Why Do I Care?

The Star in My Darkness

I got home at around 3:30. Sara had to get off one stop before me, thank God.

I quickly took a shower and changed. Then I fell asleep the moment my head hit the sofa.

She had entered my dreams too.

♥♥♥♥♥♥

 

I overheard them talking to my mother.

“She doesn’t have much time.” The doctor said.

“Isn’t there anything you can do?” my mother begged. It broke my heart to hear the pleading and pain in her voice.

“We’ve tried everything. Her heart is very weak.” The doctor replied gravely.

“How long?” my mother whispered.

“I don’t know, it could happen at any time.”

I took the needle out of my arm. If I only had a limited time on this earth, I wasn’t going to spend it in a hospital. I was going to do something, make a difference in someone’s life.

♥♥♥♥♥♥

 

I woke up at around 5:30. Time for homework, I got my things and started working but my mind kept wandering to her. I wondered how she could smile so much. But there was something mysterious about her. Something behind the happiness and smile in her eyes. It was as if there was a whole other story behind them.

Why is this girl in my head so much? I shouldn’t care about her; she’s just another annoying person.

Trying to convince myself that that was true, I went back to my work.

♥♥♥♥♥♥

The next day, I got on the bus and sat by myself in the back. No one bothered me thankfully so I was able to enjoy a moment of peace.

Then we arrived at the next stop, and of course, my ‘Bus Buddy’ had to join me.

“Good morning!” she said cheerfully. How can a person be so happy?? Especially in the morning.

I didn’t answer and she sat on the seat beside me.

“How did you sleep last night?” she asked.

I didn’t answer and stared out the window.

Then I replied, “Fine.”

She nodded and played with the straps of her bag. I felt compelled to ask her how she slept, but my mind kept saying that I didn’t care, my heart told a different story. I suppose my mind is much more rational than my heart, so I went with what my mind told me.

“So, did you do the homework?” she asked, lifting her sleeve to scratch her arm.

“Yeah-” I answered, and then noticed the purpley, pink mark on her arm.

“What is that?” I pointed.

"Huh?" she looked at her arm and then quickly pulled the sleeve down. "Nothing."

“It wasn’t nothing.” I said firmly. Why did I care what was on her arm?

I pulled her sleeve up again, “What is it?”

“It’s uh-” she stuttered. “I just hurt myself by accident. Haha, clumsy me.”

I knew right away that she was lying. First, that was a lame excuse. Second, she was a horrible liar. Third, how does someone hurt themselves that badly?

“Whatever.” I turned away. She seemed a bit uncomfortable and I thought something was wrong when she stopped talking. I mean, her not talking? That’s not something you see every day, not that I had known her longer than a day.

I looked at her and she smiled, removing all traces of sorrow.

“We’re here!” she pointed at the school. We got off the bus and she walked with me to our lockers.

We got ready for class. Yes, we. She wouldn’t leave me alone. 

As we walked to CommTech she was unconsciously rubbing her arms and was unusually quiet. My mind wandered to that bruise thing on her arm. It didn’t seem like someone had physically hurt her. I mean, who punched on the elbow pit?

I didn’t ask her about it though. Why is her injury on my mind? Why do I care?

She began talking again. I knew the silence wouldn’t last long.

“So,” she said. “Did you understand the math homework?”

I didn’t answer and, of course, I ended up nodding. She took her math stuff out of her bag.

“Could you help me?” she asked, pouting a little. It was kind of cute. Did I really just think that? I must not have gotten enough sleep, I'm thinking nonsense.

I shook my head to get me to snap out of it. Then I turned back to her, “No, get it from someone else. We have these things called teachers these days. They teach young people like us.” I said sarcastically.

She turned back to her books and I guess she was trying to teach herself. Our CommTech teacher came in and assigned us some work on the computers and then proceeded to act like a lazy on his.

I watched Sara and she was doing it all wrong. She knew she was having trouble because she kept writing and erasing what she did.

After a while, I got annoyed because of how wrongly she was doing it. I kept telling myself that that was the reason I helped her, because she was doing her work so wrongly that I couldn’t bear to watch. Otherwise, why would I care?

“Oh, give it to me,” I snapped, grabbing her pencil. “Like this, you’re doing it all wrong.”

Then I showed her the correct way to do it.

