Reminiscing

The Star in My Darkness

The keychain was clutched tightly in my hand as I looked away from the letter. My eyes wandered to the bench.

I want to make a difference in someone's life.

My free hand gently traced the engraving she had made a couple of weeks ago.

She wouldn't be able do that again, she wouldn't be able to do ANYTHING anymore.

I looked back to her letter. She had had a heart disease, she had been a sick person when she was alive.

I realized that I could have put the pieces together myself.

The hospital stop. She must have had to go to the hospital all those times.

And what about that time at the bookstore?

She walked after me, “I came to-”

But she stopped mid-sentence as I walked on. I waited for her to finish but when she didn’t, I turned around, “What-”

I saw her with a weird look on her face. She was leaning a bit forward and her hand was on her chest. What is she doing?

I think she was trying to get a sound to come out of , but all I heard was a faint and weak “ahhh”. She was in pain.

I rushed to her side, “W-What’s wrong? Are you okay? What happened?”

After a couple of seconds she blinked, and straightened up. Then she looked at me and smiled, but I could tell she was trembling.

“I’m fine, I just zoned out for a bit.” She said, moving her hand.

 She must have had some sort of attack.

I got off the bus at the hospital and saw Sara removing something from her wrist and throwing it in the trash, an unreadable expression on her face. Why's she near the hospital anyway?

She must have been getting rid of a hospital wristband patients wear.

The phone call.

 

“Uh, Mr. Park?” I knocked on the close door once.

I heard him talking on the phone, so I decided not to barge in.

“Oh my, that is really serious. And they can’t do anything?” he asked the person on the other end of the phone.

“How long?” pause. He kissed his lips in a sad manner, “My my, that is very sad. I hope the best for you and your family. I really do.”

He paused again, “I’ll see you tomorrow then. Goodbye.” He hung up and then called, “Yes? Come in.”

I opened the door and bowed at him.

“Ah, yes Kris.” He nodded. “Sorry about that. One of my good friend’s daughter has a heart problem and it seems as though she is going to die soon. It’s quite sad and the family is doing anything to find a way to cure her. Such a bright, nice young girl whose life has to end so quickly. She’s only in grade 12, it’s heartbreaking to hear about a situation like that. ” He said sadly.

It was. Dying is one thing. But knowing you’re going to die? And at any moment? Especially at that age? Man, she must be a brave girl.

She was that brave girl………

Kris, you are one dense idiot.

I ran my hand through my hair as I stood up, shoving the key chain in my pocket.

How could someone like her die?! How?! Why would the universe take someone like her from this world? The kind of person this world desperately needs.

Just another reason why this world is piece of .

Cruel.
Unfair.
Mean.
Heartless.
Full of lies, betrayal, and abandonment.

I shook my head as I looked back at her letter, walking aimlessly and reading bits of it.

I assume you know I'm dead right now.

No , sherlock. But I still smiled bitterly at how lightly she was taking it. It was just like her to do that. Part of me was annoyed that she was taking death lightly. The other half didn't mind, that was who she was and part of the reasons why she was so loveable.

And then you came along, Kris. Remember?

How could I forget?

You helped me pick my papers up. I knew you were a nice person and as I got to know you better, I knew the kind and compassionate Kris was mostly hidden. But you know what got to me most? When I looked into your eyes, I saw emptiness and loneliness. Did you know that? Your eyes don't show coldness like you want them to, they tell me a completely different story.

Wow.
She's the only one who’s told me that. She's the only one that could see that. She's the only one who's figured me out like a difficult puzzle, she can read me like I'm the easiest book alive.

Oh, don't misunderstand me, Kris. I wasn't using you or meant any bad intentions. I really wanted to help you (not that there's anything wrong with you, I just.... Oh just keep reading -_-)

Oh, please. If you told me you hated me, I wouldn't believe it. You’re too nice to hold hard feelings against someone.

Anyways, you must be tired of me by now, huh? Good thing I'm gone ;)

No. No, I'm not. You can come back. You can come back right now, I wouldn't mind.

But that's not possible, is it?

Its 7:30 right now, I feel kind of weak. Is this what dying is like? Hmmm.

How do I know I'm about to die? I just do, it's my time to leave this world.


Why must you talk like that? Why?

Oh! In the envelope, I've left a present for you. I hope you use it well and remember me (:

I've only known you for a short time Kris, but I have to say you were the bestest friend I could have ever asked for. I'm really glad we became friends, thank you for making the last weeks of my life, one of the best (:

And, I'm sorry. The reason I left the cafe yesterday was because we were on the topic of people leaving you. And the guilt just took over.


Sorry?! You have nothing to be sorry for. Nothing.

I was touched though, she said that I was her 'bestest' friend she could have asked for. Not many people have said that about me. Actually, I never gave them a chance to become my 'bestest' friend.

I'm feeling tired now, I think I'll give this letter to Mina now. Time to call it a day (or life LOL haha! Get it? My little death joke (: )

The little smile on my face fell. Her death jokes did not amuse me.

Once again, thank you so much! Your friendship meant a lot to me.

'Your friendship meant a lot to me.'
No, it's your friendship that meant a lot to ME.

Always look on the bright side of things, don't let the bad ones bring you down. Life is what you make it, don't put boundaries on yourself.

I sighed at this part. Could I really do that?

I closed the letter and walked back to the hospital. I have no idea what time it is, it's probably late.

