Winter Dance

Winter's Photo Album

 

He arrived at the one of the winter dance. It had been when he was 16, the only dance that had made an impression on him, and not that great of one, but it wasn’t bad…Just kind of weird.

 


 

            The whole school had been buzzing for the past month. All because of one stupid dance. The annual winter dance was for the high school and middle school to celebrate the end of the school year.

            Yonghwa grimaced as he walked down the hallway with Jonghyun. “All these girls keep staring at me, it’s so annoying.”

            Laughing, his younger friend caught the girls’ eyes and sent them a few winks. “Well it’s a compliment hyung. I think half of the school is jealous of you and your good looks.”

            “Still…”

            “Are you going to ask someone?”

            “I don’t know, maybe.” *I was going to but Taeyeon asked someone else first. Stupid Myungsoo for being too handsome…He’s so quiet, but his face…aish…*

            Minhyuk ran up and tackled the two to the ground. “Hyung! There were a bunch of girls in the lunch line talking about how to ask you to the dance.”

            Smirking, Jonghyun straightened up. “Then it’s easy if you don’t know who to ask. Just accept a random girl.”

            “Yeah, the 13th girl to ask you should be the one you accept.”

            Yonghwa frowned. “That’s an unlucky number.”

            “Exactly, it’s so unlucky that it’s lucky.”

            Staring at the maknae, he shrugged. “Ok, I’ll accept the 13th girl that asks me.” *It can’t be that bad, right?*

 


 

            And it wasn’t that bad. All the pushy, bratty, over-confident girls had been 1-10. The annoying twins had been 11-12. Now it was just whoever asked him first. *Why did I agree to this? I could’ve just gone with the guys or something…* Yonghwa hitched up his backpack and headed into his science room.

            He grinned at his lab partner and got out his books. “Annyeong Hyoyeon, are you ready to do some dissections?”

            She made a face and groaned. “You’re good with doing all of it, right? There’s no way I’m going to risk fainting and not being able to go to dance class later.”

            Laughing, Yonghwa agreed. He was glad that she was her partner. She was bubbly and fun, but was actually decently smart and didn’t giggle obnoxiously at everything he did. Plus she was a little on the short side like him.

            The two quickly got to work, Hyoyeon writing down the measurements while Yonghwa did all the dissecting and actual observations. They finished early with only a minor scare when Hyoyeon caught sight of one of the wings of the cicada they were dissecting.

            They were just cleaning up when Hyuna slinked over in an overly altered uniform. Yonghwa quickly looked away from her 3 inch skirt and a blouse that barely covered her midriffs. “Annyeong Yonghwa,” she whispered and steped closer.

            Gulping he nodded and hurried over to the sinks to help Hyoyeon clean out the beakers. *Since when has she been in my science class?!?! Oh yeah, since the beginning of the school year…*

            She arched an eyebrow as she stood on tip-toe to reach the beakers. “What’s wrong? You never clean up.”

            “It’s just that all these girls keep asking and whoever asks next, I have to say yes to. And I kind of don’t want to go with Hyuna.”

            Hyoyeon giggled. “Why would you have to say yes? Just go and ask another girl.”

            “Yeah, but the girl I kind of wanted to ask is already taken…”

            She made a face. “It’s probably Taeyeon isn’t it. Yeah she’s going with Myungsoo, I kind of wanted to ask him.”

            Yonghwa felt a light bulb go off in his head. *Taeyeon doesn’t have anyone…she wanted to go with myungsoo…She’s a decent girl…* “Hey Hyo, you’re a girl. Care to dance?” *Oh yeah, if I dance with her, I’ll either look really good or really bad…*

            Snorting, she gave up on putting the beakers on the rack. “Wow way to be Ron Weasley.”

            Being the gentleman that he was, he placed it at the top for her. “Hey Harry Potter is amazing. So how about it?”

            “And you’re not asking me just to get rid of Hyuna?”

