Gratitude

There's No One Like YOU

Eunsung was the first to wake up between them both the very next day due to the blinding sunlight that filtered in through the translucent patterns. She blinked a few times to readjust to the light before moving her fists to rub the sleep out of her eyes. Glancing over to the alarm clock beside her (it was only 7:45AM), she noticed that she still had a while before everyone else got up. As of now, all she wanted to do was to have a quick shower, do the necessary morning routine and then have some juice. With a small groan, she pushed herself up from the comfy bed, walked over to the bathroom and locked it. 

When she had taken a nice wake-up shower, she was about to brush her teeth when she remembered the method they would use for that so she decided to towel dry her hair instead. After a few minutes, the ends of her hair were mostly dry and the rest of her head was slightly damp so she hung up the towel and proceeded to return back to the room. 

In the midst of packing her backpack, she heard a little shuffle and immediately her eyes darted over to the other body in the room. After placing a few more items in her bag, she walked over to Sehun to find him still fast asleep. His head was in a strange position but Eunsung didn't dare try moving it incase he woke up. Truthfully, she felt guilty for taking his bed when he had to sleep on the couch - it was his room after all - but Sehun was so insistent that she slept there that she hardly had a say. She looked at his sleeping figure and noticed that he had kicked off half the covers so that they were dragging across the floor. Just as she was about to pull the covers up, the morning alarm went off - Sehun's eyes slowly opened while Eunsung froze in her mid crouch. 

"What... What are you doing?" he asked as he covered his mouth to hide a yawn. The girl, not really knowing how to respond, raised her finger to point at the fallen bedsheets and Sehun, understanding this, nodded. After a while, he got up to brush his teeth and when the girl followed him in, he stared at her blankly.

"We need to use the cup together," she answered his non-existent question and the boy hesitated for a few seconds before a soft 'oh' slipped out his mouth.

 

Of course as the past few weeks went by, the rearranged small classes of six had participated in many school events, taken on many challenges and so on and it just so happened that they were getting so close to the exams that all the teachers had decided to give the students free study sessions instead of having classes that would be fairly pointless anyway. So after arriving to school with the boys, they all parted ways and Eunsung went with Kris, Kai and Sehun to the library to study. Their class as well as a few others had been granted permission to use the library during normal school hours as well as before and after school. Eunsung decided that she may have to stay longer for the upcoming days in order to prepare for this exam.

The four young people found a table in a nice spot: next to the window which wasn't directly in the sun so that it would be distracting but also enough that a nice breeze escaped the window above. The library was pretty much silent except for the ruffling of paper, the scrawling of pens and the occasional sniffle from an ill student (there was always at least one person ill during exam season).

Despite being fairly comfortable with each other's presence, the four sat in a way that allowed them to not get distracted from their work - Eunsung sat nearest to the left side of the window; Sehun sat two seats away from the right side of the window; Kris sat in the middle of the table and Kai, on the end. They all pulled out their revision material and began working through the exercises, cramming their brains with all the information they had learned throughout the year. The main topic areas were Maths, English and Science - Eunsung found herself comfortable with the latter two so her sole focus was basically Maths. To her, Maths was an endless number calculations, possibilities and one thing for sure: it was extremely difficult.

By the time it was near lunchtime, a few things had happened: Zelo & Haera joined them, Kris & Kai went to the canteen to buy lunch for all of them and Eunsung was getting stuck on questions increasingly. After staring at the same questions for fifteen minutes straight, she decided to look at the Mathematics section to see if she could find something that could explain the method completely. Making her way through the different aisles, she stopped when she found the Mathematics section and walked through, her pace decreasing as she got nearer to the topic she was looking for. She tapped the spine of the books she didn't want, looking for 'calculus' but she couldn't find it. The book before that was there and the book after that was there too, leaving just an empty gap where the book she wanted was supposed to be originally. Someone had obviously taken it out - she wasn't surprised, calculus was damn hard! 

Sighing, she thought to return to her seat and spend more time trying to figure out the solution on her own or maybe she could ask one of the others for their help. 

"Are you looking for this?" 

Eunsung looked to her right to see a male student with a small smile on his face before she looked down at what he was offering her: the calculus book.

"Yeah... but you're using it?" her reply came out sounding more like a question than a statement. The guy looked at her for a few seconds too long before shaking his head, "Nah I just finished with it."

"Oh okay, thanks," she said quietly, taking the book from his hands. She wanted to go back to the table and continue what she was doing but it seemed like this guy was standing in her way, "Um...?"

"Don't you know me?" he suddenly asked, shaking his head. Mind racing and trying to work out where she could've possibly seen him before, she didn't realise she was not speaking and therefore giving the impression that no, she didn't know him. 

"I'm sorry, I can't think of that right now.. where have we met?"

The guy looked deflated but didn't comment on it, "English class - you know, before the one month study classes? Jonghyun??" 

"Oh yes, I remember now... Sorry, I'm just very forgetful and stressed out right now," she apologised, taking a step to leave. 

"I...I like you," he suddenly blurted out, in fear that she would leave more than anything. Jonghyun had always admired the girl from afar, not having the right timing or courage to speak to her. Of course, it hurt. It hurt that he had to wait for so long; it hurt that he knew so much about her yet she couldn't even remember his name; it hurt that the girl didn't say anything for ten painful seconds.

"Eunsung?" he croaked, "Please say something."

The girl snapped out of her daze when she heard his voice. She was so lost since she had never been confessed to before so she said it in a nice way, hoping not to hurt his feelings, "I don't feel the same way Jonghyun, I'm sorry."

