Papers

Winter's Photo Album

            The next day, school started with a muffled buzz. No one wanted to talk about the big elephant in the room, or lack of one. No Kim Taeyeon roaming the hallways, cheerily greeting every person that passed her. Some kids were still wearing all black, but the most surprising event to the students was seeing Jung Yonghwa and Kim Seohyun.

            And no, they weren’t holding hands yet. In fact Yonghwa hadn’t talked to Seohyun all day. The surprising thing was that they were even there. Seohyun had on a pair of glasses and was wearing her school uniform, diligently taking notes in every class.

            Yonghwa was sleeping in every class, only waking up to find a new desk to take another nap on. Everyone could tell he hadn’t gotten any sleep the night before.

            It was so strange that the two people who Kim Taeyeon affected the most, were the two that acted as if nothing was wrong. So as the day dragged on, people took their cues from these two, and it started turning into a normal school day.


            The days continued like so until the graduation came. It was a day of celebration as well as one of somberness. The principal started off with handing the first diploma to Kim Taeyeon, saying that she was worth more to the school than a sheet of attendance and grades. Her parents came forward to accept it as well as announce that they have decided to donate what would have been Taeyeon’s college fund to the school for a new arts building.

            Yonghwa clapped quietly along with everyone else. This day was one he had been waiting for about five months. The day he said goodbye to one girl, and hello to another one.

            No he wasn’t suicidal…that’s just ridiculous. Rather, he was just doing what his fate was supposed to be. He shrugged on his school jacket and quietly exited the building. One person had been missing from that assembly, and now there was going to be two.

            Minhyuk looked at him from his seat in the back with the rest of the juniors and gave him a little wave. Yonghwa nodded and softly closed the gym doors behind him.

            It was funny, the whole ceremony was for graduation and the art building, yet it was held in the gym. All because some school official had thought it was going to rain. But it was perfect weather for Yonghwa.

            It was not overly bright, sunny, and warm like the average person likes. Instead it was a misty morning, sun flickering through the low clouds. It wasn’t cold, but a cool breeze circled through the campus.

            He made his way to the art building. It wasn’t even new, they had just expanded off of the old one. But this was where he felt most at home in this entire school. Taking his guitar out from a hidden crevice he had found many years ago, Yonghwa stuffed a few papers in the pocket and walked down towards the basement.

            There were two practice rooms there, one a wide space that dancers went to while the other was a cramped space with a piano stuck in there. He heard a familiar tune playing from the small room and smiled before opening the door to the dance studio.

            It was wide open with windows facing the soccer field. He knew many soccer players and dancers both appreciated the view. But everyone was going home for the few weeks of summer break, or were never coming back.

            He collapsed beside a stack of mats and slid his guitar out. He played a few tunes before getting bored of it and stared at the mirror that took up the entire wall.

            Yonghwa had hated that mirror since the first day of high school. The day when his music teacher had obsessed over his good looks, amazing voice, instrument skills, composing skills, that he had to be good at dancing, right?

            Wrong.

            It didn’t help much that he went after a guy named Taemin and his cousin Jongin. It would have been better if he had gone after Seunghyun…

            He grabbed his guitar, made a face at the stupid mirror, and lunged at the door connecting to the piano room.

            Except it didn’t budge and he winced at the pain shooting up his arm.

            A giggle echoed from behind and a small head poked out. “I thought that was you Yong oppa.” Seohyun grinned victoriously. “You should be ashamed in yourself, sneaking up on a poor defenseless girl like that.”

            “You aren’t defenseless, you have a brain Hyun.” He grimaced as he shook his arm. “And you know how to use it.”

            “Anyways, why aren’t you at the assembly?”

            “Why aren’t you?”

            “I asked you first.”

            “…Just because.”

            “Me too.”

            “Well Hyun, I just came by to tell you that I got into the arts college I applied to.”

            “Really? That’s great oppa!” Seohyun clapped and lunged for the papers he was holding in his hand. “What does it look like?”

            She froze and he tried to swipe them away. “Hey give those back!” he complained as she easily dodged him. He could feel his face getting redder by the minute.

            “What is this? Oppa, are these for me?” Seohyun was scanning the worn pages like she would her notes before the chemistry exam.

            Yonghwa sighed as he rummaged in his case for the right ones and plucked the incriminating ones out of her hand before handing her a few different, more presentable papers. “Here’s the one for the arts school.”

            Her forehead creased into even more frowns at that. “It has my name on it. Why?”

            He cracked a smile at that. “Because I applied for you babo.”

            “I don’t understand, I still have another year to go…” Seohyun rotated the paper and held it up to the light, trying to find a way to prove that this was a hoax.

            “Hyun you have like perfect grades, you can sing, play piano, and play violin better than most of the famous first chairs out there. Do you really need a senior year?”

            She frowned. “Okay and those other papers?”

            “You’re too young to read them.”

            Her eyes were about to pop out at that. “You let me read…bad stuff?”

            “Ani…It’s just that it’s not time for you to read that yet. So do you want to go to college with your oppa next year?” His grip tightened on the handle of his guitar case as he waited.

            “I guess.” Seohyun muttered before pulling a surprised Yonghwa into a hug. “Thanks oppa, I’ll go talk to umma and appa. I’m late anyways. See you later.” She gave him a shy smile before grabbing her bag and heading out the door.

            He grinned an embarrassingly lovesick one to her back before cringing at the papers still in his hand. Sifting through the stack, he sighed in relief that he had left the most important one at home so she couldn’t have seen it. It was too early to tell her anyways. Not yet.


            Seohyun dropped her bag below the oak tree and took out the piece of paper she had slipped into her bag while Yonghwa had been looking for the college papers. She had to read it again to make sure it wasn’t that familiar dream. The one where Yonghwa wrote he loved her.

            Biting her lip, she reread it at least fifty times before she folded it neatly and put it in her bag. She had the whole summer to think about it anyways.

Hi everyone! I'm sorry about the wait (and the shortness and randomness of this chapter)...school>fics at the moment...Sadly...But yes there's one more chap to go :)

(and also would anyone be interested if i wrote another yongseo fic after i finish this one because I have this idea and I kind of finished subway so...)

Thanks for staying! I'm surprised you guys can wait this long :)

chocolate-notes :)