Falling In Love?

Once Bitten, Twice Shy

 

 
When school let out, Woohyun waited faithfully at the crosswalk. He tried to act natural, but whenever someone approached, he would lose his cool and crane his neck until he saw, with disappointment, that it wasn't her.
 
Where the hell is she?
 
He glanced down the path for the umpteenth time, and finally found what he was looking for. A smile lit up his face as he watched her approaching. She was looking down, as usual. Glasses and hair hiding her face. But to Woohyun, she never looked more beautiful. His heart thumped as she approached.
 
"Hi."
 
She looked up, surprised, as if she hadn't noticed him there. Then, she frowned in recognition.
 
Silently, he took his spot next to her, and together they walked home.
 
*******
 
Yoona felt exhausted. She wasn't used to talking so much in a single day. And now, she was walking home with another kid that wouldn't leave her alone.
 
She kind of felt bad for him, walking in silence with her. But then she snapped out of it. She remembered that she shouldn't trust anyone.
 
But, this boy ended up being persistent too.
 
"Do...do you remember my name?" he tried, peeking sideways at her.
 
She frowned. "Woohyun."
 
Beside her, the boy's eyes lit up.
 
"Yes! You remember! Ayee chincha, what a relief. But, I wouldn't have been mad if you forgot. I don't think I could ever get mad at you." He smiled greasily, but Yoona just focused on the road in front of her.
 
He tried again. "Erm...thanks for letting me walk with you again today."
 
"I didn't let you," she reminded him. "You're doing it of your own accord."
 
He scratched his head awkwardly. "Haha, you're right... well, thanks for tolerating me."
 
Another rejected smile.
 
Woohyun began plucking at different things to talk about. He felt like he was talking to a wall, but somehow, it didn't faze him. He was overjoyed that she wasn't telling him to shut up and go away. He commented on anything-- on the weather, on anything that moved on the street, and on different things that he remembered about himself.
 
"Yeah, so I'm only walking home early 'cuz my tennis coach is in the hospital," he said as they reached another crosswalk.
 
"Oh, so you won't be walking home every day?"
 
"Why, would you miss me?" he joked.
 
She turned to frown at him, but as she did, she stepped off the curb and into the way of an oncoming biker.
 
"Watch out!"
 
Woohyun grabbed her and roughly pulled her out of the way. He wrapped an arm around her, but lost his balance, and fell backwards. She crashed on top of him.
 
"Ouch..." he winced, but then focused. "Yoona! Are you okay?"
 
He locked eyes with her, and they both suddenly realized that she was lying on top of him. Their faces were so close together that he was able to stare deep into her wide eyes. His strong embrace felt so warm around her.
 
"Y...Yoona?"
 
She swallowed nervously, and then after a moment of hesitation, stood up in a flash.
 
"Yeah... I'm fine," she said shakily.
 
"Good," he said awkwardly, brushing off his jacket. "Uh...Try to watch where you're going next time," he chided playfully.
 
"Mm." Yoona couldn't believe what had just happened. The rest of their walk home was tense with awkwardness. Woohyun tried to start conversation, but would trail off quickly. Yoona found herself stealing glances at her walking partner, taking in his full lips, sharp nose, the way his school jacket tightened around his sculpted arms when he walked...
 
At her front gate, she stopped and turned to him.
 
"Thank you." She looked into his eyes, and it sent his heart fluttering. "Thanks for earlier."
 
"Yeah, uh, well. See you tomorrow?" He flashed his trademark smile, and for once, Yoona felt herself blush.
 
"Ok."
 
*******
 
Sunggyu entered his room cautiously. He knew he had hell to pay from exposing Woohyun at lunch.
 
Not surprised, he found his roommate at the window. He had pulled up a chair and was staring out the blinds like a creep.
 
"Hey..." Sunggyu tried.
 
Woohyun turned, and Sunggyu braced for the worst. But to his surprise, Woohyun was all smiles.
 
"Hyung, you wouldn't believe what happened today. I think I literally fell in love," he said, excitedly launching into a recount of what happened.
 
***
 
The next room over, Hoya emerged from the shower feeling happy and refreshed. On top of his amazing day getting to know Yoona, he just had a great workout, practicing some new awesome dance moves. When he entered, Dongwoo looked up from his perch on his bed.
 
"Yo... where were you today? We missed you at lunch."
 
"Oh, you know... around."
 
Dongwoo sized him up suspiciously. "Don't tell me, you like a girl too?"
 
Hoya peeked out of his window, eyes immediately zeroing in on the open window of a simple room with a white bed, flowery rug, and small desk. He smiled when he spotted a girl sitting cross-legged on the floor, flipping through her textbooks. She twirled a lock of hair around her finger absentmindedly while she read.
 
"So?" Dongwoo pestered. "Do you?"
 
Hoya grinned. "Maybe."
 
 
---
 
 
Hoya watches her from his window, too?? What a plot twist!! Kekekeke...
 
But seriously kids, draw your blinds.