Realization

There's No One Like YOU

As the first rays of light fluttered into the soundless room, Eunsung stirred from her sleep, frowning, then scrunching her eyes several times to adjust to the brightness. Not fully focused yet, she forgot that she was not the only one in the room (more specifically, the bed) and moved closer to her source of warmth which she believed to be her blankets and wrapped her arms around it. What was odd, however, was the smell of mint that seemed to linger on her blankets - she was certain that they usually smelt of fresh linen. Feeling something amiss, she slowly retreated backwards and tilted her head upwards; her view gradually becoming clearer until she could see a sleeping Sehun.

When the girl realised how she had mistakened his chest for her blankets, a blush formed on her cheeks but that did nothing to avert her gaze from the boy. Sehun looked so at ease and content while sleeping - the way he clutched the blanket which was only halfway covering his body; the way there were no worrylines on his forehead which was covered by strands of brown hair instead - he almost looked like a child. His skin was a pale glow under the sunlight and his lips were parted to let out small breaths.

Eunsung stared at the person beside her and smiled. There was nothing more fulfilling than to see Sehun like this; it was something that only she was able to see, no-one else, and that was one of the greatest things in the world - to see the person you love before you fell asleep and the first person to see again when you woke up (and partly because no-one else could see this side of Sehun).

She stopped thinking about this when she saw Sehun furrow his eyebrows in his sleep. On instinct, she reached out her hand and used her finger to trace his eyebrow reassuringly, hoping to comfort him in some way. She wondered if he was dreaming about his parents - although Sehun hadn't said a word to her about them since they visited the grave, she knew that he had thought about them on a regular basis. It was clear in the way the boy's gaze lingered a little too long on the bowl of food Eunsung's mum had dished out for him that he missed his mother's cooking; the way the boy stopped when Eunsung's dad pat him on the back that he longed to have his father praise him for his achievements. Eunsung made a mental note to pay a visit to Sehun's late parents soon.

Once that was done, the girl unconsciously used her finger to trace the rest of his face: starting at his eyebrows, then his nose, ending up at his defined and sharp jawline. Without realising, her gaze landed on his lips that were pink and seemingly a little dry - she suddenly had this strange urge to touch them. Just as her fingers were about to touch that soft skin, she was caught offguard by an abrupt pressure wrapped around her wrist. She looked at the owner of the hand whose eyes were still shut, causing her to sigh in relief that he hadn't caught her redhanded because honestly she wasn't aware of what she was doing either.

"You like to mess with sleeping people huh?"

Like all other mornings, Sehun didn't like being woken up whether it was by the sunlight or his alarm clock - but being woken up by light feathery touches on his face was something different. This, he could get used to. When he was having an awful dream of his parents, he felt something calm him down (almost like a pat on the back) and that made him stop struggling. He was awake then but before he had the chance to open his eyes - he felt something soft touch his eyebrows. It was undoubtedly Eunsung - he recognised her touch. Wanting to know what the girl would do, he pretended to be asleep and bit by bit as she traced his facial features, his resolve slowly crumbled and when she was about to touch his lips, he couldn't pretend anymore.

He opened his eyes to look at the culprit who look flustered, "W-what?" He knew that she would never admit to doing it so Sehun just watched in amusement as he saw the girl's eyes dart from the left to the right before she came to a sudden realisation, "Wait, you were awake all this time?" The boy smirked while Eunsung blushed. How embarrassing...

A chuckle escaped Sehun's lips before the latter used his hand to cover his mouth although his crescent eyes were still visible. Eunsung stopped and looked at him, staring in awe at how such a beautiful sound could exist. Mistaking that, Sehun thought she was staring at him in disbelief that he was laughing at her and drew her close, feeling that he had enough already (and he wanted to have her close). Yes, having her in his arms felt so right.

"Sehun?" the girl whispered in confusion, her warm breath brushing against the boy's neck as her head was in the junction between the boy's head and shoulder. Sehun shivered slightly before pulling her tighter into his embrace, never wanting to let go. This moment was perfect and it was theirs to have.

"Let's just stay like this for a while, alright?" he murmured. Eunsung went quiet after that and relaxed in his hold, shifting so that she could rest on his chest comfortably. And just like that, they shared a perfect morning.

 

On the way to school, the sun was shining brightly although there were clouds threatening to cover its light. Eunsung looked up at the sky and smiled because the weather certainly did reflect her mood at this moment. Being with Sehun made her happy, yesterday and today had definitely been clear proof of that - he resembled the sun in her sky and the clouds were the other obstacles she had to face everyday but as long as she had him, everything else was insignificant.

Sehun noticed the girl had stopped in her tracks and asked curiously, "What are you thinking of?"

Eunsung shook her head before returning to the latter's side, "Just... today's gonna be a good day." Sehun arched his eyebrow quizzically but accepted it anyway and took the girl's hand to intertwine their fingers. Eunsung looked down at their linked fingers and then at Sehun, who was staring straight ahead as if he didn't initiate anything. Typical Oh Sehun. He always did things and then looked away before people got the chance to praise or thank him (and in this case, stare at him). Deciding to give something in return, Eunsung swung their connected hands back and forth playfully while smiling and when Sehun peered over to see what the girl was doing, he made a small sound like blowing air out through his nose, similar to a laugh.

