Eleven

Realization

“My friend is having a party tonight, wanna come?” BoA said and shoved her books into her locker.

“Of course! We haven’t been to a party in years!” I exclaimed.

“’Years’ is a bit exaggerated, weren’t we on a party last Friday?” SoEun asked.
“It was too lame, it doesn’t count as a party.”

“My house at seven then,” BoA settled.

 

The three of us examined each others outfits carefully. BoA and SoEun looked at me.
“You’ll have to change,” BoA determined.

“What!? Why?” I looked down at my clothes. What was wrong with them?

“We’re going to a party _____, not a dinner with your future parents-in-law. You look way too formal,” SoEun said.

“You really have to learn to dress after occasion,” BoA said and opened her closet. SoEun and BoA held up garment after garment in front of me, but they didn’t approve of any of them.

“I got it!” BoA suddenly blurted. She ran out of the room and soon returned with a tiny black cocktail dress dangling in one hand and a pair of black heels in the other.

“We have the same size in shoes, right?” she smirked, satisfied with herself.

I skeptically inspected my reflection in the mirror.

“Isn’t it too short?” I pulled my dress.

“No, no. It fits you perfectly.” BoA stared at me.

“Really?” I asked with a suspicious tone in my voice. They couldn’t say I was ugly even if that was the case, right? They are my friends after all.

“Just shut up… Let’s do your hair. SoEun, can you do something to improve the make up?” What was the fuzz about? It’s not like I’m going on a date…

 

“Are you sure this dress isn’t too short? I don’t want my to become a public access…!” I said as we got closer to the party. My friends didn’t even bother to answer. We entered the gates and went up the stairs to the big house. Like, huge house! The doors were open and a girl in our age waved us in.

“Everyone’s out the back.” She went ahead of us and showed the way.

 

The backyard was packed with people. They were everywhere. On the lawn, by the grill, in chairs around tables and I actually saw people sitting in one of the trees… but there was no one in the gigantic pool. What a waste! I should’ve brought my bikini if I had known there was a pool… or not. On second thought, I wouldn’t feel very comfortable to take a swim whit this much people around… I looked at all the people but I didn’t recognize a single one of them.     -.-

 

“Yah! Earth to _____.” BoA waved a hand in front of my face. “Looking for Hongki, or what?” BoA put her hands to her sides and crooked an eyebrow.

“No!” Maybe a little… “I was just searching for a familiar face.”

“Whatever. Let’s go and get something to eat.” BoA and SoEun dragged me with them to the grill, and we lined up to get some food.

 

There was a lot of pushing and people trying to squeeze their way to the grill, but we eventually managed to reach our goal. Three guys were standing on the other side. They smiled at us.

“What can we get you, ladies?” one of them asked.

“What do you have to offer?” BoA reciprocated the smile. One of the guys started to tell the ‘menu’ and I soon lost my interest. I told my two friends that I was getting something to drink and they said they’d get some food for me. As if, they sure were just going to flirt with those boys. I’d be forgotten in no time.

 

I ran into the girl who had greeted us and asked where I could get some refreshments. She told me to go into the kitchen and grab something there, unless I wanted to hustle by the grill with all the drunks.

 

The kitchen was pretty crammed too, but not as bad as the backyard. I tried my best to find something without alcohol but the only thing I was left with then was water… I grabbed a cider from the fridge and made my way out again.

 

I stood on the terrace and let my eyes sweep the yard. There was even more people there than before, if that was possible… I recognized a few from my school, but no one I really knew.

 

I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around. My eyes grew round in surprise.
“Jonghyun oppa? What are you doing here?” I asked.

“I could ask you the same, you look pretty lost,” he said with a teasing smile.

“I actually have no idea. I don’t even know who is throwing this party…”

“Neither do I.” He laughed and looked at me. “You look stunning tonight.” He unconsciously lifted an eyebrow. I blushed and looked out over the crowd again.

“Thank you.”

 

Just then I spotted a very familiar face in the crowd around the bar. Hongki, what was he doing here? And with that amazingly pretty girl by his side? I gripped the terrace rail and clenched my teeth together. I saw Hongki slowly turn his head in my direction and I quickly turned around.

“What’s the matter?” Jonghyun gazed out over the mass.

“Nothing,” I answered, too fast. “Do you want to dance?”

“Well, I…” Jonghyun started. I drank the last of my cider.

“Let’s go.” I grabbed his arm and dragged him down the stairs, towards the horde of dancing youths.

 

HONGKI’S POV

I looked around. Wait, was that _____? She turned around, facing someone. Jonghyun… then it has to be her. I watched her finish her drink and then grab Jonhyun’s arm. She dragged him down the terrace and into the dancing crowd and I noticed that he didn’t do much to resist her dragging him with her. But dancing? _____ never dance, she always says she can’t dance. She always have. Jonghyun, don’t you dare do something to her.

 

“Hongki?” Yuri looked at me with wondering eyes. I stared back at her with my thoughts elsewhere.

“I fell like dancing. Do you want to dance?” I took her by her wrist and pulled her onto the dancelawn. I looked for _____ and Jonghyun, and there they were. I could see them through the hubbub of people. They were dancing. Very close. Far too close.

 

JONGHYUN’S POV

She grabbed my arm and started to pull me onto the grass where everyone was dancing. What was with her? And what was with me? I didn’t even try to resist.

 

She dragged me to the middle of the crowd and then stopped. I turned her to face me and we started to dance. It was cramped and it was hard to keep a decent distance from each other. Someone accidentally pushed her from behind and she took a step forward to keep her balance. There was practically no space between us now and I could feel her body against mine, moving in perfect harmony.