Beginnings

There's No One Like YOU

The sweet melody of violin strings resounded throughout the church hall accompanied by the followings of a grand orchestra. The church itself was not grand, but something every female would envy, for the marble floors were so shiny one could see their own reflection in, not to mention the variety of flowers scattered around, resembling a scene of heaven. 

Upon hearing the abrupt stop in the music, everyone turned their heads towards the door expecting the bride. Eunsung walked up the aisle towards him. Towards Zelo, the guy who had managed to interest her on a first impression. They say that things such as love at first sight are purely fairytales, too unrealistic to exist in this world and should anyone tell you that, you should slap them because they are only interested in something else...

"Do you, Zelo, take Han Eunsung to be your lawfully wedded wife?" the priest asked. The entire church hall fell upon a hushed silence so that even the smallest pin on Earth dropping could be heard.

"I do," Zelo said as he squeezed the girl's hand. His hand felt colder than what she had always imagined: warm and secure. Why did the situation feel so right, so perfect yet at the same time all so wrong?

"And do you, Han Eunsung, take Zelo to be your lawfully wedded husband?" the priest asked. Eunsung looked at Zelo who was gazing softly at her and for some reason found her voice lodged in .

 

"Eunsung? Han Eunsung!" a voice screeched. 

"I do!" the said girl yelled happily as she stood up. Realisation sank in only seconds later that she was not in the church, but in fact a classroom. The entire class burst into laughter while she pulled an embarrassed face before scratching her head. Miss Chae shook her head in disapproval and told the poor girl to sit back down.

"What was it this time?" her friend, Jihyun, smirked knowingly. The friendship she had with this girl was one that went as far back to primary school days. The memory was still fresh in her mind: it was a warm afternoon so the children were let out to play. It so happened on that day, Eunsung was brushing her hand throughout the sandbox, attempting to build something when she caught sight of a couple of boys bullying a frail little girl. Jihyun was not big as a child, half the size of regular girls, making her an easy target and the fact that a child was picked on for something so trivial angered her. Needless say, the pair had become closer than ever from just this one incident, Eunsung sticking by Jihyun's side for protection and the other simply enjoying her company.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Eunsung scowled, folding her arms. It was true, she had to admit, that dreaming about guys was becoming a regular occurrence nowadays and even though it was terribly embarrassing to talk about (and rather worrying quite frankly), it was actually enjoyable. 

Jihyun brushed that comment off and edged her desk closer instead, "So what happened?" 

"I was getting married to Zelo... he said his part and then turned to look at me with his dreamy eyes. I thought I would die right on the spot." There was this weird pit feeling she felt after the dream, for example a question that popped up in her head a few times was why did Zelo's hand feel so cold when she held it? 

"And so? Did you guys get married? Kiss?" Jihyun interrupted, breaking her line of thoughts. 

Eunsung sighed, "No, I was just up to saying my vows. What bad timing that was." Or not, a part of her unconscious brain whispered although she chose to ignore it.

Jihyun chuckled, "Better luck next time Sung-ah." 

"I hope so," was all that the girl mumured before glancing through the window at the other classroom. The classrooms were built rather closely together, so close that you could see what another was doing in the classroom next door, especially with the help of the large windows. Zelo was sitting by the window so Eunsung could steal peeks at him everyday. He had his headphones on and his eyes were closed. I can't believe Zelo is within an arm's reach from me.

 

‣ Meanwhile at Heo Sang High School

"...so go to your teacher's office to collect your letters," the speaker announced, while large quantities of students weren't paying attention. They were, in fact, doing all sorts of things that shouldn't be done in a school: chasing each other up and down the corridors causing major disturbances; throwing paper aeroplanes that hit unlucky students full on in the face and some were rummaging through the teacher's cupboards for answer papers for the homework they had been set. In other words, Heo Sang High School was known for its awful reputation. Well, if you can get popular through people's love and adoration, you can also get popularity through people's hate and disgust too, no?

A group of friends were sprawled out among the corner of a classroom: two were reading books, a few were on their phones while the others were in mid talk with their lanky legs draped over the desk. At the sound of the speaker, they looked up and exchanged looks with one another. 

Kyungsoo, the first one to make an action, put down his thick novel and tucked his hands in his pockets, "I wonder where we'll be transferred to."

"Perhaps somewhere with hot girls?" Baekhyun suggested with a hopeful face, earning a disapproving grunts from several of the others, "What?! It could totally happen!"

Chanyeol, having enough of the conversation, whacked the latter's head to shut him up, "Seriously?" A glare was sent his way. 

