay. He hated being stared upon and tried hard to focus on everything else, luckily it came a lot of costumers, which Taeil was really thankful for. Once in a while though he took a glance towards the window table and he saw the three of them sitting down with blocks and pencils, discussing lively about something with serious faces. Not that he was interested, but he wanted to know what they were writing about.

 

Hours went by and the clock turned 6pm. Taeil streched his back and neck before he took off his black vest with the café's name on it and headed back to the staff room. He took on his oversized jacket, followed by his black beanie and folded his now dried umbrella, putting it inside his bag, thinking about what he should buy for dinner.

 

He waved goodbye to his workmates as he walked out in the café again and whished them a good evening.

 

"See you tomorow, Taeil-oppa!" one of his female workmate waved back to him.

 

He shot a glance towards the window table to see if the three guys were still there, but regretted it when he noticed that all of them were looking back at him.

 

"Are you going already?" the blonde haired one, who thought he'd looked cute, asked.

 

Taeil gave him a nervous smile and bowed slightly as a 'goodbye' and hurried out of the café.

 

Once he was out he took a deep breath before continuing walking.
Why are they talking so much? he thought, A costumer should only talk to the workers when they order and never after again aaahhh... he scratched his head.

 

"Hey, wait!"

 

Taeil froze and cursed a million times, Seriously...
He turned around and saw the one of the three guys who had ordered from him.

 

"We're going to eat ramen now before going home, and Jihoonie wants you to join," he smirked at him.

 

Taeil frowned at him and saw the other two guys coming out from the café, walking towards their friend.

 

"Come on, we're not dangerous!"

 

Taeil doubted that, this kind of senario only happened to people who ended up getting .

 

The guy took a few step forward and held out his hand, "My name is Park Kyung by the way," he smiled to him, "and that's Woo Jiho with the cap, and Pyo Jihoon," he poined back to his friends.

 

Taeil looked at them with raised eyebrows and took Park Kyung's hand and shook it without much interest.

 

Kyung laughed, "Usually you say your own name when others introduce theirs."

 

The other two guys had catched up on Kyung and was now both smiling down at him, Taeil felt both nervous and irritated, what did they want anyway?

 

"What's your name?" Pyo Jihoon asked him.

 

Taeil cursed once again, "I'm Lee Taeil."

 

"Wow, he said it!" Woo Jiho giggled and hit Jihoon with delight.

 

"Hi, Lee Taeil," Kyung said to him, "So, do you want to join us?"

 

Taeil sighed, "No, I have to go home," he said and turned to walk away.

 

"Aww come on! We're not going to murder you!" Jiho said and took hold of Taeil's arm.

 

Anger took over as he yanked his arm away from the other guy's grip, "I already said no! Why do you all keep talking to me? Just go!"

 

The three guys raised their eyebrows, "Hey, no need to get mad."

 

Taeil sighed, "Goodbye," he turned around and started walking.

 

He knew he was being a little y, but who asked someone they never met before out for ramen after they'd said they looked cute? Rapists, kidnappers, murderers and robbers did, no one else.

 

He still cursed at the three guys while he was grocery shopping, still irritated about everything that in the end he forgot to buy half of the groceries he was suppossed to buy.



----------------------------------------

A/N: thank you for subscribing and thanks for the comments, it warms my heart♥ (that sounded cheesy..)