To Like Someone

Once Bitten, Twice Shy

 

 
The next day, Yoona found herself excited to go to school. She hadn't figured out how she felt about Woohyun nor Hoya, but, oddly, she looked forward to seeing them. Though it was cold, the sun was shining, coloring the sky with a beautiful blue. In spite of herself, Yoona smiled.
 
She arrived early, and as usual, found Hoya already at his seat, staring at the ground. She continued to smile as she approached, but then froze when she read his expression.
 
Something seemed... off. Like he wasn't happy. Maybe, even angry.
 
Cautiously, she took her seat. "Hi, Hoya."
 
At first, he didn't look up, or move even. Yoona frowned, waiting for him. But then, he seemed to find himself, and he met her eye with a sad smile.
 
"Annyeong. Sorry, I'm a little..." He couldn't even find the right word to describe what he was feeling.
 
Yoona was on high-alert. "Hoya, what is it?"
 
He furrowed his brow, piecing his words together. "Yoona, you know, in life... there are some things you can do, and some things you can't. And I kind of feel like I might be doing something I can't do." He looked at her, but she clearly didn't understand what he was getting at.
 
He kept on. "Well... I guess it only matters depending on what you think of it."
 
Yoona felt totally lost.
 
At that point, Hoya started rambling to himself. "Because, if you would rather him, then I have to stop this, but if you'd pick otherwise... But I wouldn't know unless you tell me, so I guess I should just ask..." He trailed off in thought, and Yoona frowned in confusion.
 
"Hoya... what are you saying?"
 
Then, he turned to her, meeting her with an eye full of resolve. For a second, he eyed her tempting lips, but then he focused.
 
"Yoona. I like you."
 
Right away, Yoona misunderstood. "I'm glad we're friends too," she said, still painfully confused.
 
"No, you're not hearing me. I like you."
 
She blinked. "What?"
 
"Don't get me wrong. I'm glad we're friends, and I want to keep being your friend. But I have to know." He arched an eyebrow. "Maybe, in time, do you want to be more than that?"
 
Yoona finally understood. fell open with shock, and she could do little but stare at Hoya.
 
A moment passed that felt like an eternity for him. Finally, she was set in motion. "I have to go... I have to think." She turned to leave, taking one last unreadable look back at him, and then walked out into the hallway.
 
He watched apprehensively. He was glad to finally tell her the truth that's been on his heart. But, he felt like he was forgetting something. Like he didn't say enough... Suddenly, he jumped up and raced after her.
 
***
 
By the time he caught up to her, she was walking briskly across the grassy knoll towards the school entrance. He ran up to her and grabbed her by the wrist.
 
She turned in surprise, but his force pulled her towards him, and she crashed into his big embrace.
 
The feeling was just the same as that one night when she cried into his chest. His strong arms caressed her back and her hair. She breathed in his scent, and held still, waiting.
 
"There's something else," he whispered into her ear, and then pulled her away to look deep into her eyes. "Whatever you decide, what I said before still stands. I'll always be here for you. Always. I want you to know that." With that, he leaned in slowly and planted a soft, meaningful kiss on her forehead. Then, without another word, he walked away.
 
 
---
 
 
Thank you for your kind words!! It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside, and pushes me to update more :)
 
Hoya was always the passionate one. The one who would say something.
 
But, do you ever try to tell someone something important, and then end up rambling incoherently? Happens to me all the time. Not good for confessing :X