Final Entry

Winter's Photo Album

 

There were no pictures this time. A few stickers had been put in, dates written in, but there was only a folded piece of paper in it along with a few spare scraps of writing. He looked at the tiny notes first and realized something was weird.

            Dear Diary,

Seohyun here again! Ugh school is so annoying and there are so many piano competitions lately! But I’ll vent about that later I guess. I’m kind of mad at Taeyeon unnie right now. Being she’s gone off being all brave, noble, and is a huge big enormous babo right now! I kind of hate her for it. Just because she’s made a couple wrong choices this year, she’s gone completely mental. I did something bad first, so I guess it cancels out…kind of… I read her album, you know the one I told you was really important and I could never even touch? Well turns out, it was just something that had all of our winter memories in it. But it’s actually one for oppa. And her last entry that she wrote in yesterday…I want to rip it up to shreds. Because I’m not worth it. If oppa ever read it…SO I guess I’ll just throw it out or hide it later. Right now she’s at a party though.., She’ll probably come back drunk and wasted like usual, so I guess I’ll just practice piano tonight and go to sleep. I’ll have more than enough time to hide it tomorrow morning. Goodnight!

-       Seohyun

Yonghwa smiled at the entry, but realized when it had been written, the night of the accident. So there was something else in the book that he wasn’t supposed to read?

He opened the folded piece of paper and his eyes widened. This was…interesting.

 


 

 

I know that Yonghwa’s going to confess to me soon. It’s probably going to be in the form of a song or a poem being his usual cheesy and romantic self. But I’m going to have to deny. As much as I would love to, I know that he and Hyun are meant to be together. He may not see it yet, but my dongsaeng is the one for him. I’m too much of a sister to him and I haven’t treated him or Seohyun as well as I should have.

            How I realized this oh faithful photo album? I don’t have any pictures this year. I’ve never held off completing my entries for this long. And lately, the only pictures I seem to get is of Seohyun and Yonghwa, but there isn't anything special I feel about the new ones. I only kind of really want to get out of school and into the real world. Also those parties are kind of addicting and so much fun! And I know she’s liked him. I thought it was childhood crush like mine, ever since we had both said we liked him when he moved in. But I think mine went into friendship while hers stayed the same all the way through.

            I’ve been selfish. I found that trophy Seohyun got for piano, I can only imagine what she would’ve gotten if she had stuck with violin. Maybe I was only a kid, but what sister forces her dongsaeng to switch instruments? Maybe I should’ve been the one to switch.

            Those two are meant for each other. I’m too different. They’re both shy, but fun loving kids. They stayed true their entire lives. But now that I look back, I changed too much. I mean to be honest, I’m kind of drinking underage…But I feel so bad that Seohyun has to put up with me at school. Kim Seohyun, perfect honors student, student council president, piano prodigy, and innocent angel being the sister of crazy and wild Taeyeon. And oppa’s reputation would be ruined if I go out with him. As much as I love him, I think I love both of them too much. More like a family love which is probably greater than just love love.

I’m not worth enough for either of them. They suit each other so much more too… Yeah it’s not just a height thing, maybe I should’ve drunk more milk, but they look kinder together. So this will be the one unselfish I do. Give up my love for both because theirs will be greater.

Haha, don’t worry. I’m not going to turn suicidal or anything ;) but I want to see both of them happy, and I’m definitely not going to help that.

I found this pretty poem, I think it’ll go nicely as my last entry in the Winter/Yong oppa album, don’t you think? It doesn’t rhyme, but it’s so wintery.

Winter is much like unrequited love; cold and merciless. Your heart freezes faster than a drop of dew in December the second you realize you are alone, and will shatter at your miserable confession. It’s even worse because a cup of hot chocolate can’t even fix it.

Others enjoy it, playing in the snow while you slip on frozen paths. Huddled in front of a fireplace with their loved ones while you’re sitting outside on the sidewalk, begging for a small sign of warmth.

         There is still that sliver of hope though. The hope that spring will come again and your special someone may return your feelings. Or you may return the feelings of someone else. You may have been deluded, thinking that patches of ground were frozen and hard, but they’re actually perfect for planting your next bed of flowers. That it actually wasn't to cold to eat ice cream, or maybe you had just slept a little too late and missed the arrival of spring. There’s someone out there for everyone, if only you search hard enough.

         If love is an unnamed seed, you’re never going to know which flower you will get unless you work at it, making it grow more and more until it reaches the most beautiful stage of all. That’s why they say love blooms.

         Keke, I kind of added the last two paragraphs…That other poem would be way too depressing otherwise. Hey I’m a poet, and I know it!

         So I guess I’ll just hide this, who knows what Seohyun will do if she finds this. Goodbye my Winter Yong album. Thanks for being there!

         -Kim Taeyeon ^^

 


 

            Dear Diary,

Unfortunately, it’s the last time I’m writing in here…As soon as this is written, you’re going to go into the book and gone forever. Why? I wrote too much about unnie in here and it’s going to be too much for me to handle. Because unnie’s gone now. I guess she must’ve gone happily, right? She had fun during her last moments and everyone said she died on impact. But I miss her too much. Our whole house is too sad. If I had died, no one would’ve missed me, I’m too quiet. But unnie…Which is why oppa must never find this album. If he reads it, he might think that unnie wanted him to be with me…Kind of true, but I don’t want to be a replacement. I don’t want unnie to be forgotten. Because she was kind of mean when we were kids, but she was a good person most of the time. I know you’re going to think that I’m making all these memories going to waste, but she has so many more. I even found some hidden under my bed the other night. I found 3 books filled with me and 15 of Yong oppa. He wouldn’t miss this one, right? I don’t know what to do with you or this album. Maybe hide it? Bury it? Throw it away? I’ll come up with something soon. We’re all going to the funeral place right now. I’ll see you when I get back. I miss you unnie, I love you so much. I’m sorry oppa’s never going to see this album that you worked so hard on, but it’s for the better.

Love,

Kim Seohyun

 


 

            Yonghwa rolled over so his tears wouldn’t fall on the pages. What was it with these girls and being all noble? And were they really writing to each other and arguing over him? That was just plain stupid. He was just Jung Yonghwa, the one they had known since they were kids…

He glanced over at his window to see the dark rooms of the Kim house. “You’re not a replacement Hyun. But I don’t know what you are to me now. What do I do Tae? It feels a little weird, liking Seohyun. Maybe I have always liked her…Maybe you were just out of my league. So then what do I do now?” he whispered to the stars.

Yonghwa carefully slipped the heavy book into his bookshelf and pulled the covers up to his chin. *Now what?* he thought before drifting off to sleep.