            “Nope, plus this way, we can both have fun, get in one dance with the other couple, and not be chased around by Hyuna yeah…”

            She thought for a while before nodding. “You got yourself a deal Yonghwa.”

 


 

            Loud music streamed out of the school gym, snowflakes falling outside as teenagers rushed inside to get warm. Dull winter jackets were quickly shed to reveal the pristine dresses underneath. Silver ribbons zigzagged along the ceiling, all meeting up at a ginormous Christmas tree set up in the middle of the room.

            Yonghwa nodded to himself as he escorted Hyoyeon inside. *Taeyeon did a good job decorating this year*

            “Come on Yonghwa, let’s dance.” His dance partner was dressed in a pretty pink dress. His first impression was *That dress would look really pretty and Hyun…* before quickly dismissing the thought. Tonight was about having fun with his classmates and to get in one dance with Taeyeon.

            He quickly spotted a tall Myungsoo slightly towering of Taeyeon, the two grinning and spinning around in the center of the dance floor. His gray blazer complimented her white dress with black borders perfectly. Seohyun was standing with her date, Kim Kibum (a guy obsessed with clothes, diva-ish, and rumored to be in a relationship with Kim Jonghyun) by the punch table.

            *Why would Seohyun choose him?* Yonghwa shrugged and followed Hyoyeon onto the dance floor.

 


 

            Yonghwa collapsed thirty minutes later onto a nearby chair. “Hold on Hyoyeon-a, I need to take a breather for a second.”

            She grinned. “It’s not that hard oppa, it’s just moving your feet and arms for a couple songs.”

            “Yeah but you trained…Maybe you should spend a couple dances with that Lee Joon guy or Kikwang or even Lee Taemin.”

            “Arasso…See you in a bit, Or maybe I’ll just tell Taeyeon to come over here to dance with you and I’ll take Myungsoo.” She grinned happily at the thought and ran over to the dance floor.

            Yonghwa sighed and closed his eyes. Hyoyeon was awesome, but she had way too much energy for him…even more than Taeyon. He frowned when he felt someone poke him in the middle of his forehead and opened his eyes to a smiling girl in front of him.

            “Hyoyeon practically jumped on top of my date to tell me you wanted to dance with me and you’re over here falling asleep?” Taeyeon playfully hit him and sat next to him.

            “Hehe miane. I’m just a little tired. But yeah, let’s dance.” He bowed, extending a hand to her.

            She rolled her eyes and they whirled around for a couple minutes to a new Super Junior song. “So how’s Hyoyeon?”

            Yonghwa shrugged. “A very good dancer, a little too good for me. How’s Myungsoo?”

            “Eh he’s kind of a dork and keeps talking about manga and L from death note…But he’s really good looking and is a good listener so.” She smiled and was spinning under his arm when she froze.

            “Oppa, wait here for a second.”

            Yonghwa followed her gaze to see her head over to a girl clad in a white dress with pink edges. After walking closer, he realized it was Seohyun standing alone by the wall. A perfect wall flower.

            “MWOH! WHY DIDN’T YOU SAY SOMETHING EARLIER!?!” Taeyeon shrieked before running off again.

            “Did I miss something?” Yonghwa frowned at an uneasy looking Seohyun.

            She sighed and looked into her plate filled with food. “Unnie asked why I was over here…and it just kind of slipped out.”

            “What did?”

            “That my date kind of ditched me” she looked crestfallen as she said it and bit her lip.

            Whirling away from her, Yonghwa followed his best friend out into the hallway where she was screaming at a familiar blond figure.


            “YAH KIM KIBUM! HOW DARE YOU MESS WITH MY YOUNGER SISTER?!? SHE’S AN INNOCENT GIRL THAT IS WORTH MORE THAN YOU ARE YOU’RE STUPID DINOSAUR OF A BOYFRIEND! By the way I totally ship you two and you look adorable with each other BUT THAT GIVES YOU NO EXCUSE TO USE MY SISTER AS A BEARD!!!” Taeyeon was screaming at the diva and a short dinosaur looking boy next to him.

