Chapter 27

All I Want is You

I was standing in front of the fountain, absently gazing at the myriad of colours reflected on the water as it spiralled into the air. At night, the air around the fountain was cool, the tiny droplets that sprayed my cheeks as soft as caresses. I was waiting for Luhan to come back from retrieving his jacket, the one he realised he left behind when we were about to leave.

I hugged my arms and sighed contently, marvelling at the patterns formed by the spouting water and watching as gravity pulled it back and made it patter onto the wet ground.  I saw a few couples standing across from me, holding each other close as they whispered sweet words to each other.

“I never expected to see you here,” a familiar deep, obnoxiously smug voice said.

I sighed and didn’t say anything.

“A ‘hi’ would be nice.”

I rolled my eyes. “Hello, Jongin,” I said tartly.

Jongin laughed; apparently he found my open resentment towards him amusing. “A pleasure to see you too,” he replied.

“Can I help you?” I really wanted to get rid of him; I had no time to entertain his flirtatious banter and romantic attempts.

“Of course. We haven’t had a proper conversation before, have we?”

“No, you were too busy hitting on every other girl you meet,” I said flatly.

“True,” Jongin admitted. “But you... I’ve never met someone as impassive and immune to my charms as you.”

“Perhaps it’s because your ‘charm’ doesn’t appeal to me.”

Jongin smirked. “Makes it all the more interesting.”

“Are you trying to ask me out again? If so, then the answer’s still -”

“Relax Yoora,” Jongin said, cutting me off and holding his hands up as a sign of surrender. “I may be recognised as a player, but I’m not stupid enough to steal some guy’s girl.”

My cheeks burned. Was he referring to Luhan? “I’m nobody’s girl.”

“Ah, really? I thought you were, judging by how Luhan keeps a very close eye on you.”

“We’re friends,” I said automatically.

“Yes, friends,” Jongin mused. “That term seldom lasts long, especially between a boy and a girl. But then again, you and Baekhyun certainly have been friends for a very long time, haven’t you?”

“Yes,” I said, eyeing him warily. “Jongin, is there something you want that involves Baekhyun?”

Jongin smiled mysteriously. “Nope. Absolutely nothing. I’m just wondering how he’s been these past few days.”

“Fine,” I replied.

“Really? I find him looking distraught sometimes, uneasy. As if there’s something occupying his mind.”

“I don’t -”

“Especially if you aren’t with him,” Jongin said, cutting me off. He smiled pleasantly at me. “Why so?”

That look in Jongin’s eyes, the look that said he knew something that he wasn’t telling me, made me uneasy. “How am I supposed to know what goes on in his head?”

“That’s the problem isn’t it?” Jongin said with a sad shake of his head. “You’re in a mess, Yoora, a really big mess.”

My eyebrows furrowed. “Jongin, what on earth are you blabbering about?”

“That’s for me to know and for you to find out -soon.” He winked at me.

I threw my hands up in frustration. “Why am I even talking to you anyway?”

Jongin laughed. The sprays of tiny droplets that landed on his hear and skin made them shimmer under the light. “I’m just here as a concerned friend, Yoora. I know you detest me, but just know that I do sympathise with you. It’s going to be tough for you in the near future, and it’s going to involve a lot of complicated feelings.”

Okay, Jongin’s behaviour was really taking a turn to the bizarre.

“Alright, I must be dreaming,” I muttered aloud. “Kim Jongin’s getting philosophical on me. I’ll be seeing singing monkeys next.”

Jongin chuckled and shook his head, not the least bit insulted. “You better hope they can hit the right notes then. Anyway, I have something for you.” I was about to say something when he laughed. “Don’t give me that look. It’s from Kyungsoo. Absolutely free of charge.” He winked at me and tossed me a box.

I caught it easily, turning it in my fingers curiously. I peered into the little window at the front and was surprised to find the chocolates I made that day arranged in neat rows.

“He also told me to wish you good luck,” Jongin said as he zipped up his bag.

“For what?”

“For everything.” With a salute, Jongin left before I could say anything.


Luhan arrived a few minutes later, panting. A dark green jacket was slung over his shoulder and his clothes looked ruffled, indicating that he had to battle through a crowd to get backstage.

“I’m so sorry I’m late,” he apologised, easing one of the straps of his bag out of his arms to stuff the jacket in. “I got held up by some friends.”

“No, it’s fine,” I said. The strange conversation I had with Kim Jongin flickered through my mind, again plaguing my thoughts. Jongin wasn’t known to be academically outstanding but in his own way, he was smart, observant. What had he seen in Baekhyun that made him question me so?

Should I call Baekhyun and ask him if he was alright?

“Let’s go,” Luhan said, jolting me out of my thoughts. “I know a great place not far from here.”

Nodding, I followed his lead, letting him lead me into the bustling city in the middle of a Seoul Friday night.


Luhan and I had pizza for dinner, a meal which, despite my protests, he treated me to. We laughed and told silly stories over our pizza and soda, and I learned that Luhan could do remarkable impersonations.

I noticed a lot of the waitresses were trying to get his attention, batting their eyelashes and flashing alluring smiles at him. I was surprised to find that Luhan was barely paying attention to them, instead focusing on me as I told him about the little mishap Baekhyun and I experienced after he forced me to ditch school with him because he didn’t finish his homework. To admit the truth, it flattered me that he found me interesting, and I couldn’t help but bask in triumph whenever I was able to make him laugh.

