Thirteen

Realization

I could hear whispers around me. I tried to open my eyes, but it seemed like I couldn’t find the strength to do it. And my head! There was an insistent pain in my head that never seemed to subside. What had happened? I struggled to remember but my mind remained blank. All that was, was the excruciating pain. I could feel my hand twitch and the voices around me silenced.

“_____?”

 

I fluttered my eyes open and tried to focus my gaze on the people leaning over me. The first person I recognized was Jonghyun.

“Oppa?” what was he doing there? Right, he’d also been to the party. Oh, the party… I had a sudden flashback of me and Jonghyun dancing together, intimately. I blushed furiously. Did that really happen?

“_____-ah?” Jonghyun looked at me worriedly. Another voice said my name and I moved my gaze to the next face.

“Hongki oppa?” Another flashback. They were also dancing, Hongki and Yuri. Hongki tried to meet eyes with me but I averted my gaze and tried to sit up. Both Jonghyun and Hongki held up their hands to stop and they looked at each other. I sat up and Jonghyun put a pillow behind my back. I gave him a weak grateful smile.

 

Suddenly BoA and SoEun burst into the room.
“_____, you’re awake!” BoA screamed. My head!

“You made us worried sick,” SoEun said with teary eyes.

“Mianhaeyo, I didn’t mean to… and your dress.” My eyes widened in fear. It must be ruined.

“Stop apologizing, are you okay?” BoA and SoEun pushed the boys out of their way and sat down on each side of the bed.

“My head hurts a little.” A lot! “And I feel confused. Where are we?”

“We’re still at the party. You remember the party, right?” BoA looked at me intensively. I nodded but quickly stopped since the pain got way worse by doing that.

“You’ve been unconscious for a while,” SoEun said. “If you hadn’t waked up we would’ve called for an ambulance…”

“Wa! Unconscious? What happened exactly?”

“You fell into the pool and hit your head,” BoA told me. SoEun leaned closer.

“Jonghyun saved you,” she whispered.

 

Jonghyun? Saved me? Again? The three of us looked at him without him noticing.

“He pulled you out of the water. Well, Hongki helped him, but Jonghyun was the one who actually jumped in and saved you,” BoA said, and then added: “So hot…”

“You weren’t breathing so… he kind of…” BoA and SoEun looked at me and their eyes slipped to my mouth. I brought a hand to my face and touched my lips.

“Mouth-to-mouth,” BoA stated. I gasped. Mouth-to-mouth as in his mouth touching mine? That was practically a kiss… no, that totally was a kiss! My first kiss. And I was unconscious!?  O.o  No way, that didn’t count!

“…three breaths…”

“Say what!?” I exclaimed and made Jonghyun, Hongki and Yuri look our way.

 

Yuri. What was she doing here? The three of them approached the bed I was lying in. I looked at Yuri. She gave me a shy smile.

“Hi…” she said and I answered with a short nod.

“Oh, _____ this is Yuri. Yuri, this is _____, my best friend,” Hongki introduced us. His best friend. Those words hurt worse than my head.

 

Yuri reached out her hand and I shook it.

“Nice to finally meet you, Hongki talks about you all the time,” she said. He does? O.O

“Oh, you’re so cold!” She looked at my hand. Now that she said it I could feel it too. Actually, my entire body felt cols. I was freezing like never before.

“We have to get you out of those wet clothes,” SoEun said.

“Maybe someone should just take her home,” BoA suggested.

“I’ll take her. I think I need to go home and change as well,” Jonghyun said. That poor guy. He was just as wet as I was. He must be freezing too… I’m such a klutz! Let’s get home as soon as possible…

“Let’s go Jonghyun,” I said and started to get out of the bed. BoA and SoEun helped me the best they could.

 

 I slowly stood up, my legs seemed to bear me. I took a tentative step forward, and then another. A bit shaky, but I could walk.

“Make sure you get her home safely,” I heard Hongki’s voice behind me. He looked straight at Jonghyun with a fierce stare.

Don’t worry. I will,” Jonghyun answered coldly. What’s with the sudden hostility? Then Jonghyun took a firm grip around my waist and led me out of the room. Someone else who has some kind of feeling of déjà vu?  

 

Jonghyun led me to his car, sat me in the backseat and then hopped in to drive off. I lay down in the backseat.

“You’re really clumsy, do you know that?” Jonghyun looked at me in the rearview mirror.

“Of course I know. I’ve always been like this and, most likely, will always be like this.” I yawned and closed my eyes but then I suddenly sat up. My head…

“Wait!”

“What?” Jonghyun sounded worried.

“I can’t go home like this. My parents will never let me go to another party, ever.” I looked down at myself. I was wet all the way into my (-.-) and I sure had make up all over my face. Not that my parents are very strict, just a bit… protective. And seeing me come home with another guy than Hongki… Uh-uh.

 

“Well, you could always stay at my place…” Jonghyun avoided my gaze in the mirror. Crash at Jonghyun’s house…

“We wouldn’t be sharing rooms,” Jonghyun added.

“But Mr Kim…” I remembered my boss.

“They’re not home, my parents I mean.” I started to feel really nervous and I started to sweat despite the fact that I was freezing like a camel in the northern pole. But did I have any other choice? My parents would drop dead if they knew, but who said they must know? I gulped.

“O-okay. I’ll do it.”