After the many months of knowing her, he knew that Han Eunsung was someone who was true to her words; had always hid her fears afraid that someone would find out how vulnerable she was and had grown up too fast for a regular teenager as she had no parents to be there to guide her through the stages of growing up. Seeing her like this reminded him of how she was still a child at heart even though she had learned to fend for herself in this cruel world where no-one was willing to offer a helping hand and despite that fact, she didn't live selfishly - she was willing to help others in need even though there had been no-one for her. And that was one of the many reasons why he loved her - Sehun was sure that he wanted to be that person that was always there for her.

When they were outside the science building (after the many protests of Eunsung saying that the boy would be late for his own class), they let go of each other's hands reluctantly causing Eunsung to frown at the loss of contact. As if Sehun read her thoughts, he leaned his head forward and pressed his lips onto the girl's own lips briefly, for he feared he would not be able to leave if it was for any longer, before pulling back.

And yes, he could feel those sparks just like the first time he had kissed her.

 

During registration, Zelo came in halfway through the register bowing in apology to the teacher for being late. Eunsung sat up straight when she saw the boy - she sighed in relief that he was okay but somehow he didn't look the same as usual. He had massive eyebags underneath his tired eyes,  a clear indication of his inability to sleep; his skin was paler than normal, almost as if he had been unwell for a few days; his hair was tousled and his fringe was draped across his forehead.

Miss Chae nodded at him to take his seat before continuing to call names. As Zelo sat down in his seat, Eunsung couldn't help but worry about the boy - whatever was bothering him must've been important because it had taken a drastic effect on him. It also seemed like Zelo was avoiding the girl because whenever she looked in his direction, he pretended not to see her and whenever she asked him something, he would only reply with short answers. But with anyone else, he seemed fine. And that hurt.

During breaktime, Eunsung was determined to talk to the boy and question why he was avoiding her but before she got the chance to even look at him, he had already sprung up from his seat and made a hasty exit through the doors. Eunsung knitted her eyebrows together before following right after him. Once in the corridor, she arched her head to get a glimpse of tousled hair through the small crowds of students and caught sight of it just before the owner disappeared through a set of doors.

Running towards it, fearing that she would lose track of him, she pushed open the doors to find Zelo sitting on the stairs. Upon the intrusion, he glanced up and his eyes widened before he mumbled, "Eunsung? Why are you here?"

"You seemed upset about something and you're mad with me, even though you said you weren't last time..." the girl bit her lip, trying to find the right words, "I'm here for you Zelo, just know that okay?"

"I'm not mad with you... why would you..?"

"You're avoiding me," she stated as if that was the only thing she was sure of. Zelo inwardly sighed - while he was trying to find ways to spend less time with the girl in hopes that his feelings would go away, it only made things worse. For one, by doing this he was hurting the girl and two, yes seeing her with another guy hurt but not seeing her at all hurt even more. As the days passed, he wondered if he could even hold onto the remnants of their friendship without crossing any boundaries.

He knew that the girl would only continue believing he was mad at her if he didn't tell her otherwise, "Actually, it's this person I like..." Eunsung widened her eyes when she heard what he said - this was so unexpected out of all the things he could've been worrying about.

"Why didn't you say so? I honestly thought I had done something wrong," the girl said softly as she sat down beside the boy who immediately tensed. He could smell the strawberry shampoo she used on her hair and he longed to reach out to touch it but he held himself back.

"Tell me about this person," Eunsung prompted, tilting her head to listen.

Zelo looked at his hands before answering, "She's one of my closest friends, she's always there whenever I'm feeling down even when the circumstances are odd, she's friendly and her presence is just so comforting.... she's a lot like you."

Eunsung nodded taking in what he had just said, completely oblivious, "Then why don't you tell her?"

"She already has someone," Zelo smiles weakly, "And telling her would ruin our friendship."

"Oh..." the girl frowned, finally understanding the boy's inner dilemma, "Maybe you should talk to her about it..."

"I can't," Zelo croaks out - he hates this awful situation he's been placed in: talking about his feelings to the person he can't have, it almost feels like he's being mocked. Eunsung hears the weakness in his voice, as if he's about to crumble and she instantly pulls the boy into a hug, patting his back in attempts to calm him down. Perhaps in that moment, Eunsung should've pulled away because for a brief second, Zelo wondered if he could win her love and affection. How different things would be if she was with him and not Sehun.

The bell rang as an indication for next lesson and the two parted from each other. As Eunsung headed towards the door, Zelo stood up, "I've decided.. I'm going to fight for her." Eunsung turned around at his statement and smiled, glad that the boy was no longer as upset as he was before. 

 

Because that person is you. 


 AUTHOR'S NOTE;

This chapter leaves on a tense cliffhanger, doesn't it? I had an internal dilemma myself wondering whether to post this having written it because I didn't want Zelo to become a character that people would dislike - I suppose, there are no such things as bad people, only bad intentions.

I guess this balanced out with the fluffy morning with Eunhun, but not everything good can last that long T.T

I'm sorry for not posting for a while and I may be going on a semi-hiatus until midway through April due to exams... I feel like this may be the last update until then :/ if you do have any questions or wish to keep in touch with me until then, click here and ask (x) and for those of you who asked about me seeing sekaixiuho at the airport, I finally got round to writing a recount for you all about that day including photos I took so if you want to read, click here (x)

I have to study and eat since it's getting late now, but I wanted to update because I really missed writing. I hope you liked the update and do leave your precious comments as always ^^