Comfort

There's No One Like YOU

With exams over and her parents' return home, there was hardly any reason for Eunsung to run into Sehun. Lessons went back to their usual routine and despite the fact that Sehun was in one of her classes, she hadn't spoken to the boy since that night they spent looking at fireflies. Naturally she felt a bit empty but didn't say anything about it. 

On the other hand, she had been running into Zelo quite often nowadays, whether it'd be between classes or during lunchtime. The latter was always there, a bright smile plastered to his face as soon as he saw the girl and Eunsung had to admit, she had never known anyone that smiled as much as he did but as long as he was happy, she didn't mind. 

"Did you hear that we're getting our results tomorrow?"

The two were sitting outside on the grass with their lunches resting in between them both while watching a couple of students play football. They both had a free period in which they decided to eat lunch together since their other friends had classes. Eunsung let out a small groan of dissatisfaction at that comment and stabbed her chopsticks into her bulgogi kimbap, as if taking out her frustration on the item. She had been aware of that fact for the past week and didn't like to be reminded of how close it was.

Zelo who was sitting across from her, bit his lip to prevent a chuckle escaping them from watching the girl's reaction, "It couldn't have been that bad."

"Define bad," the girl grumbled as she stuffed the kimbap into and chomped unhappily. Zelo, who was too busy observing the girl's actions, didn't even realise that she spoke, leaving an extremely long ten second pause and it would've remained like that if Eunsung hadn't glanced up upon the boy's silence. 

"Uhh sorry, you were saying?" he mumbled, feeling half embarrassed and half guilty of not listening. 

The girl paused, shook her head before pointing at the other's tray of food, "Aren't you eating?"

Breaking out of his self chastise, Zelo picked up his own pair of chopsticks to indicate that he was going to eat and when the girl smiled and returned her attention to the food, the other raised his eyes letting them linger on her for moments longer. Recently he found himself zoning out a lot which was very unlike him - it was almost as if the more time he spent with the girl, the more he zoned out. And even though he wanted this new habit to stop, he didn't want to stop spending time with the girl for that reason alone. No, he wasn't that desperate yet. 

"Oh we forgot to get spoons for our dessert," the girl frowned as she stood up, "I'll go and get some." Before Zelo could respond, she had already walked away from him so he decided to just wait for her return while he watched the football match in front, feeling a little lonely without the girl's presence already.

Eunsung wandered into the food hall, which was full of students all around, some still retrieving their meals and some eating with friends, in search of the cutlery rack which was close to the fridge full of cold drinks. Just as she spotted the rack (a few students were hovering over the drink machine hiding the cutlery), a body blocked her view causing her to look up at the culprit's face.

Jonghyun.

In that very moment, she thought back to the day she saw him in the library when he had tried to force her to date him. Somehow even though many would feel scared of the other person if something like that happened, she didn't. The only thing she felt was sorrow for the guy despite wanting to feel anything but sorry for another person. As well as this, she didn't want any trouble from this situation either which is why she stepped to the side of him, hoping to avoid having to talk.

Unfortunately it wasn't that easy - Jonghyun only copied her actions successfully blocking her again. Thinking there was no other way to get past him, she decided to tell him straight out what she came here for, not what he wanted from her, "I need to get-" 

"Why are you ignoring me?" he cut her off, staring straight at her eyes which were pinned to the collar of the latter's shirt. She wanted to not look into those eyes because they were filled with such anger, such sadness that it hurt to know that she had put it there.

With a small dejected sigh, she said, "I didn't, I never did Jonghyun. You just didn't seem to understand me the first time, or maybe you did but chose to ignore it." It seemed as if he was not going to even give her the opportunity to say anything other than that topic and that, she didn't like. 

"What are you talking about?" he folded his arms against his chest, looking displeased with her answer.

"What is it that you like about me anyway? Everytime you talk to me, I feel like you're burning with hatred directed towards me. Why would you like someone that makes you feel that way?" she answered back with a question, rendering him silent for a few seconds too long. 

"See? No answer," she confirmed sensing the other's struggle to form a reasonable response. Thinking that she had finally dealt with the whole situation, she took one step to the side of him when suddenly a large force knocked into her side, smashing her back against the drinks machine.

"Ow," she grimaced, gritting her teeth together at the pain in her back as she threw him a glare, "What's wrong with you?" She had reached the peak of her patience now since he had pushed her too far - even taking a calm approach to matters had its limits.

Ignoring her, his eyebrows knitted together in frustration, "Don't you understand? The only reason I'm getting angry is because... you're not seeing me. Yes, you are looking at me but you're not seeing." 

Eunsung was struck dumb by his response. 

Slowly, he moved away from the girl and dropped his arms to his sides, as if freeing her from his suffocating cage. He then backed away before walking away completely, footsteps gradually fading away. 

Jonghyun's intentions behind his actions never seemed more meaningful - although he had taken a more direct approach to address them, he never meant to hurt her. Now that she understood, a pang of sadness hit her that it took her so long to realise what Jonghyun had been doing all along. I'm sorry Jonghyun...Even if you hate me apologising, I really am sorry for misunderstanding you...

