The Day I Met Her

The Star in My Darkness

I remember the day I met her. I’d never met a person that could smile so much until I met her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
I got off the bus that took me to my new school. It was my first day here, I’m the new transfer student from China. Woopdeedoo.
 
I walked in and –obviously- people starting staring and talking immediately. Boys gave me reproachful and judgemental looks because I was much taller than them. Girls gave me googly eyes and did their mandatory ‘girl-gossiping-about-the-new-guy’. The normal.
 
I ignored all of them and found the main office. The lady at the front desk smiled up at me. Ugh, smiling.
 
“You’re the new transfer student?” she asked.
 
“Yes.” I answered.
 
​"Wu Yi Fan?” she asked, looking at her computer.
 
My heart turned cold, “It’s Kris. Kris Wu.”
 
“Ah, yes.” She nodded. “A name change, I’m sorry.”
 
If you were sorry, you wouldn’t have done it.
 
She took out my timetable and a booklet. She handed them to me.
 
“Welcome to Kyunggi High School! That is your timetable and the booklet is a little bit of information about our school. We hope you enjoy studying here and take advantage of our many learning opportunities.” She smiled again. Ew.
 
I didn’t say anything and just walked out. I looked at my timetable to see my locker number, 2523, so it was upstairs. I went upstairs and found my locker; it was in the middle of the hallway. Great, right where people will bump into me.
 
There was a girl there; it looked like she was organizing her locker. I didn’t pay much attention to her and opened mine. I took my things out of my bag and put them inside. It wasn’t much, just a couple of empty binders.
 
The girl beside me was a real klutz. She dropped her whole binder and clearly it was unorganized. None of her papers were in the binder holes which caused all of them to fly everywhere and scatter all over the floor. She let out a frustrated sigh and began picking them up. I didn’t bother helping her; it was her own fault for being so unorganized and then acting like a klutz.
 
She silently picked them up and after a while, I felt the need to help her too.
 
Why am I helping her? I don’t know, but I am.
 
“Thank you.” She smiled after I handed them to her. It was a breathtaking smile, one of the nicest I’d ever seen. Actually to be honest, I’d never seen a nice smile. Hers was the first one I thought was nice.
 
I didn’t reply and turned away. She gave me a peculiar look but didn’t say anything else and continued doing what she was doing.
 
The bell rang and I mentally sighed. The girl collected her things and smiled at me, “Thank you for helping me again.”
 
I didn’t reply and she walked away, going to her first class. I also picked my bag up and looked at my schedule. First class: math, room 222. I’m pretty good at finding my way around places, so it didn’t take long to find the class. I walked in and saw the teacher at her desk, getting ready for the lesson.
 
“Oh, hello.” She greeted when I walked up to her. “Transfer student from China?”
 
I nodded.
 
“Nice to meet you. I’m Ms. Lee, your new math teacher.” She introduced herself.
 
“Kris.” I said, no expression on my face. She looked at me expectantly, expecting me to say something else. Yeah, that wasn’t going to happen.
 
“Very well then.” She cleared as the bell rang again. “All right everyone!” she called, getting the class’ attention. Oh how wonderful, class introductions. “This is our new student. He’s a transfer student from China and will be with us for the rest of the year. Please show him what good people we are and show him around. This is a new country for him, so it will take him some time to adjust to our lifestyle.” She said. What am I? 5? I can find my own way to adjust to the lifestyle here and get myself around. I’m not a baby, stupid teacher.
 
Then she looked at me, “You may introduce yourself to the class now.”
 
May I not?
 
“I’m Kris.” I said bluntly, showing no expression on my face. They all looked at me in anticipation that I was going to reveal more about myself. That's funny, it's also never going to happen.
 
I scanned the faces and found her, the clumsy girl. She smiled at me again and I looked away. Nice smile or not, smiles disgusted me.
 
“Ahem.” Ms. Lee cleared again. “Kris, you may sit beside,” she scanned the empty seats. “Kim Myungsoo. Raise your hand, Myungsoo.”
 
The guy, Myungsoo, raised his hand and I went to my seat. He gave me another smile, “Hi.”
 