"Well let's get going then, I'm too curious to just sit and wait," Kris stood up, stretching his bones. The group of friends all followed, leaving behind the immense ruckus caused by their fellow classmates. 

 

"Do you guys all have to come at once? I can barely fit half of you all in my office!" their homeroom teacher moaned as the boys crowded around his desk. Regardless, he fumbled around for the pack of folders and pulled out twelve brown envelopes handing them to Suho seeing as he was the most responsible among them. 

"Okay go now!" the teacher shooed them away instantly, squatting his hands at them which was the reason why all of boys stood in the corridor with their envelopes in their hands. They all exchanged nervous looks with each other. It was a moment of revelation - where they would be transferred to. Heo Sang High was, sadly, getting closed down because the council had thought the standards and learning conditions of the school were far too poor. 

"On the count of three," Suho told them and they all prayed to the heavens that they would at least be together, "One, two, three!" All of them opened their letters at the same time, scanning for the name of their new school.

"SM HIGH SCHOOL!" they all shouted in unison before cheering wildly. It seemed that any god or goddess up there answered their prayers - maybe this new school wouldn't be so bad after all they decided. Seeing as it was a bright, sunny afternoon, they decided to sit on the steps onlooking the football grounds which was their usual hangout. A few students were walking about here and there, getting to classes but the group just decided to watch the students that were playing a soccer match instead. Xiumin and Luhan were both cheering, obviously drawn into the match that was taking place while the other boys decided to discuss the topic they were all eager to talk about. 

"I wonder what it'll be like there..." Chen started, tapping his chin, "I mean it can't be as bad as here right?" The boys all looked at each other and chuckled - it was ironic how they disliked their current school yet it was the place where most of them met. They had a rough start to begin with - some not getting along with others but it soon developed into fondness of each other and finally the friendship they had today.

Suho nudged Sehun, who was sitting in front of him, lightly as if asking for his opinion and giving him a small smile. Sehun, being a rather quiet individual, simply shrugged with a lack of interest, "It's probably the same." Everything about Oh Sehun was a mystery - his daily routine was like a broken video tape left on repeat and his life seemed so carefully planned out. He was that person who looked fine on the outside: his mouth drawn in a thin line, eyes a void of emotion, making him not appear as a human.  

Xiumin, who had seemed to tear his eyes away from the game, added, "I certainly hope they sell buns for lunch there. Mum said that I have to stop feeding my unhealthy obsession but to be quite honest, I couldn't care less."

"I've always been curious about this hyung but why do you like eating yourself?" Yixing asked with a mischevious grin spreading across his features while some of the boys snorted ("Shut up!")


‣ At SM High School

Eunsung looked down at the floor and unconsciously let out a sigh - classrooms had long ago been emptied of students eagerly rushing home and now all that was left were the lonely corridors - unfortunately the girl had earned herself a detention so had to do a thirty minute shift of cleaning. Since it was late spring, the windows had been left open and a soft breeze brushed past her shoulders, causing a shiver to run down her spine. Dragging the blue bucket of water towards the dancing studio, she leaned against the door to prop it open before sliding in.

"Jihyun? Are you here?" 

Only the silence replied.

The girl furrowed her eyebrows and pulled out her phone to see if something happened to her friend.

"Hey something came up but I'll be there in 10 minutes!"

She wondered how she didn't see this message earlier but shrugged it off and picked up the bucket and mop, deciding to get most of the task she had been designated to do finished. It was fine for a while until she noticed how dim the light was. If there was one thing she hated - it was the dark, not because she had a fear of dark itself, but because she was afraid of what was in the dark. It took place when she was a child: her parents had gone to her grandmother's house since she had severe stomach pains and left Eunsung behind. Coincidentally on that night, the electricity had cut off and the rest is easy enough to work out.

Feeling determined, she walked towards the dim light to check it out but then she crashed into something behind which certainly wasn't there before.

"Hey, you okay?" the voice spoke, putting his hand on her shoulder, sensing the girl's distress in the current situation. Needless say the girl was shaking in the slightest bit - in her mind everything appeared much more scarier since you never really know what's there in the dark. The fear of not knowing is by far the scariest. Before it got worse, the door swung open to reveal her friend with a bright torch shining it on the two figures. 

"Eunsung did you not see the light switches on your way in?!" Jihyun exclaimed running over to check her friend as if for any physical injuries. Eunsung shook her head with a smile indicating that she was alright and was about to ask what took her so long but instead what she got was:

"Oh! Hi Zelo!" 


 AUTHOR'S NOTE;

Hope that's okay for a first chapter though I'm aware Sehun's character needs to be in more depth which will be revealed throughout the chapters :)