"Knife, fork or spoon?" 

Eunsung turned her head to the direction of the source of the voice to find Sehun now leaning over the cutlery rack. How long had he been there?

"Actually I'm not so hungry anymore..." she said in a small voice as she looked down at her shoes feeling rather downhearted, "...so just one spoon will do I guess."

Sehun didn't search for the said item when he heard the girl's first words - in a way he could relate to that. Whenever he felt downhearted about something, he could go on for hours of not eating, simply losing his appetite to eat which wasn't good for his health. He didn't want the same to happen for her.

Standing upright, he grabbed onto the girl's wrist gently and lead her down the corridors filled with music rooms. Eunsung was always helping him whenever he needed help and the previous week where she had been there to comfort him at the cemetery had been clear proof of that. The girl was true to her words - she really did care to help people and Sehun, who had been one of those lucky people receiving her help, wanted to return the kindness. 

"Sehun?" she asked, wondering what he was doing as she let him guide her into an empty music room filled with plenty of instruments and a large mirror for students to view themselves while dancing. 

The boy didn't respond and instead grabbed a guitar from the corner before sitting with his back against the large mirror. Eunsung furrowed her eyebrows in confusion but followed his actions and sat beside him.

Sehun placed his fingers in position and closed his eyes trying to recall the first notes of that one song he had self-taught because the lyrics had been too beautiful to ignore; he almost wanted to keep the song to himself, hoping that would preserve how special it was. It had been a song that his mother had often listened to - he wished that he still had the CD itself but when his parents passed away, he didn't even have the chance to return to his old house. That was one thing that he deeply regretted.

That's why when he moved into his aunt's house, he wanted to work out each and every note of the song and hear the beat himself, wanting to know what it was that made his mother love it so, which is what he did. It had been a while since he last played it however, and even a longer while since he last played any song to someone (the last person was his mother). 

Strumming a calming tune to begin with, his fingers quickly found their way across the strings of the guitar themselves and worked their way through the opening notes and the room was soon filled with a melodious sound that sounded beautifully breathtaking.

Initially, the girl was b with questions she wanted to ask the boy: what was he doing? Why was he doing this for her? Had he heard their conversation back there? But when Sehun started playing, the questions soon escaped her mind and the rhythm of the song invaded it instead. Oddly enough, she felt...calm which she was not feeling moments ago after she spoke to Jonghyun. If she had to be honest, she wanted to stay like this and just for a while, or perhaps even a day, forget about everything - simply listening to this song and the small sounds of Sehun brushing his fingers through the strings. 

Sadly, the song came to an end all too soon after minutes of playing and it finished with a few long notes and Sehun's quiet whispering of 'I am here to stay' before all that could be heard was the soft breeze that came in through the open window and the almost non-existent sound of the clock ticking. Sehun set his guitar down to rest on his lap before looking ahead to avoid the girl's questioning gaze.

"Why?" 

He had already expected this question but the answer was simple and clear to him. Sehun let his eyes fall back on the strings of the guitar before he answered back with a question, "You're always helping others and when it comes to yourself, why won't you let someone else help you?" He turned his head to look at the girl who turned away from him upon hearing this - she didn't like the direction of this conversation at all. 

Yet she still willed herself to answer.

"Because in this world, there's not always at least even just one person to help. No-one wants to help so how can I let a non-existent person in?" All her life, she had to do everything herself: walk home alone when she was a child; pick herself up during the harder days of her teenage years; come home to an empty and cold house now. Sure she was surrounded by people around her at school all the time but she never felt more alone. 

"Am I really non-existent?" Sehun asked in a lighthearted manner, a tiny smile visible at the edges of his lips.

The girl shook her head before the meaning behind his question sunk in and she turned her head back to look at him, "Why?"

Sehun tilted his head to look at her in amusement, "You're asking that a lot today, but does everything need a reason for it to happen? I just want to." With that said, the bell rang indicating that lunch period was over at exactly the right moment. Sehun stood up, dusting his trousers and the girl followed suit, thinking about their conversation just now. 

"Sehun?" the girl called out as the said male was returning the guitar to its original position, "What was the name of the song you just played?" 

"That's..." Sehun started as they made their way over to the door and when he slid the door open, he finished with, "....a secret." The boy's eyes twinkled when the girl frowned and folded her arms across her chest, looking displeased.

"How am I supposed to listen to it again then?" 

"You don't...unless I'm around."


 AUTHOR'S NOTE;

Well on the bad side of things, Zelo got forgotten momentarily e__e while on the good side of things, no-one has to worry about Jonghyun interfering with any more of the plot because although he is a good guy, I don't think it would be necessary to keep his role anymore since his main purpose in this story was to allow Sehun to see Eunsung aside being the person that everyone normally sees her to be.

But I wonder if anyone knows what the song Sehun played on his guitar was? I know it's pretty difficult to guess from the limited line of lyrics but I'm curious xD