The Horror in Cravings

Prequel Set - Uri Sarang Bit (Our Love Light)

Prequel Set 4 - The Horror in Cravings

Month: 5
Week: 20


How was she supposed to tell her husband of her sudden cravings for goguma ice cream? Not the ordinary kind which could be purchased in any alleys or streets in Seoul, but like the kind which she had in Japan in one of the filmings she and him had during their 'We Got Married' days.

Just thinking of the taste and coolness of the goguma ice cream made Seohyun's mouth watered. It was difficult to erase the thought away from her mind. The more she tried to brush that thought away, the more the cravings were attacking her taste buds. Aigoo! Even her baby was feeling upset for not getting the goguma ice cream as he or she kept attacking her with furious kicks.

"Don't worry darling, omma will get the goguma ice cream for you soon." Seohyun whispered to her baby, whilst her stomach tenderly. "It might not be the same but I'll make sure that it'll satisfy both of our cravings."

Seohyun gave a long sigh before dozing off for an afternoon nap, in hope that the cravings would soon be forgotten.

*****

"Hyun-ah, wake up! I have a surprise for you..."

Seohyun woke up to Yonghwa's ticklish whisperings in her ear. She lifted an eye open and smiled lazily. Yonghwa grinned before trailing soft kisses on her ear, down to her neck.

"Stop it yeobo!" Seohyun giggled, trying to push him off her. But Yonghwa curled himself behind Seohyun and hugging her tight, burrying his face into her thick hair. Seohyun sighed as she started to feel that familiar tugging in . 'Goguma ice cream...' Seohyun thought sadly.

"Did you hear me?" Yonghwa's question brought Seohyun back to reality. She could feel her husband's hand caressing her stomach.

"Ah, ne?"

"I have a surprise for you." Yonghwa said again, sitting himself up on the bed.

"Surprise? What is it?" Seohyun asked as she made herself to sit on the bed as well.

Yonghwa grinned as he placed his hands into his pocket of his shirt and pulled out a pair of plane tickets. He laid the tickets out in front of her. "Ja-jannn! Open tickets for a round trip to Japan and back! Just the both of us! Anytime!" Yonghwa told her, grinning madly.

Seohyun did not know what just gotten into her. The moment she heard the word 'Japan' coming out of her husband's mouth, Seohyun immediately stood up from her bed and started looking for her luggage. Yonghwa gave her a strange look as he watched her stuffing clothes inside the luggage.

"Jagi-ya?" Yonghwa had said. "What are you doing?"

"Packing." Seohyun answered, smiling with that familiar twinkling in her eyes.

"Packing?"

"Yes! We're going to Japan right?"

"Yes, but but not so soon right?" Yonghwa started scratching his head in confusion.

"AH? WHY NOT?" Seohyun suddenly screamed, staring at Yonghwa in horror. Yonghwa, on the other hand, froze. He did not expect Seohyun to scream like that. And the best thing was, that was her first scream, towards him.

"I-I-I thought of keeping the tickets until after the baby's born." Yonghwa said quickly.

"Andwae." Seohyun stood, with her hands folded across her chest. Her eyes turned to slits as she glared at Yonghwa. "I want to go to Japan by tonight."

"Tonight? But that's impossible Hyun." Yonghwa told her. "Tonight is definitely too late."

Yonghwa expected Seohyun to answer back with whatever answers she could throw back at him. But what she did next was something he had never thought she would do. Seohyun sat down on the floor and started to cry hysterically like a spoilt child who was throwing tantrums when she did not get what she wanted. Yonghwa was stunned. He seriously did not expect that.

"Seohyun-ah..." Yonghwa kneeled down in front of Seohyun. His hands grasping her shoulders but Seohyun shook them off roughly. She stared at Yonghwa with her tear-strained eyes. Yonghwa could feel his heart broke upon seeing those eyes.

"I want to go to Japan tonight." Seohyun whispered, her voice thick with emotion. Hiccups were clearly audible behind her whispers.

"But, but..."

"I have to go to Japan tonight." Seohyun said behind gritted teeth. She knew she was getting angry. 'What the hell is wrong with me? Why am I acting like this?' Seohyun asked herself. It was as if she had lost her ability to control her emotions.