“Ohhhh,” she nodded her head in understanding. “Thank you!” she exclaimed. “I would fail today’s test if you hadn’t helped me!”

“Whatever.” I mumbled. Why did I help her? Why do I care if she fails her test?

I don’t know.

CommTech ended with me still stuck in confusion.

♥♥♥♥♥♥

The day came and went. My math test was next week and while the class did theirs., I did some other work. Sara said that she thought she did well.

At the end of the day, she followed me onto the bus again. Gosh, she’s so annoying.

“Why do you follow me around everywhere?” I asked. She sat down beside me. “Why are you trying to be friends with me?”

She smiled softly but didn't answer.

When the bus started moving she asked, “Wanna play a game?”

“No.”

“Please?”

“No.”

“Pleaaassseeee.”

“Noooooo.”

“Pretty please with a cherry on top?”

“……………….. Fine.”

What the heck?! Did I just agree?! I really need to get some sleep, asap.

“Great!” she grinned. “Okay so, we’re going to make a story. I’m going to say one word, then you say another and we make a story like that, okay?”

“Whatever.”

“I’ll start. Once,” she said, expecting me to say ‘upon’.

“The.”

“The?” she tilted her head.

“End.” I finished. “Not a bad story, eh?”

She laughed, "Nope, not bad at all. You're funny, Kris."

We arrived at the neighbourhood near the hospital. This was where she had gotten off yesterday.

But she didn’t move.

“Isn’t this your stop?” I asked, nudging her.

“No.” she replied.

“But this is where you got off yesterday.” I pointed out.

“I know.” Was all she said.

Someone’s hiding something~

But I don’t care right?

 

♥♥♥♥♥♥

Sara told me that her home was one stop after mine. I thought about her as I changed into clothes for my new job. She was quite interesing evn though I'd knoly known her for two days.

I walked into the book store I know worked at. Yes, a bookstore. Very lame, but no annoying, irritating teenagers would come here. After four hours of work, I decided to walk home. The book store wasn’t very far from my house and the weather was nice.

I decided to take the long way; through the park, it was very beautiful. The sun went down quicker now so night came pretty fast.

As I was walking, I saw a familiar figure in the evening light.

No way, Sara?

I didn’t show myself for 2 different reasons that my conscience and my mind told me. I believed my mind; after all it was more rational right?

Conscience: I want to know what she’s up to and see if she’s okay.

Mind: I don’t care.

Then my conscience comes along and says, ‘Then why are you hiding if you don’t care?’

Shut up. Stupid conscience.

I watched her. She sat on the bench and just stared at the moonlight and stars. The stars glimmered and made the night shine with their luminous light. The moon, big and round, helped light the night up and gave the whole scene a glow.

She etched something into the wooden bench with something I couldn’t see. I wonder what she wrote.

I mean, I don’t care. Nope, I don't care.

 

A couple of minutes later, I was sitting down next to her. I have no idea how I got there.

She jumped in surprise as she looked up at me. Then she smiled, and it looked even nicer in the moonlight.

“Hello,” she greeted, her skirt covering up what she wrote when she crossed her legs. In her hands was a star necklace, I guess that’s what she used to write on the bench.

 

She looked at my uniform, “You work?”

I nodded. She leaned in to look at the uniform closely. “At the book store?” she laughed.

I nodded again, giving her a queer look, “Why?”

“You don’t seem like the book store type.” She tilted her head and examined me.

“I like it there. It’s quiet, no annoying people.” I said rubbing my pants. “Like you.”

She grinned and punched my arm playfully. I glared at her, “Don't touch me.”

She ignored what I said and stood up.

“I should go now. It was nice seeing you, Kris.” She said. “Good night.”

I remained sitting and gave her a small wave. That's the first time I returned a greeting from someone.

I felt like I should drop her off as I watched her retreating figure. Just as she was about to become less than a shadow, I stood up and held my hand out.

But I didn’t go after her. Why do I care if she goes home in this cool weather alone?

Don’t even say anything, conscience.

You do.

I turned back to the bench and looked at what she had written on it.

I want to make a difference in someone’s life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello~!

I said I'd update yesterday, but I fell asleep D:

So sorry  (:

Anyways, please comment~! Byeeee~~~

PS I am way too excited for EXO's comeback D: