His Past

The Star in My Darkness


There he was, standing there with an un-amused expression on his face. My face contorted into surprise and disgust.
 
He looked up at me, “Son, let’s talk. I knew you wouldn’t take your flight and come home. So I took a plane here yesterday night.”
 
I scoffed and raised an eyebrow, “Well, you’re wasting your time.”
 
He casually strolled into my apartment. I grew irked and slammed the door shut. Why was he just casually walking in here as if we were on good terms?
 
He sat down and made himself comfortable on my couch. I was getting angrier by the second, how could he just come in here and act as if everything was normal? As if he hadn't ruined my life?
 
"What do you want?" I asked through gritted teeth.
 
He smiled and I wanted to puke, "Come, sit." He patted the seat beside him. I ignored his hand and went to the kitchen to grab a chair. I carried it to the living room and placed it far away from him, this is where I will sit. I sat down in a rebelling way and looked out the window.
 
"I want you to come to China." My dad stated.
 
"You've mentioned that already." I rolled my eyes, "And I've said my answer."
 
His face became stern, "You cannot say 'no' to me. You're coming with me. Now get up and pack your bags quickly, our flight is at 9:00 and we have to be at the airport by 7:30. It's almost 6:30, you should hurry."
 
"No." I crossed my arms and gave him an 'I-dare-you-to-try-and-make-me' look.
 
His face grew red with anger, "Go! I am your father; therefore you have to listen to me. I will say it one more time, go pack your bags and suitcases."
 
"No." I said stubbornly. "I don't want to."
 
"Why?!" He threw his arms in the air. "Why do you want to stay here?!"
 
At that moment, my phone vibrated; indicating that I had a text. It was on the seat beside my dad. The screen flashed and Sara's name appeared on the screen.
 
My father's eyebrows flew to his forehead, and then he spoke, "Is this why you want to stay here?"
 
I didn't answer and turned away. You wanna make assumptions ? Go ahead. You're really good at them.
 
"Look Yi Fan, there are lots of nice girls in China; I could introduce you to many."
 
Okay, ew.
 
"She's probably a poor girl who wants to use you. These kinds of girls are no good. Trust me; she's probably a dirty, disgusting, no good . Someone who's only good at making trouble and being a rude, despicable child. China has nice girls, fit for your status and class."
 
That did it right then, it’s one thing to assume things about me, but someone whose name you only know? Moreover, Sara?
I snatched my phone and put it in my pocket.
 
"Leave." I pointed to the door, my finger twitched. I was on my last nerve.
 
"Not without you." He said. "Go pack your bags."
 
"I told you I'm not leaving!" I yelled, standing up. "Go away, now."
 
"You do not tell me what to do, young man." My father said threateningly.
 
"Neither do you." I said simply. "Do you know what you've done to my life? You've been controlling my life and you've only done damage to it. I don't want to see you.
 
"I know I've made a few mistakes, but I'm here to fix them-"
 
"A few?!" I roared, tears forming. "Do you see me?! Do you see this?!" I pointed at myself. "I'm a freakin' monster! I have a heart of stone and ice, I don't trust people, I’m the rudest person alive! You did this! You ruined me! I'm a locked up jerk and I have no respect for anyone or anything! Why? Because all my childhood memories are lies. Because my childhood left too many holes in my heart. Holes you created." I whispered, and sank back into my seat.
 
"You're coming with me." He said, completely ignoring everything I told him. "If you don't, I'll cancel your bank account and you won't have anything to live off of. Let's see what your dear friend, Sara, will do when she finds out you have no money."
 
I looked up at him and gave him what I hoped was a smirk, "Go right ahead. I haven't used a single cent of it. I have a job, I work for my living. I don't need your money. I worked in China too, that's how I got this apartment. I have never used the money you gave me, and I never will."
 
He was speechless. I smirked again, "Why? Are you worried that people will gossip about your 'son' who works for his money? That's what you care about right? What other people think? And your money? Not to mention your oh-so-fine reputation?"
 
"Come with me!" He yelled; I had struck a nerve. One point for me.
 
"No. I don't want to, you can't make me."
 
He grabbed my arm. I stared at him dangerously, "Don't touch me."
 
He pulled me, "Come."
 
I pulled away and snarled, "No! I'm not coming! You can't make me!"
 
My father was fuming now, "Listen, young man. You're coming with me. I have plans for you. You are coming with me to study in China and become fit to start your own business to combine with mine."
 
I stood up, I've had enough of this, "If you won't leave, I will." And I slammed the door shut. Tears were forming again, nice and fast.
I can't believe I thought he would come to reconcile with me or realize his mistakes. He only cares about himself, why did I think there was even a slim chance he would care about me? He only cares about his business and himself. Always has, always will.
 
I walked out the front doors of the apartment building and the cold air of this world hit me like a slap in the face.
 
The world is cruel, full of cruel people and cruel things.
 
I didn't know where I was going but I just went with where my feet took me.
 
I found myself in the park near Sara's house. Why was I here?
 
"Kris?" And as if my heart's wish was granted, she appeared beside me.
 
Funny, we run into each other a lot. We both seem to like taking walks and getting lost in our thoughts.
 
I looked at her and her eyes widened. I guess she saw emotion in my eyes, something I never showed, let alone in front of someone. I looked away.
 
"What happened?" She asked, pure worry in her voice. "Come here, sit." She took my hand gently and sat me down on a bench.
 
"Don't you have somewhere to be?" I asked in a dry voice.
 
She shook her head, "I was just walking around." She watched me uneasily. I didn't say or do anything.
 
I thought back to what had just happened in my apartment. How he tried to lie to me like he did when I was a child. My whole life had been a lie. Just thinking about it brought tears to my eyes.
 
Sara was still staring at me, worry written on her face.
 
Out of nowhere, a tear trickled down my face.
 
fell open, "K-Kris."
 
"I hate this world. I hate what it did to me; I hate what I've become." I whispered.
 
"Kris...." She said softly, rubbing my arm.
 
“My father told me that my birth mother left me when I was born. I believed him, I believed that my mother left me and that I was an accident.” I don’t know what caused this, but I began to tell her everything. “So I lived without a mother for a while. Then my father married another woman. She was my step-mom and I loved her from the beginning, we got along so well. She was the one person in the world who I was close to. I had never been very close with my dad, but in my heart I always thought that he did love me and that he did care about me.” I let out a dry laugh, “That was one heck of a lie. One day, I was supposed to take an entrance exam to a private academy. But before I could take it, I fell down a whole flight of stairs and injured almost every part of my body. I couldn't take the exam, and that was the only day I could take it for admission. He was so disappointed. If I had gotten into that academy, I would have been guaranteed success and more importantly, people would talk about how his 'son' went to a private academy. Instead of even asking if I was okay, or even showing a flicker of worry in his eyes, all he did was yell at me for being clumsy and ruining my future- his rep actually.” I closed my eyes and then opened them again before continuing, “That was the day I realized my father didn't care about me. The only reason he kept me and didn't give me to an orphanage was because I could help make his business big as an heir.” I stopped for a while. This was the first time I was revealing my thoughts out loud, and it wasn’t easy.
 
She didn’t pester me to talk, instead she patiently waited.
 
“My step mom took care of me; she told me that she loved me.” I scoffed, “Then she decided to leave when I was 14. And you know what’s funny?” I said, tears ready to fall. “Two days before she left me, she told me that she would always be there for me no matter what. And that she would never leave me. Pure bull. She lied to me, she told me she would never leave me, but she did. Why? She said she couldn’t handle my father anymore and had done what she came to do. I didn’t know what that meant until,” I swallowed. “Until I found out that my ‘step mom’, was my actual mother. So first she left me when I was born, then she left me again after she spent 8 years with me 6 years after I was born. At first, I thought there might be something up, that she might have had to leave me. But no, there was some sort financial agreement between my mom and dad, the people I'm supposed to call my parents. My whole life was a lie, I thought people cared about me, but in reality they didn't. That's when I turned into this....... Cold-hearted person who doesn't trust no one. And it’s all his fault, he's lied to me more times than you can count, and he's the reason I have so many scars. I didn't know who to trust, so I trust no one. Once you've been lied to multiple times, you just stop trusting people. If you can’t trust your parents, you can’t trust anyone.” I whispered, finishing my long story that she probably didn’t care about. I mean, why would she?
 
Because she’s Sara, that’s why.
 
Sara looked like she was going to cry, but I nudged her, "Don't give me pity, I don't need it. I just poured my whole heart out; things couldn't get any more embarrassing."
 
"Why are you suddenly so sad about your past?" She asked, ignoring what I said.
 
"Cuz he came to my apartment today and tried to get me to go to China with him. He's been bugging me since yesterday.”
 
dropped again.
 
"Yeah." I said. "And he tried to tell me he cared about me; I believed it when I was a kid. I believed him when he said lots of people love me, I believed him when he said no one would hurt me. I was an idiot to believe him. But then again, he was my dad, I had to believe him."
 
Sara looked at me, empathy in her eyes, "Not all people in this world are bad."
 
I laughed dryly again, "Yeah, but I've been surrounded by people who've betrayed, lied, and left me. That's the permanent impression I have of this world. If you can't trust your 'family', who exactly can you trust?"
 
She remained quiet, "You've just had it a bit hard. Trust me, it's not that hard to smile and appreciate the world."
 
"Yeah, but it's hard for me." I whispered. "My mom left me, my dad was never with me, and the amazing childhood I thought I had, hadn't even been true. I could never trust anyone because I was always deceived, people only wanted to come near me for money. It's so hard for me to trust people."
 
"You can change that though." She told me. "All people aren't bad, you will meet horrible people, but there are far more nice people. You just need to find them and let your trust become something that they can have."
 
"I haven't given my trust to anyone for a long time. People seem to enjoy abusing it." I said. "Except you." I added quietly.
 
That's when I realized that I had -somehow- become attached to Sara and that I could trust her.
 
-Narrator POV-

*Everyone has a sad story.* Sara thought.


"I haven't given my trust to anyone for a long time. People seem to enjoy abusing it." he said. "Except you." He then added softly.

Sara gulped and avoided his eyes, *That’s not good……*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello~!

How are you all? Good? Good (:

I don't really have much to say right now.... hm..... weird.

Well this author's note was pointless, but whatever~!

Byyeeee~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment~~~~

PS I FINSIHED SCHOOL 2013  AND OMG ASDFGHJKL;' *dazed*