Together

The Star in My Darkness

Me and Sara were eating lunch on Tuesday at our usual spot.

"How many countries have you visited before? Like for vacation or something." Sara asked me randomly.

"Uhh, not many. I haven't gone on any vacations." I answered. "I was born in China, but moved to Canada for a couple of years. Then back to China and now here."

Her eyes rounded in surprise, "You lived in Canada?"

I nodded.

"You can speak English then?" She asked in perfect English.

"Yeah. I lived in Canada for like 8 years." I said in English. "What about you? You lived there?"

"Yup. For 9 years I lived in Toronto." She replied. "You?"

"Vancouver." I said.

"Did you like it there?" She asked.

I nodded. "I visited Toronto once. There was so much snow and it was freeeezzzing. There's barely any snow in BC, but the weather changed a lot there."

She laughed, "Yeah. But Toronto's a lot of fun."

We continued to talk in English about our memories in Canada until the end of lunch. Then we both headed off to our different classes.

♥♥


Sara didn't have time to follow me to work today, she was going to spend some time with her little sister, Mina. Sara seems really close to her, seeing as she hangs out with her so often.

I decided to go to work early and get off early while the sun is still up, so I decided to leave for work at 3:30.

I informed Mr. Park and began my shift. Blah blah blah, sorting books, blah blah blah, adding price tags to books, blah blah blah, shelving books.

I'm really starting to dislike books.

Time did not fly by, and my shift ended after what felt like forever. I didn't want to take the bus home so I walked, it was cool but sunny. My kind of weather.

As I was passing a street corner, I saw Sara at one of those street carts that sold cute stuffed animals. She was beside a little girl who I presumed was Mina. I didn't see Mina's face, her back was turned to me and she was choosing a stuffed animal. She pointed to a medium-sized stuffed penguin, Sara paid for it and gave it to her. Mina jumped in glee and held the penguin close to her.

I was pretty far from them, but even if I was on Mars, I'd be able to see the smile on Sara's face as she watched her sister. The twinkle in her eyes, the happy smile on her face gave away the fact that she was more than happy when her sister was.

And that made me happy too. Without noticing, I began to softly smile as well as I turned the corner.

 

♥♥

“Let’s go back to that garden!” Sara exclaimed Wednesday after school. We were walking on the sidewalk to the bus stop.

“The one I showed you?” I asked.

She nodded, “Come! Take me.”

I shrugged, “Whateveerr.”

“Yippee!” she jumped in joy. And of course, she tripped over.... well, nothing. And obviously, I steadied her.

“Oops, hehe.” She rubbed the back of her head. I thumped her forehead, “Why don’t you cheer less? Then your chances of falling would decrease as well.”

“There’s nothing wrong with cheering!” she huffed, and walked faster.

“Slow down!” I yelled. “You might trip over air again!”

“It’s possible, okay!” she yelled back. I grinned, and caught up with her to the bus stop.

“How is it possible to trip over air?” I asked her when we scanned our cards and sat in our usual seats.

“It’s not actually tripping over air.” She began to explain. “My foot just doesn’t move from the ground for some odd reason but my other foot does and that results in one foot moving when the other isn’t and I think that the other foot is moving but it’s not so I trip.”

I raised an eyebrow, “Have you ever taken basic grammar lessons?”

“I only use proper grammar for school work.” She smiled.

“Uhuh. Anyways, your explanation for tripping over ‘air’ makes you sound stupid cuz you don’t even know if your foot left the ground or not.”

She pouted, “Hey! It’s not my fault!”

“Whatever.”

We arrived at our stop and got off the bus.

“Which way was it again?” Sara scratched her head.

“This is why I am in charge of direction.” I rolled my eyes and started walking towards the garden. She hurried along behind me.

When we arrived Sara was as amazed as she had been when I first brought her here.

“I really like this place.” She smiled. “I want to bring Mina here! She would like it a lot too.”

She walked around some more and I followed her.

“These are my favourite flowers!” she gently picked one up.

It was a violet; Sara held it in her hand and continued walking.

“Do you really like it here that much?” I asked her.

“Yeah, I love flowers and nature.” She replied, smelling the flower.

We spent some more time in the garden and it began to get dark so we headed home.

“In math-” Sara began but was cut off when a bunch of rowdy teenagers came by and knocked her to the ground. “Ah!”

“Yongguk hyung!” one kid yelled. “You dropped a girl!”

“Sorry!” the guy who seemed to be leading the group yelled. The boy, who looked about a year younger than us but was pretty tall, bowed and said, “Sorry!” and he ran off.

“Aish, not even apologizing for himself.” I muttered. I bent down, “You okay?”

Sara nodded and I helped her up. There was a big scratch on her knee and it was bleeding.

“You’re bleeding.” I pointed out.

“Oh, I am?” she looked at it and blinked, “I’m sure it’ll stop soon.”

I rolled my eyes, “So we’re just going to let you walk around with a bloody leg?” I took an old, but clean, rag out of my bag and wrapped it around her leg.

