Guitar Lessons - Chapter 1

Guitar Lessons (Jonghun x Seunghyun fanfic)

Guitar Lessons

 

Chapter 1

 

            “No, your fingers go there… Ugh, no. Let me help you.”

            Jonghun sat up from the stool and made his way behind Seunghyun. He wrapped his arms around him, as if giving him a hug from behind, and adjusted Seunghyun’s fingers on the guitar.

            Seunghyun’s face immediately burst red in embarrassment.

            Was he more than glad Jonghun couldn’t see his face.

            “Perfect. Now strum again,” he said, stepping away from Seunghyun to face him.

             Seunghyun’s hand would not move. When it finally gained feeling, it would not stop shaking violently. He strummed a chord. The resulting sound was that of a dying animal.

            Jonghun burst into laughter. Seunghyun glared at him through the bangs of his hair, feeling his face grow hotter.

            “Shut up, hyung,” Seunghyun said meaning to sound stern, but probably came out sounding sheepish. Jonghun attempted to stop laughing by covering it up with coughs.

            “Haha- *cough* I’m sorry. Hey, don’t be embarrassed,” he said, putting his hands on Seunghyun’s shoulders and looking into his eyes. “You’re still learning. It’s normal.”

            Seunghyun looked away. “… Okay.”

            But I’ve never gotten this embarrassed slipping up before in my life. Why is it only around you? Seunghyun thought.

            Jonghun smiled and teasingly pushed Seunghyun’s shoulders. Seunghyun couldn’t help smiling while they were putting away their guitars.

 

            Seunghyun had just moved a couple months ago from a small country town to the bustling city of Busan. So many stores, buildings, people. It was mind-boggling. He had been more than happy to have made a friend, even if he was a freshman and he was a senior, with all the excitement and busyness of moving.

            But it wasn’t like he had any trouble making friends, especially with the girls. He was prettier than many of them. He was happy to have another boy to confide his feelings to, to laugh with. Jonghun wasn’t like the girls who only cared about his looks. Jonghun cared about joking around with him and just doing what friends do.

            A couple weeks after Seunghyun had moved to Busan, Jonghun and him had been talking while walking home after school.

“So… do you like to do anything?” Jonghun had asked.

"What do you mean?”

“Like, hobbies. Interests. You’ve gotta have some.”

Seunghyun had pondered this a little bit. He could hardly remember anything; he’d been so busy trying to keep up with his new life. “Well, I really like music.”

Jonghun raised his eyebrows in intrigue. “Oh?”

“Yeah,” he said as he kicked a rock along the sidewalk. “When I listen to music, I feel like I’m in another world. Like… like I’m somewhere else where nothing bad happens, where I don’t have to worry about anything. I just feel… happy. I just love the feeling I get when I listen. I’ve always wanted to learn the guitar, but I mainly stick to singing and playing the piano sometimes.” Seunghyun stopped walking to glance up at Jonghun.

He was staring at him in marvel. Seunghyun immediately felt flustered.

Seunghyun started to scratch his head. “Sorry, that probably sounded stupid. Forget what I said,” he said with a nervous laugh.

“No, you’re wrong!” Jonghun said with such energy that Seunghyun’s eyes widened. “It’s not stupid. I feel the exact same way. About music, I mean.”

“… Really?” Seunghyun said, adrenaline now building inside him. A smile grew on his face. “I thought I was the only one.”

Jonghun grinned right back. “And I can teach you guitar if you want. I’ve been learning for a couple years, so I could show you what I know.”

            Well, Seunghyun couldn’t say no to that.

 

            The main thing he remembered about that day was how pretty Jonghun’s eyes looked when he smiled.

 

            Seunghyun had been taking lessons every week from Jonghun in the music room for a month now. He felt his skills getting better and his fingers growing used to pressing his fingers into the fingerboard of the guitar. But one thing stuck in his mind more than it should have: Jonghun. Jonghun’s face, Jonghun’s laugh, Jonghun’s touch. Even thinking about him sent a shiver through his body.

            I shouldn’t be feeling like this about a guy, he thought as he walked home without Jonghun that day. He’s a guy. I’m a guy. It’s not… right. Is it?

 

            Seunghyun finished his homework, ate dinner, brushed his teeth and went to bed.

            That night, he had a very vivid dream. Jonghun had Seunghyun pressed up against a wall, their bodies close. Seunghyun had the back of his palm against the wall, Jonghun’s hand intertwined in it.

            “To me… you’re like music,” Jonghun whispered into Seunghyun’s ear. “You make me feel happy.” He pulled away from his ear and looked at Seunghyun with his smiling eyes. Seunghyun held his gaze, feeling hot all over, and grinning back. Jonghun took a quick glance at Seunghyun’s lips, drew in his breath, and leaned towards them. Seunghyun’s heart was going to pop out of his chest.

 

            He jolted out of bed at lightning speed. He immediately touched his lips. He could feel the kiss.

            This must be what it feels like to be in love, Seunghyun thought as he threw the pillow over his head in an attempt to go back to sleep.