"Okay, calm down Seohyun-ah. It's not that we can't go to Japan tonight, but see, I have an appointment tomorrow with a new recording artiste from FNC who's going to be singing a song I've composed." Yonghwa started explaining slowly. He was trying to be careful in choosing the correct words.

"Then cancel it." Seohyun replied stubbornly.

Yonghwa shook his head. "It's not that I can't do it, I could, but there's something else." Yonghwa took a deep breath before continuing, "Isn't it risky for pregnant women to take flights? We need to consult with Doctor Kim first. And right now, we don't have the time."

"I already did! She said I'm perfectly fine to travel in flights!" Seohyun told him excitedly, as she wiped her eyes off from the tearings.

"Eyyy. Don't lie to me Seo Joohyun." Yonghwa frowned at her at the same time grinning. He really thought she was joking.

"Aish sinchia!" Seohyun got up and walked over to her dressing table and pulled out a document from the drawer. She then passed it to Yonghwa. His eyes scanned the document quickly.

"When did you get this? When did you consult Doctor Kim? How come I was not aware of it?" Yonghwa started asking. He was getting very confused.

"Um, ever since I started having that cravings." Seohyun whispered again, this time she avoided looking into Yonghwa's eyes.

"Cravings? What cravings?"

"I-I have been craving for that goguma ice cream since the past week." Seohyun started sobbing again. "The one we had in Japan last time!"

Yonghwa quickly struggled up to his feet and pulled Seohyun into his embrace. "Sssh, Hyun-ah, don't cry darling." Yonghwa could not bear to see the tears in her eyes. It just hurt him so much. "Why didn't you tell me about your cravings? So that's why you wanted to go Japan so much."

"I-I did not wa~nt to bother you over these minor things." Seohyun whined, her lips pouting.

"Oh darling, you know I would do anything for you and our baby." Yonghwa bent down to place a kiss on Seohyun's damp lips.

"Sinchia? Then take me to Japan now." Seohyun pleaded, stamping her feet lightly on the floor.

Yonghwa smiled uncertainly but nonetheless gave her an encouraging hug. "Ahrasso. I'll see what I can do. But I can't promise you that we could get the flight by tonight."

Seohyun nodded. Her eyes getting brighter upon hearing Yonghwa's words. She watched as her husband made a dial on his cell phone to whoever it might be. His face turned serious when he talked to someone about flight tickets to Japan and of his appointment cancellation for the next day. A few minutes later, Yonghwa walked over to her before saying, "Pack our luggage. We're going to Japan tonight!"

*****

Seohyun smiled. She could feel herself rising from her sleep. She had a dream. A funny dream indeed. Funny yet wonderful at the same time. She dreamt that she was married to Jung Yonghwa and that they were expecting their first child. And she had cravings. The rich cravings of wanting to eat goguma ice cream. That cool and sweet goguma ice cream. She could imagine the taste of it on her tongue, in ...

"Goguma ice cream..." Seohyun allowed those words to roll out of her tongue.

"Hyun-ah, wake up." Seohyun could hear that familiar voice again, that husky and y voice. "We're reaching soon. Open your eyes. Aigoo! You're even dreaming of goguma ice cream!"

Seohyun opened her eyes slowly. It was bright. For a moment there, she closed her eyes once more before opening them again. There it was, the silhouette of a man, sitting beside her whilst looking at her. She could tell he was smiling.

Seohyun quickly rubbed the sleep from her eyes and sat up straight. She looked at the man again. This time, he had tilt her head up towards him and planted a long kiss on her lips.

"Good morning sleepy head!" Yonghwa whispered as he pulled back from the morning kiss.

Seohyun realised that the man was Yonghwa, her husband! "G-Good morning!" Seohyun stammered, smiling nervously.

"Aigoo! You were really tired. Sorry to make you wait so long for the flight." Yonghwa caressed her cheeks lovingly.

Seohyun took a look around her. She was indeed sitting on a plane. Seohyun gulped nervously. Was it what she thought it was? Was she dreaming in the first place? Or was she not?

"A-ani. Are-are we reaching Japan soon?" Seohyun's voice trembled as she asked.