I looked at him and nodded. The lesson started and math went on for another hour. The teacher told me I might have to attend after school classes so that I could catch up. I gave her a scoff and told her I wouldn’t need that. I did math at my old school too, it isn’t some sort of foreign language.
 
My next class was Com. Tech. The teacher didn’t make me introduce myself, smart teacher.
 
The girl was in that class as well. This time, I was seated right beside her.
 
“Hello!” she said cheerfully. “I see you’re in this class as well. What a coincidence! Our lockers are beside each other and our first two classes are together.”
 
I gave her a weird look. So far, people had decided to avoid me because I was, to put it simply, cold and rude. But she clearly was missing out on a few things.
 
“I’m Sara. Welcome to our school and Korea.” she held out her hand. I looked at it and turned away. She slowly put her hand down and nodded in understanding, “I guess you don’t shake hands. That’s fine!”
 
What's wrong with this girl? Never had anyone talked to me in such a friendly way. Especially a total stranger.
 
“So, how do you like Korea?” she asked, opening her binder.
 
 “Are you living alone?” she questioned. “Or do you have relatives here?”
 
I started to grow annoyed, I’d known this girl for 5 seconds and already she was acting like she was allowed to question me as if she had known me for decades. Why was she being so friendly to me? Are there actually people who are nice for no reason? I doubt that.
 
“Can you keep your mouth shut?” I growled.
 
“Oh, am I bothering you?” she asked, blinking. “Sorry, you probably don’t want to talk right now.” she turned back to her books. Finally.
 
When CommTech was over, it was time for lunch. Finally, a moment of peace.
 
Turns out I was wrong; girls kept crowding me and asking me questions. They tried to be friends with me. No, that is not going to happen.
 
I slammed my locker shut with a loud BANG! The girls jumped.
 
“Leave me alone.” I snarled.
 
They stepped back at my hostility. I walked away and went downstairs.
 
“Kris! Kris!” someone called. I looked behind me. It was her, Sara. I rolled my eyes and continued walking outside.
 
“Kris!” she said breathlessly was she reached me. I stopped walking. “Are you eating lunch with anyone?”
 
“I was planning on eating alone.” I said pointedly, walking again. She walked with me.
 
“Great! We can eat lunch together then!” she said cheerfully.
 
“I specifically said alone.” I emphasized.
 
“You don’t want to eat lunch alone!” she exclaimed. “It’ll be boring. Even if you have someone like me, you won’t be as bored,"
 
I rolled my eyes again, “Don’t you have any friends? Go play with them.”
 
She smiled again, “You wanna eat outside, huh? Let’s go!” she said, ignoring my suggestion.
 
I sighed, knowing I wasn’t going to get anywhere with this. This girl was pretty persistent. I smirked to myself; let’s see how long she can be so persistent and happy with me. This might be a little fun.
 
We walked on and she just kept on blabbering. God, I didn’t know a person could talk so much.
 
“Can’t you keep your mouth shut for 2 minutes?” I snapped, getting really annoyed now. This was why I hated hanging out with people and this world. Either they’re too good, or too bad.
 
She sheepishly smiled, “Haha oops. I tend to run my mouth off a lot.”
 
I snorted. No kidding.
 
As we were walking, more girls came up to me.
 
“Hi~~~” one cooed. “I heard you’re new. I’m Jessica. What’s your name?”
 
“I don’t give my name to strangers.” I said bluntly, walking past her and her little possy.
 
She scuttled after me, “But I’m not a stranger! We go to the same school! We’re classmates.”
 
“Are you in any of my classes?” I asked. “No. So I don’t know you, which makes you a stranger. Now go away.”
 
Jessica blew on her bangs, “Listen here. You’re new, so you might not know how things are done here. But I rule this place and-”
 
“I don’t care, leave me alone before I make you.” I said menacingly, who did this girl think she was? I rule this place…. Go kiss a paper maché . Another reason why I hate this world, because there are people like her in it.
 
Behind me, Sara scrambled to keep up.
 
Jessica gave me a look, but sauntered off with her friends. She looked behind only to glare at Sara who fearfully ducked her head and walked at a faster pace.
 
“Let’s sit under this tree!” she pointed at one. I ignored her and went to the next tree.
 
“Orrrr,” she followed me. “This one.”
 
I inwardly groaned. She was unfazed by my naturally rude and unbearable attitude. How much longer would she be able to handle my enmity?
 