The guy closed his eyes with a frustrated grumble - in the back of his mind, he knew this would be the most likely case scenario but even with that, he still wanted to try and now, hearing those words from the girl only made him more angry. When his eyes snapped open, he threw her a hurtful look mixed with hatred, "Why is everything you say to me 'i'm sorry'? I'm sorry I don't know you, I'm sorry I don't remember your name, I'm sorry I don't like you - am I really that pitiful to you?" 

"I'm..." Eunsung started before holding the unsaid words on the tip of her tongue, "..that's not it Jonghyun. I didn't mean it like that-" 

"Who do you like then?" he cut her off sharply, raising an eyebrow. When the girl didn't respond for another five seconds, he stepped closer to her in an intimidating manner. She thought about Zelo - how much she 'liked' him earlier in the year (or how much she made herself into believing that she liked him) and what it was like for her now. Sure, she still liked him but she only saw him as a really nice person to hang around - that was when she realised that she didn't really know him properly enough to like him before. With these thoughts swarming around her head, she didn't realise Jonghyun was now right in front of her and even gripped her shoulders with his strong arms, "Well??"

"I don't know.." she murmured, a frown forming on her face when Jonghyun's grasp was getting tighter. 

"If there's no-one, can't you give me a chance?" he looked at her with watery eyes as his fingernails dug into her shoulders. 

Having enough of his irrational self right now, Eunsung thought that the only thing she could do right now was to tell him firmly so that she didn't lead him on unintentionally, "If there's no-one, I'd stay single - I don't see the use in dating someone I don't even like in the slightest because that just defeats the point of dating. Now just stop and let me go Jonghyun, you're being completely unreasonable."

"That's why you need to give me the chance to make you like me!" he fumed looking visibly angry and Eunsung wondered what else she had to say to make him let her go. At this point, it seemed fairly impossible. 

Sehun finished the last set of questions and looked around while stretching his arms. Seeing the empty seat next to the window, he furrowed his eyebrows - he certainly didn't remember seeing or hearing the girl leave. Her books were still on the desk accompanied by her pens so he guessed that she was returning soon. However, when Kai texted him to say that they couldn't bring the food into the library because otherwise the librarian would freak out so they had to meet in the eating hall, Sehun went to look for Eunsung (since she had been gone for quite a while) after telling Zelo & Haera about lunch. 

He grabbed all his books and pens and shoved them in his bag and did the same for the girl's things before going through the aisles to look for her. It was especially quiet now because a) it was the library after all and b) most of the students had left for lunch. When he got to the Science section, he heard a someone shout from another aisle and with his eyes widening, his body dragged his feet faster to the location.

"That's why you need to give me the chance to make you like me!"

Sehun finally saw her.

Eunsung looked small compared to the guy who towered over her and had a tight grip around her shoulders. Sehun couldn't interpret the situation fully but he knew that the other guy was doing something that Eunsung didn't like judging from her half confused, half upset expression. 

Composing himself, he walked over to the two of them and pulled the guy's hands off her before giving the girl her bag and speaking softly, "Are you hungry? Let's eat, okay?" Eunsung looked at Sehun for reassurance and upon seeing his calming chocolate brown eyes, nodded slowly, feeling quite sad about Jonghyun - she didn't want to hurt him but he didn't seem to understand when she had told him no. 

"Who..who is this?" Jonghyun flared, feeling pissed off for being forgotten for the time being. 

"I'm her friend, what about you?" Sehun replied, picking his bag off the floor.

"I... why the hell should that matter? I don't want to talk to you, I want to talk to your friend," Jonghyun stressed the final word in a mocking tone which Sehun found himself clenching his jaw at. 

"Sehun..let's go," Eunsung pulled the boy's blazer sleeve before he could say something back to Jonghyun. She felt uncomfortable as it was just speaking to that guy alone and she definitely didn't want to drag Sehun into this as well.

Sehun gave the guy a dead straight serious face before walking away. There was something unsettling about Jonghyun and he didn't like it at all. The two didn't speak a single word on the way to the food hall - Eunsung didn't want to talk about it and Sehun felt that it wasn't right of him to pry into other people's business. 

"Eunsung! Sehun!" Haera called out with a wave to indicate where they were sitting. They made their way there and the only seats left were far apart from each other but still on opposite sides. Eunsung sat down next to Kris while Sehun sat two seats away on the opposite side, next to Haera. 

"What took you guys so long?" Kai asked in a muffled voice since he was chewing on his food. Eunsung looked up at Sehun but he was looking back at Kai although in the corner of his eye, he noticed the girl looking at him. 

"We were looking for a book," Sehun filled in smoothly and Kai shrugged, too hungry to form a response. When Sehun turned his head back to glance at Eunsung's reaction, the girl mouthed 'thank you' to him before giving a small smile. Sehun looked back down at his food, pretending not to have seen it and all the while, fighting the urge to smile back. As long as he saw others being happy, it was okay, he didn't need to be happy anyway. It was far too out of his league. On the other hand, Zelo, who was sitting in front of Eunsung noticed this exchange between the two and felt something uncomfortable stir in his chest but thought nothing more of it and forced a smile. 


 AUTHOR'S NOTE;

Such a long wait for this I'm so sorry guys ;A; and before anyone asks, no this is not Jonghyun from SHINee LMFAO. anyway did you like it? I thought the last part was quite a nice contrast between the two guy characters: Sehun who is genuinely happy but doesn't smile and Zelo who is not happy but forces his smile :'( 

This is /kind of/ appropriate for the story I guess haha but here's something I vidded of Sehun and somehow it matches his personality in this story?