Unknowing

There's No One Like YOU

Eunsung never thought of herself to be among the intelligent. Yet she didn't think of herself to be particularly unintelligent either. She was just in the middle - just average. Just one of the many other students that were all attending SM High; just one digit in the statistics.

And now, that digit was standing beyond average.

It was the highly anticipated results day and she had just passed her homeroom teacher when he handed her an envelope. Of course that was when the nervousness came flooding in all at once. Standing in the hallway, she tore open the envelope and hurriedly fumbled for the sheet of paper with her marks on.

"Please let it be a pass, please," she murmured absentmindedly as her eyes scanned through the words, stopping immediately on the 91% that was highlighted in bold. Her jaw dropped and she even double checked her name to see that it was her results and not someone else's. 

"Han Eunsung" was printed on the top. It really was hers. 

Happy could not even explain the amount of joy that spread through her in that very second as her eyes widened and she jumped up and down repeatedly, clutching onto her results tightly, a wide beam evident on her face. 

Sehun, who was about to enter the classroom, caught sight of the sight of the joyful girl jumping at the other end, causing him to pause in mid-walk as a soft chuckle escaped his lips, "She did well." He shook his head in amusement and proceeded to enter the classroom as he was going to before.

Later on, when all the six pupils were present and seated, Mr Park slid his hands in his trouser pockets and leaned back on his desk, "So the results came through this morning and I have to say, you all did exceptionally well this term. Not just from the exam results itself, but from how well you seem to get on with each other." Mr Park paused as he noticed the extremely silent atmosphere filling the room, "Okay I know you're all waiting for me to spill the good news but could you at least be a bit more enthusiastic?"

Silence.... again. 

"Oh nevermind. You kids won it, China's all yours - free of charge. Congratulations," he rolled his eyes, giving up trying to put in a few nice words about them. The students all buzzed with excitement at the good news - Kris was busy trying to explain the top foods that they had to eat there; Haera was clutching onto Eunsung's arm and grinning broadly; Kai was still celebrating the fact that he passed.

"One more thing! Can I have your attention?" Mr Park raised his voice a little over the noise. When small murmurs were the only thing that were heard, he continued, "Boys will be sharing the dorms together and same goes for the girls. I think it's at least eight people to one room so you'll be mixed with a couple of other people from the other groups, but more will be explained about the rooms tomorrow. And I suggest you all finish the packing tonight for tomorrow."

 

Tomorrow arrived in a blink of an eye. 

After an hour flight and a short coach ride, Eunsung grabbed her suitcase from the storage section in the coach and slung her backpack over her back when Zelo came up to her with his own luggage, "Eunsung, you excited for this?"

Eunsung smiled softly at him, "Yeah I am. I've never been to China before." When the words left , she realised that she hadn't been to many places - in fact, any. The only place she had been in her entire life was in Korea and even then, she only remained in Seoul. This was all new to her. 

"Me neither, let's have a blast!" he grinned putting up his thumbs and Eunsung found herself nodding along. When they had reached the inside of the centre they were staying in, Eunsung glanced around the lobby they were gathered in and observed how there were students from other schools staying there too. 

"Okay everyone gather around," Mr Park called out to the students who were busy admiring the interior, "Since there are thirty two students staying in this centre, we rented out four rooms - 2 for each gender but sixteen will be on the west wing and the other sixteen on the east wing. The arrangements are most likely to be with the people already in your team. Now you should be able to find your room number alongside the ticket given to you on the coach." There was rustling heard from the students who were trying to look for the said item that they had misplaced. "And before anything happens further, I want to remind you all that yes, we're here to relax, have a break from all the work, but remember, just like any other year, make sure nothing bad happens. If it does, we might have to reconsider having these trips again."

"Yes sir!" the students chorused and Mr Park grinned, "Okay now that's over, please unpack and be downstairs for dinner later!" Quickly the students ran to their shared rooms to find how spacious it was inside too. Hearing that she would be sharing with seven other people, Eunsung had thought that the room would end up being incredibly cramped but strangely, there was enough room. They had to sleep on the floor because there wasn't that much space to fit eight beds but nevertheless, no-one minded it too much. 

"Isn't this nice?" Haera grinned happily inspecting the large room. There were a couple of other girls in there who gave small smiles and greetings when the two entered which they returned. Spotting an empty spot next to the wall, Eunsung set her bags down there, already claiming that place to be her sleeping place and sat on her blankets. She didn't feel like unpacking simply because there wasn't that much to unpack. She only had her clothes but she could easily look through her suitcase in the mornings and besides, there wasn't exactly a place to hang them up either. 

