Chapter 7

All I Want is You

Today was the day; the day that Baekhyun was to formally introduce himself to Soojin.

As always, I was to be the middle person in this arrangement. I complied without much complaint, for I wanted to withdraw myself from this game, and watch Baekhyun play it for himself.

Through his unmentionable but thoroughly reliable sources, Baekhyun learned that Soojin would be staying late at school for a pre-planned study session with her friends. Unfortunately, all three of them backed out yet again with separate excuses. Personally, I was beginning to wonder if these clashes of plans between her and her friends were truly coincidental.

I was to replace them and become her study partner. How was I supposed to do that, Baekhyun had left me to figure out myself.

It was truly a of luck that I found her in the library when I was taking my shift as a librarian. We bumped into each other and exchanged pleasantries, and then got on talking as I arranged books on the shelf while she flipped the one that she pulled out. I tactfully mentioned an upcoming test that I had to study for and managed to get her to admit that she had to study for hers too. Arrangements were made, the venue set, and the time was determined. We would be staying in the library after school for an extra two hours before going home.

I texted Baekhyun the details and received a quick reply. He was going to prolong his practice with Chanyeol and then stay outside the main doors under the pretence of waiting for me. I was supposed to walk out with Soojin and the plan goes on from there.

We studied, long and hard might I add. There was barely any talk as we each perused our own books; the only times we looked up was when we required each other’s assistance on certain questions or to explain a theory or a topic.

Soojin made an excellent study partner; Baekhyun was a horrible one. He was the type of guy who just couldn’t sit still. Usually, he’d only stay put for about a few minutes, before finding an excuse like getting a drink or fixing a snack so that he could move around. Also, he had a tendency to annoy me when he was done, poking me with pencils or playing with my hair before I turned to him and gave him a good jab on the rib. He would retaliate, and all attempts to study would go down that drain as we engaged in some sort of tickle fight.

When two hours had passed, we called it a day and packed our books. Everybody had left now, so the library was basically empty. Since I was a librarian, I knew where they kept the spare key to lock to the door before we went out.

After turning the key and hearing the satisfying click, I slipped the key back under the mat in front of the door and proceeded to head out with Soojin, idly discussing about random topics as we walked. I hoped everything would go as planned.

Luckily, it did; when I opened the double doors, I found Baekhyun sitting on the top step, bopping his head to the song playing in his headphones. He turned when he saw us, and then flashed a breathtaking smile that I had forced him into showing; if there was anything about Baekhyun that could be considered more attractive that his other traits, it would be his smile.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw Soojin’s eyes widen in surprise.

“Hey,” Baekhyun said, jogging up to us and tugging out the headphones. “Right on time. I just got out the music room.”

Another tactic that I had drilled him on: be as casual as possible. Make it seem as if you were really waiting for me.

“My head’s pounding,” I told him, massaging my temples. “Anyway, this is Soojin. Soojin, meet my friend Baekhyun.”

Another breath-taking smile was flashed her way, and I saw the tiniest hint of a shy smile on her as she curled a lock of hair behind her ear. Well, looks like Baekhyun’s doing better than I expected.

Soojin cocked her head, examining him. “I think I know you,” she said wonderingly. “You’re the guy at the movies, weren’t you?”

Baekhyun’s mega-watt smile turned sheepish. “Yeah, sorry about that. I was looking for Yoora and you guys look alike from behind. You have the same coloured hair.”

I wouldn’t exactly say that my hair was an absolute likeness to hers, more like a shade darker, and a lot shorter. Maybe the lights had been playing on the colours of my hair to make it seem lighter and Baekhyun was too idle-minded to notice the actual length of her hair when he went up to her.

“Oh, it’s no problem. I know how it feels when you get the wrong person. I’ve been there so many times.”

I smiled politely as I watched them talk. I wasn’t supposed to interrupt, as per Baekhyun’s instructions, and was supposed to wait a few minutes for Baekhyun to get her to warm up to him before I cook up some excuse to leave.

I let their words wash over me, and my eyes drifted over towards the courtyard, where four paved paths joined together from the north, south, east and west to form a circle. In the middle of the circle was a garden of flowers, tiny blooms that danced and swayed in the wind, letting loose a fresh aroma that always left me in a good mood. The paved paths were linked together and enclosed the courtyard in a large rectangle, and each path that extended from the circle divided the courtyard into four sectors that were filled with lush green grass. Beyond that was an area paved with stone, cordoned off by stone balustrades before the land sloped downwards. Two stone steps climbed down on either side, and two benches were nestled next to both.  

My eyes caught sight of a lone figure on one of the benches, next to left staircase. He looked occupied, head cocked towards the sky as if he was determining patterns on the clouds. His hair was golden, like warm honey in the sun.

Luhan.

I didn’t know what compelled me, but somewhere, at the back of my mind, I registered it as a time to leave. Baekhyun was still talking to Soojin, sharing a joke with her that I didn’t hear. My eyes were glued on Luhan, on his laid-back figure, leaning against the bench as if he was posing for a modelling magazine. This was the first time I saw him since that day, the first I’ve ever seen him in school.

I pulled out my phone and pretended to check it. “Hey, guys,” I said, alerting the two of my existence, “I gotta go. My grandmother’s coming over and my mom wants me home early.”

“Oh, of course,” Soojin said, checking her watch. “I’m sorry. You and Baekhyun should get going.”

“Nah, it’s okay,” I said with a dismissive wave. “I can go alone. You two can hang out.”

I didn’t give Soojin a chance to reply but just gave her a quick wave. I flashed a look at Baekhyun and then turned and jogged down the stairs, smiling to myself as I discreetly glanced back. Now that I had done my part, I could only say good luck to my friend.

At first, I wanted to pass by Luhan just so I could get a better look at him, but the look of serene calmness I saw on his face as I neared him had me think twice. That, and the nervous tingle that travelled down my spine at the sight of him. I veered the other way, deciding to take the right staircase instead.

I did not expect to hear his voice calling me.

“Hey, Yoora, wait up!”

I heard the some scuffling and the sound of shuffling footsteps. I slowly turned. Luhan was walking up to me, bag slung over his shoulder as he flashed me one of his bright smiles. His hair looked messy, as if he had fallen asleep somewhere in the garden, and his shirt was slightly crumpled, though it still looked perfect on him.

“Going home?” he asked once he was close enough, squinting his eyes at the glaring sun.

“Yeah,” I answered. I took a deep breath. I had to keep myself in check. “What are you doing here so late?”

“Just hanging around. I think I fell asleep waiting for the people to leave. What about you?”

“I was studying,” I said, “with a friend of mine.”

“Ah,” Luhan nodded understandingly, “big test?”

The truth was that I cooked that up as an excuse to study with Soojin. Well, might as well just play along with it. “Yeah.”

“It’s getting late,” Luhan noted, glancing up at the sky. He was right; the sun was already tilting down the horizon. “Want me to walk you home?”

I didn’t know how to respond. There was only one boy who had walked me home, and that was Baekhyun, the guy I’d been hanging around with since pre-school. I was used to getting around on my own if he wasn’t with me, but I was partly tempted to accept Luhan’s chivalrous offer. However, if I said yes, it might make it too obvious that I had a crush on him.

I opened my mouth, but didn’t have time to say anything when Luhan shook his head. “That question was rhetorical. A girl shouldn’t be walking alone when it’s this late, and I don’t plan on letting you to.”

I watched speechlessly as he started towards the staircase. He glanced up when he realised that I wasn’t following him, the sun playing with the colours of his eyes. His lips lifted into a smile. “Well, come on,” he said playfully, “I don’t have all day.”

I let him walk me home.