"Yes darling. We're almost there." Yonghwa nodded.

Seohyun gasped. So it wasn't a dream! Her hands immediately flew down to her stomach. There it was, the baby bump. So it really wasn't a dream after all! She did made all the ruckus just to go to Japan to get her goguma ice cream!

"Ah wae Hyun-ah? The baby kicked again?" Yonghwa asked, his voice in panic mode.

"Ah? Ani, ani. It's nothing." Seohyun immediately calmed him down.

"Love, let's eat some breakfast first once we land. I'm hungry." Yonghwa pouted causing Seohyun to giggle.

"Ahrasso yeobo. I'm hungry too." Seohyun said.

"Yeah! Japan here we come!"

*****


It was almost 10 a.m, in the morning. Yonghwa and Seohyun had just finished with their breakfast and were currently waiting for the next bus to direct them to Kawagoe where they had been previously, a few years ago.

Seohyun smiled excitedly. She just couldn't wait to get her goguma ice cream. Yonghwa on the other hand was feeling a bit tired and was yawning constantly. It had been a long night for him, with all the arguments about the Japan flight tickets with a few airport personnels and all the explanations and excuses he had to come out with to postpone his meeting with FNC. And all those things he did in the name of love, his love for his dear wife, Seo Joohyun.

They boarded the bus a few minutes later. The moment they had settled down in their seats, Yonghwa immediately gave in to sleep. Seohyun wasn't feeling tired, so she decided to allow herself and her baby to listen to her favourite piano piece, Pathetique, via her MP3 while looking out the window of the bus and watched the streets of Tokyo passed by. It was a long journey, very long indeed.

*****

Two and a half hours later, Seohyun and Yonghwa found themselves standing in front of the ice cream store. Seohyun felt her heart thumping wildly. 'This is it! My darling, this is it!' Seohyun's heart chanted over and over again to the baby in her womb. This was what she came to Japan for!

"Two sweet potatoes ice cream please." Yonghwa told the store vendor who nodded.

Seohyun grinned, feeling more excited than ever. Finally the ice cream cone was passed to her. Seohyun admired the twirls of the ice cream on the cone. It looked pretty, soft and snowy. The smell of goguma reached her nose and she sighed out loud. She was overwhelmed. Tears started to fill her eyes again as she continued to stare at the ice cream.

"Hyun-ah, what happened?" Yonghwa asked gazing at Seohyun thoughtfully.

"I'm just so happy to have this." Seohyun told him. "It's goguma ice cream."

Yonghwa gave a chuckle. "Eat it quick. Or else it'll melt just like the last time."

Seohyun nodded. She brought the ice cream close towards her lips. She closed her eyes as she gave the ice cream a taste. Yonghwa grinned as he watched his wife started to eat the ice cream but he was suddenly stunned when he heard Seohyun scowling. Then he watched in horror as Seohyun stamped her feet and straight away walked towards a nearby dustbin and threw the ice cream away.

Yonghwa ran after her, his own ice cream dripping slowly down his hands. But he did not care. He needed to find out why Seohyun was acting that way.

"What happen Joohyun-ah? Is there something wrong with the ice cream? Isn't that what you craved for?" Yonghwa asked simultaneously. His ice cream now long forgotten.

"It's not it! It's just not it!" Seohyun started crying for the second time that day. Yonghwa was suddenly lost for words. "It tasted horrible! It's not it!"

"Wh-why?" Yonghwa stammered, literally confused with his wife's fickle-mindedness. Then he noticed his half-melted ice cream and threw it away as well.

"I want to go home yeobo, I want to go home." Seohyun cried, leaning into his chest for comfort.

Yonghwa pulled her close, hugging her tight. He was confused, unable to define the reason for Seohyun's behaviour change. Wasn't she the one who really wanted to go to Japan just to get her goguma ice cream? Wasn't that what she had been craving for the past week? Yonghwa sighed. He was really lost.

A couple of hours later, Yonghwa led Seohyun to a hotel to rest. She looked tired and restless. She went to sleep with tear-strained face which made Yonghwa's heart hurt a little. He watched her sleep before making his way to the balcony of his hotel room to think. He sighed as he pulled out his cell phone, searching for that one person's number whom he thought could give him the answer to all this confusion that he was facing.