Haera must have thought the same because she sat on her luggage shortly afterwards, "Hey Eunsung, let's go to the shared public room on our ground and see what the others are up to." Not having much else to do, the girl agreed and bidding goodbyes to the other girls, they left the room and made their way to the said place. There were three guys playing table tennis and a few others gathering around the pans, deciding what to have for dinner. Haera was fast to spot Kai and Sehun conversing to each other and joined them while Eunsung chose to sit on the couch and stare blankly out of the window. She didn't really feel like talking to anyone really, she just wanted to be alone for a while. It had been a few minutes since she started drawing small circular patterns on her knees absentmindedly when the couch dipped beside her, "What's with the face?"

The girl glanced at the person beside her, Zelo who had just changed into a shirt instead of his previous jumper, before quickly replying, "Nothing really. Did you finish unpacking?" The latter didn't comment any further on the topic or perhaps he didn't even notice it even needed commenting on, "Yup all done. You?" The girl hummed a small 'mhm' which the other found himself enjoy listening to.

"Guys and girls! We're having bbq for dinner tonight so can we have some people who are experienced with grilling help out with the pork please? And more people to help chopping the meat!" a male student announced as some students were setting up the equipment for the grilling outside.

"I guess I should help out," Zelo mumbled scratching his head, "I'll talk to you in a bit." With that said, the male went towards the kitchen to help his fellow students chop up the meat and some vegetables for sides. Eunsung stayed where she was for two more minutes before deciding that she should go and see if anyone needed help. She couldn't be selfish and not do anything because that only made her feel guilty. Going outside, she found the table half set so she went back inside to take out a few more plates and cutlery from the boxes left open in the shared public room, 

"Seven more plates... eight pairs of chopsticks...four more cups..." she mumbled to herself as she grabbed the said items. Stacking the cups up, she set them on top of the plates and attempted to balance the chopsticks too. When she did that successfully, she went back outside where a girl asked for them so she passed them to her. Content that she had at least done something, she managed a small smile just as her stomach growled. She loitered around the guys that were grilling the meat - most of them were either burnt or undercooked. Eunsung huffed slightly, frustrated that she was hungry and the food didn't look like it would be arriving anytime soon.

"I'm hungry," the girl said mostly to herself as she stood on the side watching the meat cook incredibly slowly.

Sehun who was on duty for grilling (but hadn't done any grilling yet) noticed the girl who was observing the meat while biting on the edge of her lip with her eyebrows furrowed. Earlier he had noticed the guys' slow method of grilling too but he just didn't say anything about it. But this was going to take forever and people were getting hungry. Sehun decided to take charge and disposed of the burnt meat before returning his attention to the undercooked meat. He flipped it every now and then and the onlookers watched in fascination as the meat turned a gorgeous golden brown colour. 

"Woaaahh! This tastes really good!" one guy exclaimed as he picked up a piece. There were delighted exclamations of 'Sehun's the best griller!' and 'why didn't you tell us you were this good at it earlier Sehun?' But quite frankly, Sehun didn't really care about those comments. He took the plate a guy handed him and carefully picked up several pieces of pork before looking for a certain person.

That certain person who was hungry... 

"Here," he said as he passed the plate to Eunsung who had been watching him grill the meat intently. At first she was confused as to why he was offering her the first plate when there were plenty of other hungry students around but then again, food was right in front of her eyes and who could resist that? Her eyes first landed on the crispy golden meat before flickering back up to Sehun with a bright smile on her face, "Thanks Sehun." And when she took the first bite of the pork, Eunsung swore that she hadn't had meat that tasted as nice as the one Sehun made - maybe it was because she was extremely hungry, or maybe it was because the meat was good or yet even, maybe, just maybe it was because of the person who had made it. 

 

But that thought never once crossed the girl's mind.


 AUTHOR'S NOTE;

So I think this is 'okay' for the start of the China trip? I didn't want it to be too heavy with things happening when they only just arrived - this is why I dislike changing the locations ;~; But I promise there will be more things & drama in the future chapters so please anticipate it! ^^

Oh btw a few people commented with the song they thought Sehun to be playing in the previous chapter! And it's....a secret LMAO (do you get the reference xD) but trust me, it will revealed in all due time~