She sat down and patted the seat next to her, “Come! Sit.”
 
I turned around and went back to the first tree.
 
I knew she was smiling when she said, “Oh, so you want to go to that tree after all? Why didn’t you just stay there, silly!”
 
I silently kissed my teeth and sat down near the tree. She sat down beside me.
 
“You can go now.” I said, lying down. “You dropped me off to lunch. Goodbye.”
 
She giggled, “I’m staying for the whole lunch! You’ll be bored otherwise.”
 
I sulked and closed my eyes, feeling her ees on me. I tried ignoring it at first, but then I grew self conscious and aggravated.
 
My eyes snapped open, “Is there a problem?”
 
She blinked, “No.”
 
I sat up, “Then why are you staring at me?”
 
“I was just wondering if you were going to eat.” She shrugged, taking her lunch out of her bag.
 
“No.” I lay back down again.
 
“Why?” she inquired.
 
“I don’t feel like it.” I answered.
 
“But you should eat! There's a reason why this is called lunch you know,” she said. “It’s not healthy to skip meals. And look! You’re already so skinny.”
 
I pinched my eyebrows, “Worry about yourself.”  I said. “And while you're at it, do it somewhere else.”
 
She didn’t answer and just ate her sandwich. I didn’t say anything either and when she offered me some of her food, I declined. Wow, she was pretty stubborn. How many hints had I dropped about her leaving me alone? Scratch that, they weren’t hints, they were straight out statements and she still wouldn’t leave. Pretty impressive. It was weird; normally I would get really irritated by a person being around me longer than 2 minutes, but I was only slightly irritated.
 
I lay down again and closed my eyes.
 
Then I opened them again, “I’m going to sleep. You can leave now.”
 
She sighed and stood up, “Okay. I’ll go. But only cuz today is the first day and you probably need time to settle here. But,” she warned. “I’ll be back to keep you company tomorrow!”
 
I glared at her, “There’s no need to come back tomorrow. Goodbye, hopefully forever.”
 
She giggled, again unfazed, “Nope! Bye Kris!” she waved and walked away.
 
Good. She’s gone. No more pesky, optimistic girl bothering me.
 
But it did feel empty after she left; no one was chewing my ear. Weird, very weird.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
After school I was at my locker, it was the end of the day and it couldn’t have come sooner. I zipped up my backpack and pulled it over my shoulder. As I turned around, I bumped into her.
 
“Oh, sorry.” She apologized as she looked up at my face. Then she grinned, “You’re going home now too? Let’s go together! Wait for me.” She hurriedly spun the combo to her locker. Well obviously I’m going home now, it’s the end of the day.
 
I waited for two seconds and then turned around and walked away. I smirked to myself, I’ll finally lose her.
 
I was wrong; she caught up with me 2 minutes later.
 
“You left!” she said breathlessly because she had been running.
 
“I know.”
 
“Why? I told you to wait for me so that we could go together!”
 
“That’s exactly why I left.”
 
She smiled, “Don’t be such a negative Nancy~” she poked my stomach. I glared at her, “Don’t touch me.”
 
Then I added, “And my name is not Nancy, so don’t call me that.”
 
“It’s an expression.” She said, as if I didn’t know that.
 
I walked faster and she caught up with me, “You’re a really fast walker! It’s probably those long legs of yours, huh?”
 
“Whatever.”
 
She gave me another smile, it was an eye smile. I would never, ever admit this out loud, but I…..melted. It was so weird!
 
“How do you get home?” she asked. “I go by bus.”
 
“Why do you care?” I snorted.
 
She shrugged, “I was just wondering.”
 
I didn’t reply, but after a while I felt guilty again. Second time today, this girl was really something. “I take the bus too.”
 
She brightened, “That’s great~! We can be Bus Buddies!”
 
I rolled my eyes. Bus buddies? Really? Oh Lord.
 
“Let’s go!!!” she cheered and ran outside. This is new, she’s the one running from me now. I purposely walked slower.
 
She came back, “Come on! Hurry up!” she grabbed my hand and pulled me along.
 
For some reason, I didn’t stop her.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Here's the first chapter ^_^
 
Please comment~!
 
Have a nice day! :D