After dinner, we decided to wander aimlessly around the city. Seoul was astounding at night, the lights twinkling on the storefronts and throwing colours onto the pavements. There was something ethereal about walking in the city at night, as if I had been transported into a land of dreams. The moon still hung above us, bright and silver and framed with bits of passing clouds.

“So,” he began when we were walking around in a small store selling little trinkets, “what did Sehun say to you?”

“Nothing much,” I said with a shrug, picking up a snow globe and shaking it so snow would fall onto the two swans that were mounted onto the base , positioned close to each other so that their necks interlinked to form a heart.

“I saw you two talking,” Luhan said, following my gaze as I watched the miniature snowflakes being suspended inside the globe before falling gently onto the swans. “He didn’t say anything embarrassing about me, did he?”

I laughed. “That’s what you’re worried about?”

Luhan chuckled. “I want to preserve my image. That annoying kid always takes the liberty to destroy my hard efforts, so,” he took the snow globe from my hands and set it back onto the shelf, turning me so I would face him, “tell me if he said something about me, so that I can see if I can repair the damage he’s done.”

“He just said that he, you and Yixing were close friends, and that he was supposed to be in the routine you were performing tonight.”

“Ah, that,” Luhan said, looking relieved. “Yeah, we’re close. Yixing is kind and gentle by nature, and also very understanding. I can always count on him as a motivator.”

“It’s too bad that Sehun sprained his ankle on the field,” I said ruefully. “It would have better if it had been the three of you.”

Luhan threw back his head and laughed. “He told you he sprained his ankle when he was playing soccer? Oh, that little devil,” he said as he shook his head.

“What? What’s so funny?”

“He didn’t sprain his ankle while he was playing, he sprained it because he was being stubborn.”

“How so?” I asked interestedly.

“Yixing’s the best dancer of the three of us, and has invented a complicated dance move which involves a lot of leg work and careful coordination. He showed it to us and Sehun, being the unthinking, stubborn mule he is, insisted that he could perform the exact likeness. It did not go well.”

I winced. “It must have hurt.”

“Not as much as his ego,” Luhan commented dryly. “That ended up much more sorely bruised, which probably explains why he was trying to salvage what’s left of it by telling you that he sprained his ankle in a game rather than admit that it had been his fault.”

I grinned. “Huh, to think you’re so worried about Sehun selling you out on some embarrassing moments. You’re having no problems revealing his.”

Luhan’s eyes glittered mischievously. “You wouldn’t understand; it’s sort of a Luhan and Sehun thing.”

“Ah, should I tell him you said all this?” I asked, smirking devilishly.

Luhan’s eyes widened. “No!” he yelled, waving his hands frantically. “He’d do something worse.”

I burst out laughing. “I’d love to see that.”

Luhan looked like he had seen a ghost. “Please, I’m begging you. Don’t tell him.” He grabbed me by the shoulders, trying to get me to look at his face while I was doubled up in laughter. “What can I do to convince you?” he begged.

“Why are you so afraid of him?” I asked, my laughter finally subsiding and I was able to look at him properly in the eyes.

“You have not experienced Sehun’s merciless wrath,” he said, looking for all the world serious.

I snorted and shook my head, not believing him.

“It’s true!” Luhan insisted.

“Alright, alright,” I said, waving my hand dismissively as I headed out of the store. Luhan trailed me, insisting that I believe him, but then, realising how ridiculous he must have sounded, gave up and joined me on my laughter.

I noticed that he had grabbed my hand at some point, taking the lead in our aimless wandering. I was surprised that although I was fully aware of his presence, this little gesture went without my notice, whereas any contact with Baekhyun made my heart thump uncontrollably and caused warmth to spread throughout my body.


“Hey, Yoora.”

Luhan’s voice was soft, quiet, almost blending into the night. Passing street lamps cast glows onto the road we silently walked on now; a road that was spattered with shadows. I tore my gaze away from the shadow of two people that stretched on the ground below us, moving when we moved and stopping when we stopped.

“Yeah?”

“Thanks. I had fun today,” he said, smiling softly at me.

“I should be the one thanking you, since you were paying for every little meal and snack we had,” I joked.

“Shouldn’t the gentleman always treat the lady?” Luhan asked in a mock high and regal voice.

I laughed and lightly smacked him on the arm. “That is so last century.”

We were almost at my house now. Being the gentleman he was, Luhan had insisted to walk me all the way there, citing the threat of rapists and thieves that lurk under the cover of the night. Seeing that he wouldn’t stop unless I gave in to what he wanted, I let him walk me home.

“Well,” Luhan said, letting his voice return to its normal tone and pitch, “maybe that’s true, but sometimes, I still go by that rule with that girls... especially those that I want to impress, and those that I probably want to go out with again.”

“It was fun for me too,” I admitted as we rounded the corner. I stopped and faced Luhan. “Thanks, really. Tell Yixing and Sehun that I said ‘hi’ to them.”

I turned to leave, but then was stopped when Luhan grabbed my wrist. I cocked my head up at him in confusion.

“We could do it again, right? Hang out together.” His eyes wavered from the light that pooled inside the irises.

I smiled at him. “Of course.”

Luhan let go of my wrist slowly, as if he was hesitant to do it. I gave him a wave quick wave and darted towards my gate, not bothering to turn back until I was in the sanctuary of the house and the threat of the curfew no longer hung over my head. Out of curiosity, I peered out of the curtains. I was surprised to find Luhan still standing in front of my yard, his gaze set onto the front door I had just slipped into. I couldn’t see his face clearly, but I noticed the smile that had etched itself onto his features –a smile that remained on his face even when he turned and walked away.