Nine

Realization

We sat in the cafeteria. I told them about my second meeting with Jonghyun. BoA’s and SoEun’s faces were filled with surprise. I had just finished telling the story about my accident with Jonghyun, and BoA and SoEun were laughing their asses off when Hongki and his friend Jaejin sat down at our table.
“Hi girls,” Jaejin said and flashed a charming smile in our direction. He always tried to flirt with all the girls he could get, and he usually succeeded, but we were used to him and his methods by now… I turned to look at Hongki.

“How was work yesterday?” he asked. “Did you break anything?” I blew a raspberry at him and he threw a handful of rice at me.
“Yah!”
“Answer me. Did it go well?” He smiled but his eyes looked serious.

“It went well and I did not break anything!” I told him. He laughed at me and I decided not to tell him about my little accident with Jonghyun. Unfortunately had BoA set her mind otherwise.
“_____, you have to tell the about when you tripped on Jonghyun’s bag. It’s hilarious!” She laughed at the thought. I turned to look at her and she saw my deadly look.

“Oops.” She covered with both hands. How discreet…      -.-

 

Hongki who had just been sitting leaned back in his chair straightened up and looked cautiously between me, BoA and SoEun.

“What happened?” Jaejin looked curiously at me. I squirmed in my seat. SoEun who hadn’t seen my killing glare at BoA started to tell my story, since I didn’t do it myself.

“… I would’ve wanted to see that scene for myself,” SoEun finished and she, BoA and Jaejin burst out laughing. I sneaked a peek at Hongki and noticed his strange face. I wanted to sink threw my chair, to the other side of the world.

 

“Did he do anything to you?” Hongki suddenly asked fiercely.

“BWOH!? NO! I was just clumsy.” Why did he sound so angry?

“Lucky for him…” We all looked at him with wonder. He looked some kind of demon, planning the most painful way to kill his prey. Scary…

“O-kay…” Jaejin said to break the awkward atmosphere. “Hongki, are you seeing Yuri tonight?” Hongki seemed to come back from his demonic world.

“Oh, well… yes.” He scratched the back of his head.

“Aww. What are you going to do?” SoEun asked.

“I was thinking that we’d have dinner and then I thought I’d improvise,” Hongki said timidly.

“improvise? That’s brave. Good luck man,” Jaejin said and friendly punched Hongki on his shoulder.

“Thanks.” Hongki touched rubbed the shoulder where he had been hit and glanced at me where I sat, showing my teeth in a faked smile.

“Good luck oppa!” I said still wearing that damn smile. I felt like someone had grabbed some important part in my chest and now squeezed it as hard as they could.

 

“But _____-ah, I can drive you home anyway because Yuri and I aren’t meeting until later tonight,” Hongki said.

“I’m working today also…”

“No problem, I’ll just drive you there then,” Hongki said. I guess he was trying to make up for the other day when he didn’t drive me home…

“Okay, see you later then oppa.” I grabbed my things and went for my afternoon classes.

 

HONGKI’S POV

I stopped my car outside the coffee shop and got out to open the door for _____. I followed her inside. He was already there, sitting at a table by the window. Was he stalking her?

 

_____ stopped so suddenly that I almost walked right into her.

“So you’re already here?” _____ asked and the blonde guy looked up. He put on a surprised face but it was obviously an act, I’m sure he noticed us when we entered. The guy looked at me and his happy smile evaporated in a nanosecond.  

“Who’s this?” he asked. Rude    -.-

“Oh, this is Lee Hongki. Hongki oppa, this is Kim Jonghyun.” _____ pointed at us as she introduced us.

“Is he your boyfriend?” I said at the exact same time as Jonghyun. I guess not then… _____ laughed at us.

“No way!” She laughed. “Hongki’s my best friend since, like, forever. Jonghyun was the one who saved me the other day.” So, he was the one…