"Yeobosaeyo?" A female voice answered. Yonghwa heaved a sigh of relief.

"Taeyeon-ssi?" Yonghwa asked to make sure.

"Ne. May I know who's speaking?"

"It's me, Jung Yonghwa, Seohyun's husband."

"Aigoo! Yong seobang!" Taeyeon squealed, before tuning her voice to serious mode. "Did something happen to Hyunnie? Is she okay?"

"Ani, she's fine. We're in Japan now."

"Japan? Wah! I envy you guys!" Taeyeon sighed. "I can't even think of having a holiday. As you know, I'm tied down with the twins, a professional swimming coach for a husband and my busy schedule, there's no way I can get a free time to myself."

Yonghwa laughed at Teayeon's complains. "Why don't you plan out with Taehwan to go for a second honeymoon, without the kids of course."

"I can't do that! The kids need me!" Taeyeon chuckled happily.

"Anyway, as you know, we're in Japan right now. Um, we're here to satisfy Seohyun's cravings." Yonghwa said nervously. He seriously was not sure on how to explain the situation properly to Taeyeon.

"Ah! I see." Taeyeon nodded. "And what did she craved for?"

"Goguma ice cream."

"Goguma ice cream?"

"Ne." Yonghwa shrugged.

"So have you gotten it for her?" Taeyeon asked.

"Yes, I did. But the moment she tasted the ice cream, she hated it and threw it away. The next minute I knew, she was sobbing hard and told me that she wanted to go home. I am really confused. I don't know what to do." Yonghwa sighed. "Is this normal?"

"I do pity you Yonghwa-ssi." Taeyeon said as she held back her laughter. "Let me explain to you. Pregnant women are very different. The changes in their hormones may cause them to be more sensitive. You could expect behaviour changes as well. Like at first she'd say she want something, but once she got hold of it, she wouldn't want it already."

"Ah! Now I remember. She was acting almost like a kid. I had a hard time trying to coax her."

"Yonghwa-ya, pregnant woman do whine a lot. So what you can do is, just be patient and try your best to understand her. It may be hard but I'm sure you can do it." Taeyeon said, her voice assuring. "You are lucky Yonghwa, that the only thing she did was just whine and cries. I was um even worst."

"Even worst? What do you mean?" Yonghwa was getting curious. What did Park Taehwan had to go through during Taeyeon's pregnancy? Was it the same thing like what he was having right now?

"I was a bad pregnant wife at that time. I had a lot of complains. I was craving for a lot of things. Things which are damn difficult to find." Taeyeon sighed. "I even accused my husband of having an affair with one of the swimmers he was training. I was very bad."

Yonghwa fell silent upon hearing Taeyeon's confession. Suddenly, he felt thankful that Seohyun was not acting that way and he hoped she would not be acting that way anytime soon until she had safely given birth.

"Well, for that, I do pity Taehwan. He must have suffered a lot." Yonghwa said.

"You bet he did. But he's a very patient man, very patient. I'm lucky to have him as a husband." Taeyeon smiled.

"So what should I do as a husband other than just being patient?" Yonghwa asked.

"There's a lot of things you can do Yonghwa. You could always spend time with her, so that you'll know what she wants. And in return she'll feel the love from you. She just want more of your attention. Do something which would touch her heart. By doing that, she'll feel that you are sharing her burden."

"Ahrasso. I will try to do that. Thanks for talking and sharing about this stuff with me. I was really lost in the first place. But your advice made it better." Yonghwa said, his voice sounding a little brighter.

"No worries. I am always ready to help." Taeyeon smiled. "Anyway, where is Hyun now?"

"She's sleeping now. She had a rough day." Yonghwa told her. "I'm going to let her rest for a while."

"Yes, you should. And make sure you are by her side when she wakes up." Taeyeon reminded him.

"Ahrasso. Of course I will do that." Yonghwa smirked. "Anyway, I got to go now. I need to see how she's doing."

"Okay then, if there is anymore problems, feel free to beep me. I'm glad to be of help."

"Thanks Taeyeon. Thank you so much. Please send my regards to Taehwan. I'll bring Hyun to see you soon once we come back from Japan.