            He winced a little. “Mianhe Taeyeon, but I couldn’t exactly ask him out, otherwise the whole school would kno—“

            “THE WHOLE SCHOOL ALREADY KNOWS!!!”

            “Oh…then… Maybe I should say someth—“ Key flinched as a very powerful little hand slapped him across the face.

            “SAY SOMETHING? SAY SOMETHING? YES YOU SHOULD SAY SOMETHING!”

            “Um Tae, could you maybe let go of Bummie?” Jonghyun stepped towards his boyfriend and immediately backed away when Taeyeon turned to glare at him. “Key, maybe we should have ditched for BoA’s concert.”

            The blond groaned from the floor. “Ya think?”

            Taeyeon slapped Kibum again as she called him all sorts of names and Yonghwa slowly walked back into the gym. Jonghyun could probably take care of it. He knew that sibling love was strong, but Key was one of the more kingka, popular, and basically untouchable guys in the school…That was a lot of stuff to go up against for hurting your younger sister. Either Taeyeon really loved her sister, really liked to beat up guys, or had anger management issues… Probably the first one, right?

 


 

            He walked back inside to see Seohyun hovering by the door. “Hey Hyun, Taeyeon’s taking care of things.”

            She nodded. “Sorry I kind of ruined the night for you and her…”

            “It’s fine, did you dance at all?”

            “Ani, I kind of ate a whole lot instead.”

            “Well you deserve to have some fun. Come on, the song’s almost over and we can fit in one more dance before the night is over.”


            Yonghwa led her to the dance floor and froze when the next song came on…a slow song. Well this was awkward.

            Blushing, Seohyun backed away. “Miane oppa, it’s just a little weird.”

            He just shook his head and walked over to her. “It’s not weird Hyun, we’ve been with each other for half of our lives, dancing’s not going to be weird after we spend every night together with sleepovers.”

             “But that’s with Unnie.” She whispered, almost regretfully, but he must’ve imagined it.

            “Nope, besides it’s one of my favorite songs. Might as well enjoy it,” he winked and wrapped his arms around her tiny waist. She tentatively slid her arms around his neck. Halfway through the song, Seohyun got a little more comfortable and leaned against him like countless other couples.

            Yonghwa grinned. She had always been one of those girls that always felt cold, but tonight, she was warming up, both literally and to him. Not trying to be a complete creep, but her slightly callused fingers had a soothing effect on his shoulders and her hair smelled really good.

            Both of the Kim sisters used to same shampoo, he had figured it out at a sleepover when he was little, but it smelled a million times better on the younger one. He also liked the fact that she fit a lot better in his arms. The height difference between Taeyeon was a little too big so he always bent over a little when standing next to her in order to make her feel better.

           It just felt more...natural.

            Pretty soon the song was over, replaced by an upbeat Michael Jackson tune, and she let go of him first. “Thanks oppa,” she whispered before hurrying away.

            Yonghwa frowned, did he do something wrong?

            A few seconds later, Taeyeon apparated to his side. “Having fun with your date?”

            He blinked at her before realizing and looking for Hyoyeon. She was having the time of her life dancing with Lee Taemin and Hoya, the three most prized dancers in school. Hilariously, they were all trying to teach Myungsoo how to moonwalk and he was failing spectacularly. “Eh, she seems to be having a good time with those other guys. So I think I’m single for the night.”

            “Me too…Can I finish that dance with you before our parents pick us up?”

 


 

            Yonghwa frowned. How could he not remember what happened after that? It had only occurred a couple years ago!

btw totally ship jongkey and Key's actually like my ultimate bias along with L from Infinite so yeah...keke on to the next chapter! which will be up in a few minutes...

- chocolate-notes :)