Now that I had read her letter, I had to see her. I had to see if she was okay.

The walk seemed to take forever. But finally, I arrived at the hospital. The big clock at the front said that it was 10:47. I trudged into the elevator and to the 4th floor. I took a deep breath and entered the room she was in.

She was still lying there, just like before.

"Are you okay, oppa? Why are your eyes red? Is that water on your face? Why did you leave before? Are you okay?" The same small voice asked me. I jumped again. How come I never notice Mina sitting there? She was clutching a stuffed penguin. The one Sara had bought her the other day.

I nodded slightly, "Where's your mom?".

"She went to get food." Mina answered.

"Why aren't you asleep? It's late." I said, sitting on the chair beside her and avoiding looking at Sara's face.

"I'm waiting for eonni to wake up. She's been sleeping for so long, and I won’t be able to sleep without seeing her and making sure she’s okay." She hopped off the chair and shook Sara's body, I flinched. I could tell right away that she couldn’t last a day without seeing Sara.

"Unnie, wake up. You said you needed to rest for a long time, not that you were going to rest forever! Unnie, wake up please." She shook the cloth.

I closed my eyes and then pulled her back gently. She rested her head on my arm and a tear went down her cheek.

She straightened up and wiped her face, "Unnie made me promise not to cry, I can't disappoint her! She's done so much for me."

She's done so much for me too......

"She'll wake up soon, right oppa?" She blinked up at me.

I didn't answer again and stood up. I forced myself to look at her face.

She was pale and to an outsider, she would have looked unrecognizable.

But she was my best friend, and I would recognize her if she had inflated into a fat lump and was covered in facial hair.

Her cheeks had gone in and she looked skinnier than ever.

Her expression though..... She looked so peaceful. Like she had been ready to die, like she was in absolutely no pain.

That relaxed me a bit.

But she was dead. Nothing changed that. She left me.......

But could I be mad at her? No.

"I think unnie might be cold. This blanket is so thin! She has to rest properly so that when she wakes up, she's all better and never has to go to a hospital again! A warm blanket is the way to start." Mina nodded and looked through the closets for a blanket, putting the penguin beside Sara.

I touched Sara's face with my hand, she was cold. My thumb passed over her colourless cheeks.

She really was dead.

My hand dropped to my side.

"Here, unnie. Stay warm!" Mina had found a blue blanket in one of the closets and put it on the bed. She began unfolding it and tried to cover Sara, but struggled because it was so big. I took two ends of it and put it over Sara's body.

Mina patted the ends and smiled up at me, "Thank you, oppa! Now unnie will be warm when she wakes up!"

I weakly smiled, I couldn't tell the innocent child Sara wasn't going to wake up. I didn't even know if I could say it.

Then she looked sad, "I hope she wakes up soon." She whispered.
I looked away and swallowed.

“I think I should go now.” I said, walking to the door.

“Wait!”

I looked back.

“What’s your name?” she blinked.

A corner of my lips went up, “Kris. My name is Kris.”

“I’m Mina! Unnie’s little sister.” She smiled. “When unnie wakes up we should all go out for ice cream! I’ll tell her you came by. Oh, and you’re all wet. I don’t think unnie would like that, you might catch a cold! Take a shower and change your clothes, otherwise unnie will be mad.”

“Yeah, okay.” I whispered.

“Bye oppa! I hope I see you soon.” She waved. “I’ll take good care of unnie! She’ll probably be awake by tomorrow, right? I’ll let you know! Bye!”

I waved back and then got out of that oxygen-deprived room fast. Such a sweet child……. I did not want to be the one to tell her Sara wasn’t going to wake up (partly because I don’t want to believe it). She’ll figure it out soon enough, right?

I walked out of the hospital. Did I feel like going home? No. The park? Definitely not.  

So I just wandered around the streets, trying not to think about reality. I looked up at the sky, there were no stars.

I looked down again, not being able to look at the starless sky. If Sara was alive, I’m 100% sure there would be one star in that sky.

I stepped on an old newspaper; I picked it up and looked at the headline, ‘Tragedy Hits the Halls of Woonam High School.’ The article was about a shooting that had happened there. Only one girl died, the girl that had been organizing a huge charity for senior citizens.

I threw the paper on the ground and stepped on it.

Why? What’s wrong with his world we call home?

The people that bring out the best in us have to leave, the innocent ones are robbed of their innocence, the ones that make changes in our lives -this world- have to die.

Why?

I took Sara’s letter out of my pocket and skimmed through it again. All she wants is for me to change my opinion of this world, to change my attitude towards it.

That's the one wish I want to be granted in my death.

Well Sara, I'm not so sure if it can be granted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Helloooo~!

How's everyone doing? Good? Goooood.

Cuz I caught a cold again~!

Isn't life just a bucket full of stars?

LOLOLOLL, GET IT? STARS? LOLLLLLLLLLLLL

Cuz that title... star in my darkness... LOLLL... no? Okay, sorry.

I really love Mina, I was looking for the perfect picture of her, but I couldn't find the perfect one -_- Well, I did but she was too young T_T

So let's just imagine our own cute little Mina~!

One more chapter left guys~ I wonder if Kris will change or not.

Just kidding, I already know. Deja vu.

Well, all will be revealed in the next chapter~!

See ya~!

PS this chapter wasn't sad was it? It wasn't supposed to be sad, it was supposed to be more of a 'remembering sara and her amazingness' kind of thing.