"Okay, bye Yo~ng!"

Yonghwa smiled as he placed his cell phone into his pocket. He was feeling better indeed. The worry in his head was gone. He could do this. 'Fighting!' Yonghwa cheered for himself before going back into the hotel room to join his wife in bed.

*****

It was about six in the morning when Seohyun was suddenly awakened by the sound of humming. Yonghwa was humming her most favourite song, while making himself a cup of coffee. Her favourite song, the song which describes her, Love Light. Seohyun stood up and quietly walked towards him, without making a sound. She then proceeded to give him a back hug, which caused him to immediately stop his humming.

"I'm sorry." Seohyun whispered, her face buried into his back.

Yonghwa smiled. "It's okay darling. I understand." Yonghwa said, his voice soothing.

"I shouldn't have forced you to come to Japan."

Seohyun had her hands on Yonghwa's stomach and Yonghwa proceeded to place his hands on top of hers. "Don't worry love. We could still enjoy ourselves here right?"

Seohyun sighed before smiling. "I guess you're right. We still could."

Yonghwa turned around to face her. His smile widened to see her freshly-awakened-from-sleep face. "You're cute you know that?"

"Ah, sinchia! You're teasing me again!" Seohyun pouted.

Yonghwa leaned forward, the tip of his nose brushing against Seohyun's ears. "I love you." Yonghwa whispered.

Seohyun chuckled shyly. "I love you too." She whispered earning her a kiss on her cheek, her nose and finally one long, passionate one on the lips.

"And I love her too." Yonghwa whispered again, placing his hands on her bulging stomach.

"Why do you keep thinking she's a her? Who knows he's a he?" Seohyun asked, amused.

"I just know. My daughter and I have a special telepathy." Yonghwa told her before bending down and proceeded to talk to her stomach, "Don't we darling?"

"Aigoo! You're conceited!" Seohyun laughed, patting Yonghwa's head lightly.

"Now, I want you to get ready, we're going out later." Yonghwa said as he led her to the toilet.

"Out? Where?" Seohyun asked, her eyes full of wonder.

"Breakfast first and then, to a special place."

"Hm... Ahrasso." Seohyun shrugged before nodding and headed for a shower.

*****

It was after breakfast when Yonghwa reminded Seohyun that they were going to a special place. Seohyun was of course feeling very excited. She kept on asking her husband where they were going and he kept telling her that it was a secret.

"This route seems familiar." Seohyun voiced out, as she keep a look out for her husband's reaction.

Yonghwa just smiled and held her hand tight, gesturing for her to keep on walking. Seohyun shrugged and followed quietly. Her eyes were scanning the surroundings wildly. It felt as if she had been there before, but she just could not seem to remember when and where.

"Just walk on. If we do, a very nice place will appear." Yonghwa told her, grinning.

"Hm, I feel as if I heard those words from you before." Seohyun mumbled, pouting cutely. Yonghwa laughed upon seeing the pout.

"We're almost there."

Then suddenly, Seohyun remembered. The memory crept slowly to her mind. It was the place where they had written their well-wishes for each other's success in Japan. The place which strengthened their relationship as a couple.

"Ommo!" Seohyun gasped the moment they entered the temple. "You still remember this?"

"Of course love. Whatever I did with you and wherever I went with you, I will surely remember it." Yonghwa grinned.

"Yeobo-ya, do you think our wooden message board still exist?" Seohyun asked excitedly, pulling at her husband's hand.

"Hm, I'm not too sure. There might be people who might have come and take it away."

"Eyyy. They are not that bad."

Yonghwa laughed. "Besides, I have forgotten where we put it and it seems the wooden boards have multiplied over the years! Look!" Sure enough, there were countless wooden boards. Hundreds, maybe millions of them! "Let's write another one." Yonghwa suggested.

"Another one?"

"Ne. Let's choose another board with a different meaning then."

"Ahrasso." Seohyun nodded, agreeing to Yonghwa's idea. So they walked hand in hand towards the counter booth to purchase another wooden board. Again this time, Seohyun was attracted by the same wooden board with a picture of a flower on it.

"This is for married couples who are going to have a baby and hopes for an easy birth or delivery." The man at the counter explained to them in Japanese.