“Thank you.” She smiled.

“Yeah yeah.” I muttered and continued walking.

She bid me goodbye when it was my stop, “See you tomorrow!”

“Do you want me to drop you off?”

“No.” she shook her head, “I can go. Bye!”

I raised my hand a bit and did what was supposed to be a wave, and left.

But I made sure to text her and tell her to text me when she got home. 

♥♥


The week dragged on and finally it was the end of a Friday school day.

"Money, love, fashion, fame, and all that's in between." Sara sang Neverland as we headed out the front doors of our school.

"Let's go to a cafe!" She exclaimed.
"No."
"Please?"
"No."
"Pleeaassee?"
"Nooo."
"Please?" She asked again.
I sighed, "Fine." I always agree, I'm getting way too soft.

 She took us to a cafe near our school. We sat near the back by a window.

"I come here with my sister a lot. She loves it here." Sara said as we waited for a waiter to arrive. "She looovvess vanilla shakes."

"Hello, what would you like to order today?" A waitress appeared with a notepad and pencil.

"A chocolate milkshake, please." Sara smiled.

"And for you, sir?" The waitress asked me.

"I don't want anything." I said bluntly.

"He'll have an iced tea." Sara said.

"I said I don't want anything." I said. I tried to kick her under the table, but missed and hurt my foot against her chair.

The waitress looked confused and I tried to correct the order, but Sara kicked me before I could. She didn't miss.

"That'll be it, thank you." Sara flashed her a smile. The waitress uncertainly bowed and left.

"Yah, I told you I don't want anything." I said in an annoyed manner.

Sara shrugged, "I didn't listen."

A grin tugged on my lips and I tried to resist, but I couldn't. I guess she's learned some smart talk from me.

When the waitress arrived with our drinks, Sara immediately picked up her milkshake and sipped on it happily. I didn't touch the iced tea, "You drink it since you ordered it."

She shook her head, "I don't like iced tea."

"And what made you think I did?!" I demanded.

She shrugged again, "I just thought you would. I didn't think you'd like warm tea....."

I remained quiet. Okay, so maybe she was right. I do like iced teas.

“Go on, drink it.” She said and pushed it in front of me.

Grudgingly, I took a sip and the cold drink and it refreshingly slid down my throat.

There was a newspaper on the table and I took a peek at it. The head article was about a man who had stabbed his son. The son was 10.

Some world huh, where you can’t even feel safe in your own house.

“Look at this.” I gave the newspaper to Sara. “Wonderful world we have.”

She scanned the article and frowned, “That is really sad. Poor kid must be scarred.”

Then she flipped the pages and showed me another article, “But look at this. A man surprised his son at his graduation ceremony after almost 7 years of being in the military. That’s really sweet.” She flipped threw it some more, “And look at this. A 19-year-old organized a whole charity by himself, and he donated all the money to a seniors home.”

“What’s your point? There are still turds like the son-killing man out there.” I said bluntly.

“Yeah, there are. There always will be. But there are much more good people out there. Trust me, Kris. You’re going to find so many nice people in your life that will make such a profound impact on it. Just open your heart a bit more, it’s not that hard. There are lots of people that will be there for you.” She said.

“I’m not that easy to get along with. No one would want to, and neither do I. I don’t like getting close to people. They leave me, they betray me. It’s too much.” I whispered.

“Give it a try, Kris. Not all people will betray you.” She said. Then she looked down and murmured, “Or leave you.”

I shrugged, “People like to do that to me a lot.”

She suddenly looked up and said, “I have to go. I’ll see you tomorrow, Kris. Remember not all people are bad in this world.  Just give them a chance, please.” She whispered and walked out, slapping a couple of bills on the counter.

Why is she so determined on persuading me to look at the world differently? Is she some sort of preacher for wise lessons?

Confused, I went home. She looked a bit troubled; I guess I’ll just have to confront her about it tomorrow.

♥♥

Narrator POV

She just wanted him to open up so that he could be there for others, and so that others could be there for him. So that he wouldn’t feel alone, so that he would have people to trust. She wanted him to get the kind heart inside him to come outside and show the world who Kris Wu was. She wanted to him to be the kind, trusting person he was and not the locked up one he pretended to be.

She wanted to make a difference.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello~!

As promised, I updated (:

I really don't know what to name this chapter, and as I'm typing this I'm trying to think of a title.

It's going to be lame, I know it, so sorry.

I was going to name it 'Difference' then I saw chapter 8 already took that title so...... X

ITS SPRING BREAKKKK, YIPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

And I didn't get any homework(:

Except one subject. You'd expect me to get homework for math or something.

But no, hospitality. Isn't that weird?

Whatever, it's not much I just have to write down a method for donuts~! We made them in class and they were pretty good (:

Okay, that's it~! BYEBYEEEEEE

Comment&Subscribe

(I'm still trying to think of a title.... GAH! Update is being delayed cuz of a stupid title -_-)

(I thought of it....... omg..... so lame -.- sorry, next chapter's title will be better)