Ten

Realization

I laughed nervously and escaped to the kitchen. I said hello to Mr Kim and took my apron down from its hook. I took a deep breath and prepared myself to return to the boys.

 

Hongki still stood close to the door staring at Jonghyun who stared back at him. Did I miss anything? I put the apron around my neck and tried to tie the straps behind my back as I walked to an abandoned table next to Jonghyun’s.
“Do you need some help with that?” Before I could answer Jonghyun had already risen from his chair and stepped up to me. He grabbed the loose ends of the straps at my apron and gently started to tie it.

“Is it too tight?” I could fell Jonghyun’s breath in my neck and I felt my heartbeat speed.

“No.” I glanced at Hongki. He had turned his back at us. Jonghyun finished the rosette.

“Is that okay?”

“Yes. Thank you.” I started to collect the dishes and then hurried back to the kitchen. What the hell was that? I put a hand on my chest and felt my heart beat like a drum. I didn’t understand anything right now. What was the matter with Hongki? What was the matter with me? And why did Jonghyun do that? Too many questions! At that moment I really wished I could read those guys minds.

 

“_____-ah!” Hongki’s voice called me out.

!Yes oppa?” I stepped out from my hideaway.

“I’ve hot to go now, I promised Yuri to pick her up at six o’clock.”

“Of course. Go!” I felt a sting of jealousy in my stomach.

“I’ll pick you up for school tomorrow.” He placed his hand on the door knob.

“okay… bye oppa.” Hongki said good bye and then walked out the door. I watched him leave with a feeling of being completely helpless.

 

Jonghyun walked over to me.

“Don’t worry _____-ah, you still have me here to support you.” He patted my back. I looked up at him and gave him a weak smile.

“Come on. I’ll help you get started,” he said while putting on an apron similar to mine. I burst out laughing. He looked ridiculous, and I told him so.

“Ridiculous? Don’t you think it suits me?”

“Haha. Yes Jonghyun, you look very pretty,” I said ironically and started cleaning tables. Jonghyun immediately joined to help me.

 

Time flew by as we made our work into a game. I laughed my work hours away. When it was time to close the shop for the day Mr Kim almost had to kick me out.

“Do you want me to drive you home?” Jonghyun played with his car keys.

“That’d be great,” I answered happily.

 

Jonghyun kept on joking and teasing me all the way home, and when it was time for me to go I didn’t want to leave.

“Are you working tomorrow?” Jonghyun asked.

“No, Friday’s one of my nights off,” I said.

“Oh.” Was I hallucinating or was he actually looking disappointed?

“I work on Saturday though…”

“Why don’t I come and study at the café then?” Jonghyun smiled at me.

“I’d like that. Not everyone has the opportunity to have entertainment at their job, right?” I giggled and got out of the car.

“Night _____-ah.”

“Good night Jonghyun oppa.”

 

JONGHYUN’S POV

“Night _____-ah.”

“Good night Jonghyun oppa.” She smiled and slammed the car door closed. I felt the smile on my face grow bigger. Did she just call me oppa?