Seohyun smiled gratefully at the man and pointed to her stomach. The man nodded, understanding. Yonghwa, on the other hand, just grinned.

"You wanted it ever since you saw it the last time right?" Yonghwa asked when they found a shady place to sit and write.

"Right. This attracts me the most." Seohyun said. "I wanted to choose it that time, but the message was inapproprite for us before. But now, it's suitable enough!"

"You're right." Yonghwa held Seohyun close and placed a kiss on her cheek.

"Hm, this time, I'll write first shall I?" Seohyun asked, her eyes glittering whilst looking at Yonghwa.

"Okay. Write it quick." Yonghwa grinned.

'My dearest baby...

You enter this world to complete our lives,

our soul, our hearts, our love, our dream.

You're the most precious thing God has ever created for us.

You exist because of our love, our bond, our trust for each other.

We will patiently wait for your arrival, sweetheart.

Omma and Appa love you very, very much!'

- Seo Joohyun

 

"Okay, done." Seohyun said, passing the wooden board to Yonghwa, before wiping the tears which were threatening to come out from her eyes. Yonghwa smiled.

 

'Annyong my baby!

How are you feeling today? I hope you are doing fine there.

Omma's been crying a lot recently and Appa is having a hard time consoling her.

Please come out fast! Kekeke!

I can't wait for you to be born. I can't wait to hold you, love you and sing to you.

I have a song ready for you too! So hurry and come!

And, your CNBlue uncles are nuisance, so do not love them too much. :)

I love you first.

-Jung Yonghwa

 

Seohyun took a peek at her husband's writings. Seohyun smirked, shaking her head. "Aigoo! You're terrible, Jung Yonghwa."

"What? She'll understand what I am trying to say." Yonghwa told her, grinning, as he tried to hang the wooden board up.

Seohyun laughed hard. But she admitted to herself that Yonghwa's message for their baby was indeed very cute.

Once the wooden board was safely hung, Seohyun and Yonghwa walked out of the temple, hand in hand again, laughing over some memories which they had created over the years. Indeed, the moment they stepped out of the temple, after writing messages on the wooden boards, they could feel their relationship growing even stronger. Deeply in their hearts, they wished for an everlasting happiness for their marriage, for their love and for their future.

*****

Two days later.

A couple was seen walking slowly out of the arrival gate at Seoul Incheon Airport. The man was looking handsome as usual, whereas the woman was looking beautiful and radiant as ever. The man had his left arm wrapped around the woman's waist whereas his other arm was coolly pushing the luggage trolley. Once in a while, the woman would her stomach tenderly, and would often look at the man's direction to smile at him. They clearly looked very happy and content.

"Are you tired Hy~un?" Yonghwa asked, looking at his wife.

"Ne. A bit." Seohyun smiled.

Yonghwa grinned. "Okay, let's go home."

Seohyun nodded. She did feel tired. She really wanted to go home. But there was something wrong somewhere. felt funny. It could not be the morning sickness again, as it had ended a long time ago. There it was again, that strong desire to have something really badly. Seohyun frowned.

Yonghwa noticed the change in Seohyun's expression. She was not smiling like she did earlier. There was something familiar in that look of hers that he could not seem to grasp.

Then, there was that smell. The smell which she used to hate before she had gotten pregnant. But now that smell was irresisting sweet to her. She closed her eyes, trying to sniff in the air for more of that smell, the aroma of meat being grilled, fried or even barbequed. She wanted that. She craved for that. She would make sure she got that.

"Jagi-ya? Are you okay?" Yonghwa asked, concern in his eyes.

"Ne, kwenchana." Seohyun answered. She was currently debating with her inner self whether to voice it to Yonghwa or not.

"Okay then, let's go." Yonghwa grasped Seohyun's hand to pull her along with him but was unable to as she pulled him back. She was looking at him with an apologetic look. Yonghwa looked back at her, confused.

"Yeobo-ya," Seohyun said, gulping nervously. "I'm craving for a hamburger."

"Bo?!" Yonghwa thought he had fainted.

  

*To those who subscribed to this story, thank you so much! You guys rock my world!:)*

*Chapter 5 will be up tomorrow!*