Six

Realization

The mood between me and Hongki was quite awkward I noticed as we sat quiet in his car on our way to school.

“You don’t have to drive me home after school today,” I told him.

“Why? Do you have plans with BoA and SoEun?”

“Actually, I got a job yesterday.” I smiled at the memory of my weird interview yesterday.

“Just like that? That’s great!” Hongki beamed at me. “Well, I don’t have any plans so maybe I should just drive you there.”

“Oh, there’s no need. I’ll just take the bus,” I said. I just had to find that bus stop first…

“I don’t think so considering what happened the last time you were going by yourself.” Hongki found a free spot in the parking lot and started to park the car. His comment about my accident and our little fight left us with an awkward silence.

“Alright then, I’ll let you drive me,” I said.

“Good.”

 

I tried my best to guide Hongki through town to the coffee shop.

“Turn right. Straight on here. LEFT! Here it is.” We both got out of the car and he followed me inside.

“Mr Kim?” I called and the man stuck his head out the kitchen door.

“One second…”

 

Hongki looked around.

“This place is cosy. Maybe I should bring Yuri here, what do you think?” Hongki studied a menu from the table at his side. Yuri was the girl he dated, I figured.

“Is she the girl? Of course you should bring her here, I’d really like to meet her!” I lied sadly. “And when you do you have to taste the chocolate cupcakes,” I added and shared a secret smile with Mr Kim who joined us at that moment.

“Are they good?” Hongki looked up from the menu. “Oh, Ahneyonghaseyo,” he greeted Mr Kim and bowed politely.

 

“I’ll be leaving then. Good luck on your first day at work.” Hongki waved at me and headed towards the door. He opened it and let someone else in before he went out himself. The person who had entered made a halt.

“_____?” he said.

“Jonghyun?” I said with my eyes wide with surprise.

“So we meet again…” he smiled sweetly. This was my first time seeing him in daylight and I can’t deny that I took advantage of the opportunity and took a good look at him.

 

He was VERY good looking, no doubt, how could I not have noticed that last time? Those cheekbones were virtually perfect, and gawd that jaw line! I almost started to drool…

He wore a simple white t-shirt, which exposed his tanned muscular arms (and I’m sure that they, unfortunately, must have hidden a few abs…). And he wore a par of skinny black jeans that fit him perfectly. His brown eyes observed me from underneath his bangs. Gosh, he was hot!

 

I snapped out of my trance and felt how all the blood from my entire body rushed to my cheeks. Jonghyun just stood there with a confident smile playing on his lips. I turned to Mr Kim.

“What do you want me to do?”

 

HONGKI’S POV

I looked over my shoulder and saw _____ standing there with a strange face inside the coffee shop. I turned around fully and discreetly tried to see what was going on. There was that weird blonde guy I had met in the door. Why was she staring at him so much? Did they know each other? And why did he look at her that way? ert! I growled and felt anger stir up my inside. I was almost about to walk back in there when _____ suddenly turned to Mr Kim with extremely red cheeks and the hurried to the kitchen.

 

I slowly walked up to my car. I was confused over my emotions. Why was I so upset? So what if some guy flirted with _____, I had a girlfriend now. Or at least almost…

 

JONGHYUN’S POV

_____ looked at me intensively. It might just have been for a few seconds but for me it felt like an eternity and I started to feel a little embarrassed. What was she looking at? I tried to keep my insecurity to myself and just smiled at her. What was she doing here anyway?

 

Suddenly _____ turned away.

“What do you want me to do?” she was sent into the kitchen to get a cloth and wipe some tables. So, she was the new waitress…

 

“Jonghyun?” I snapped back to reality as a voice spoke to me.

“Yes, appa?”